Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2016, 01:25 PM

14,768 posts, read 8,101,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
NKY has the coldest winters and also more ice storms than the rest of the state.

It is also the most German region of KY and Germans are the quintessential Midwest ethnic group. It is so German that Hofbrauhaus has one of its few locations in Newport. The rest of Kentucky isn't nearly as German and leans more to British Isles influenced (may also be why the accent is different in the rest of Kentucky where you can hear the British influence much stronger)
My paternal Grandparents were German, even though they lived in Louisville my Grandfather moved to Louisville from Indiana, and My Grandma who was born in Germany immigrated to America to Chicago, and then moved to Louisville also. My Mom's family were all from Henry County and have been in this country for well over 250 years - all came from the UK - Ireland, England and Scotland....so what you said, sounds right.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 12:32 PM

387 posts, read 491,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckyguy View Post
I not sure why the Northern part of Kentucky is always criticized on here for being Northern or yankee in culture, speech, etc in these forums on city data. I have not been accused of being a yankee because I am from the Northern part of Kentucky. It is for whatever reason only on this website that we are told we are yankees and not at all like the rest of the state mostly from people that aren't even from here!

Well, I would like you to hear from someone who actually lives in Northern Kentucky and can help set the record straight. We do as the rest of the state consider ourselves to Southerners. The Northern Kentucky for the most part is very rurual as much of the South. Many of us speak with a Southern twang as do many people in the rest of the state. Yes that is right, many here speak with a Southern accent. I hear a Southern accent very often here if not everyday. Many who are not from here won't believe me, but it's true!

Many of us like the rest of the South go to church on a regular basis. If you look at our voting records for our city here in Northern Kentucky, we vote Republican as does most of the South. We value family, having good manners and trying to treat people right. For the most part, people you come in contact with here are friendly and very nice. Is everyone, of course not, but that is true with any place even in the deep South.

Many of us would consider ourselves Cincinnatians due to how close we are to Cincinnati. However, Northern Kentuckians are Kentuckians first and Cincinnatians second if that. Some of us don't consider ourselves Cincinnatians at all. I am one of those people who does not consider myself to be from Cincinnati at all. I am from Kentucky and am very thankful to live in Kentucky. It is true that when you cross the river into KY are really are in another state with another culture that is very different than Cincinnati.

People that transfer here come from everywhere including Ohio. People come here from the Midwest and also from other parts of the South.

I don't know why, but it is mostly people from Louisville who question our part of the state being Southern. In fact, I have never heard anyone from Lexington say that about us. I would think given Louisville's geographical area and fact that they also get accused of not being Southern would understand that we are also not yankees. Is Northern Kentucky influenced by the Midwest, absolutely, but so is Louisville as well as other parts of Kentucky!

I don't care what anyone says on here. The Northern part of Kentucky is part of the South and is still an important part of Kentucky. Period.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
I would say the same thing, especially since I grew up in Northern Kentucky. I refuse to assume that NKY is even remotely part of Cincinnati. It’s not.

Old 10-28-2017, 02:48 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,052,961 times
Of course Northern Kentucky is part of the South. It just a very Northern influenced area of the South. Places at similar latitudes further East are the same way.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Of course Northern Kentucky is part of the South. It just a very Northern influenced area of the South. Places at similar latitudes further East are the same way.
You nailed it my man.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:13 PM

811 posts, read 888,188 times
I don't consider Northern Kentuckians Yankees. NKY is Southern with a heavy dose of Midwestern influence, mainly because of the Cincinnati TV Market and Sports Market. Once you cross the Ohio River South into Boone County you notice the difference almost immediately. Equestrian culture is evident, Southern inspired restaurants become more common, a water tower that says "Florence Y'ALL", the list goes on and on. One can also pick up on the accents shifting to more Southern or Appalachian sounding compared to Cincinnati which has a distinct Northern accent. There are some people in NKY who try to separate themselves from Kentucky, but no way to hide the Southerness Kentucky and NKY.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:18 PM

6,336 posts, read 11,083,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
I don't consider Northern Kentuckians Yankees. NKY is Southern with a heavy dose of Midwestern influence, mainly because of the Cincinnati TV Market and Sports Market. Once you cross the Ohio River South into Boone County you notice the difference almost immediately. Equestrian culture is evident, Southern inspired restaurants become more common, a water tower that says "Florence Y'ALL", the list goes on and on. One can also pick up on the accents shifting to more Southern or Appalachian sounding compared to Cincinnati which has a distinct Northern accent. There are some people in NKY who try to separate themselves from Kentucky, but no way to hide the Southerness Kentucky and NKY.
I'm a Connecticut Yankee and I don't really view NKY as being all that much of a Yankee area. BTW. Horse farms are every bit as popular in Connecticut as KY. I had three of them (granted they were small) within a mile of the home where I grew up outside of Hartford.

You definitely are in the South by the time you are around 15 to 20 minutes south of the river. Definitely OH influences in Covington where I live but they seem to disappear by the time you get to the areas south of there.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:12 PM

389 posts, read 330,173 times
As others have posted, and I happen to agree with, NKY has much more in common with Findley OH than it has with Hattiesburg, MS.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:29 PM

Pinky. Claiming the only cultural growth in Cincinnati is tied to its sports teams is hardly accurate. The area has some great museums and parks and while I have not visited them in years, I do recall enjoying them very much years ago when I had a chance to spend some time in them. And the Cincinnati/NKY area also has some excellent restaurants. Far better than most metro areas of similar size. They put to shame the places I've eaten at in Indianapolis over the years.

I will grant you the following. If you lived in the area and had problems with the people then I can relate. I've lived in some places over the years where I had nothing but trouble from the people. I mind my own business yet some go looking to start trouble. When I tell this to people they immediately claim I am at fault. BS of course. But yes, in some cases, the personality and behavior of some people won't be accepted by the people in a given area while in another area it won't be a problem. Thus, if you've had problems like this I will say that I understand where you are coming from. But to denigrate some of the finer aspects of the area solely upon bad experiences with the people is ignorant.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckyguy View Post
I not sure why the Northern part of Kentucky is always criticized on here for being Northern or yankee in culture, speech, etc in these forums on city data. I have not been accused of being a yankee because I am from the Northern part of Kentucky. It is for whatever reason only on this website that we are told we are yankees and not at all like the rest of the state mostly from people that aren't even from here!

Well, I would like you to hear from someone who actually lives in Northern Kentucky and can help set the record straight. We do as the rest of the state consider ourselves to Southerners. The Northern Kentucky for the most part is very rurual as much of the South. Many of us speak with a Southern twang as do many people in the rest of the state. Yes that is right, many here speak with a Southern accent. I hear a Southern accent very often here if not everyday. Many who are not from here won't believe me, but it's true!

Many of us like the rest of the South go to church on a regular basis. If you look at our voting records for our city here in Northern Kentucky, we vote Republican as does most of the South. We value family, having good manners and trying to treat people right. For the most part, people you come in contact with here are friendly and very nice. Is everyone, of course not, but that is true with any place even in the deep South.

Many of us would consider ourselves Cincinnatians due to how close we are to Cincinnati. However, Northern Kentuckians are Kentuckians first and Cincinnatians second if that. Some of us don't consider ourselves Cincinnatians at all. I am one of those people who does not consider myself to be from Cincinnati at all. I am from Kentucky and am very thankful to live in Kentucky. It is true that when you cross the river into KY are really are in another state with another culture that is very different than Cincinnati.

People that transfer here come from everywhere including Ohio. People come here from the Midwest and also from other parts of the South.

I don't know why, but it is mostly people from Louisville who question our part of the state being Southern. In fact, I have never heard anyone from Lexington say that about us. I would think given Louisville's geographical area and fact that they also get accused of not being Southern would understand that we are also not yankees. Is Northern Kentucky influenced by the Midwest, absolutely, but so is Louisville as well as other parts of Kentucky!

I don't care what anyone says on here. The Northern part of Kentucky is part of the South and is still an important part of Kentucky. Period.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Word up my man as someone who grew up in Northern Kentucky, I would refuse to identify as a Cincinnatian.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPetty View Post
Word up my man as someone who grew up in Northern Kentucky, I would refuse to identify as a Cincinnatian.
Having lived in NKY for a year now I would say that aside from the towns that border Cincinnati in Kenton, Boone and possibly Campbell Counties, yes the rest of the area is the south. Definitely the behavior is NOT like what I experience in central Indiana at all. People in NKY seem more friendly and a little less judgmental than the people I've dealt with in the Indianapolis area. And it is also a little different than the OH side. I still think places like Covington where I live does have some influence from OH simply because it is right across the river from the city and I do see a lot of OH places driving around on a daily basis in Covington. Regardless, living in NKY is a refreshing change for me from the time I have spent in Indianapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky