Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 10:50 AM

101 posts, read 285,773 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live in a large city in Michigan. We are looking for a small, safer town to live in, in Kentucky. We realize there are lots of towns in Kentucky that have drug activity and crime is high.

We plan on purchasing about half an acre and put a nice manufactured home on it. This won't be for about 2 years, (after my husband retires), but we plan on coming down and spending a week at a time to see what the areas are like.

Would anybody know of a halfway decent place? Also, a motel we can stay at that's not too expensive while we search the areas.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 01:07 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times
Do you mean Breckinridge County? It is a very pretty area btw Louisville and Owensboro. I'd say the crime is a lot lower than London, that's not a jab a people the live in that area but just a statement of general truth.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:21 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,574,245 times
Breckinridge County is much more rural than Laurel County, therefore of course there would be a lower amount of crime.

Old 12-28-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Do you mean Breckinridge County? It is a very pretty area btw Louisville and Owensboro. I'd say the crime is a lot lower than London, that's not a jab a people the live in that area but just a statement of general truth.
Thanks for the info. Now... since Breckenridge is a county, what cities would you suggest?

Cat

Old 12-28-2008, 04:52 PM

409 posts, read 873,174 times
I personally don't know much about Breckenridge county, although I did live in Breckinridge Hall for a year when I was in college
Here is a link to the wikkipedia page about Beckenridge county.
Breckinridge County, Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hardinsburg is the county seat and largest town. City of Hardinsburg, Kentucky: Information Resources for Hardinsburg Residents and Visitors. (http://www.hardinsburgkentucky.com/ - broken link)

One thing to keep in mind is the difference between populations for Breckenridge and Laurel Counties. Breckenridge is a little over 18,000 while Laurel (which London is the county seat of) is about 52,000. That impacts both counties quite bit in the factors you may be looking at to make your decision. Also, I suspect the economic base is very different between the two.

In the interest of completeness here is a link for the Laurel County Chamber of Commerce.
London-Laurel County Chamber of Commerce

Old 12-28-2008, 05:16 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,749,925 times
Hardinsburg, KY is a nice town from what I have read. Come check it out!

Old 12-28-2008, 06:53 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,574,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post
I personally don't know much about Breckenridge county, although I did live in Breckinridge Hall for a year when I was in college
Here is a link to the wikkipedia page about Beckenridge county.
Breckinridge County, Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hardinsburg is the county seat and largest town. City of Hardinsburg, Kentucky: Information Resources for Hardinsburg Residents and Visitors. (http://www.hardinsburgkentucky.com/ - broken link)

One thing to keep in mind is the difference between populations for Breckenridge and Laurel Counties. Breckenridge is a little over 18,000 while Laurel (which London is the county seat of) is about 52,000. That impacts both counties quite bit in the factors you may be looking at to make your decision. Also, I suspect the economic base is very different between the two.

In the interest of completeness here is a link for the Laurel County Chamber of Commerce.
London-Laurel County Chamber of Commerce
May I correct you? Laurel County's population is estimated to be 59,000.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:48 PM

InLondon, I am not at all trying to slight you or imply that you live in a shady area. It's just that I watch the news and I have family in Eastern KY/ TN and know who bad drug problems in the area are first hand.

All of Eastern KY has drug related crime problems, not just Laurel Co. Yesterday a body was found in a burned out car in Clay Co. There have also been more law enforement officers killed in the line of duty in the last 10 years than in Louisville and Lexington combined

Old 12-28-2008, 07:52 PM

cat48328, did you know the most rural KY roads are now on Google Street View? You can check out different areas without leaving home

Just zoom in by double right clicking over KY. Then click and drag the orange man at the top of the zoom feature over the map

Old 12-29-2008, 08:01 AM

Thank you for so much info! We really appreciate it! I just received a packet of info from the Chamber of Commerce from Breckenridge. It looks like Hardinsburg is a nice area. We'll do more research on that. The links you sent were helpful too.

Thank you again,
Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky