Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:10 PM

3 posts, read 11,109 times

Advertisements

Our family will possibly be relocating to Mayfield this summer. This is for a job offer. I would like opinions on the schooling there. Specifically, I would like to know what kinds of programs they have available for music and sports. Is there a local Parks and Rec department and if so what programs do they provide?
Also wanting to know if there are many people who would being willing to do a contract for deed type of home purchase? Did not have insurance for a time, while in college, and now do not have the credit to go the traditional route. Will have money for a down payment.
Is there a lot of crime or drugs in your community? Are there many stay at home mothers? Is it hard to find quality (as in safe, I do not expect others to educate my children unless in school or preschool) child care? Speaking of preschools; are there any available? Are there private and public schools available?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 09:19 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,903 times
I thought the only jobs in Mayfield were are the chicken processing places......I wouldn't live in the town of Mayfield. I would get a few miles out, JHO

Old 05-04-2012, 06:17 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,534,641 times

The Vision of Mayfield Kentucky - YouTube Hear about Mayfield from Mayor Teresa Cantrell.

I'm getting ready to move back to Mayfield myself. Was born and raised there. Mayfield is a good town. Sorry Sundance doesn't think so.
There are 2 school systems there. Mayfield Independent School System and Graves County School System. Mayfield Independent Schools Graves County Schools
The band at MHS is small but has ranked high each marching season. I can't tell you anything about GCHS band. Both teams have outstanding football and basketball teams. The Mayfield Cardinals have one of the top football teams statewide in Class A. I do think there is a private christian school in Mayfield. In the youtube video I posted the mayor talks about the school systems. I have a friend who has quite a few rentals and I think sells on contract. I'll see if I can get some info from him and DM you. I also disagree that the only jobs are at the chicken plants.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:45 PM

Forgot to mention, when you get to town and want some good bar-b-que, go to Mid Town on Broadway by St. Joseph Catholic church, or Larry, Darrel and Darrel's going south towards Walmart.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:27 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,788,903 times
Quote:
I also disagree that the only jobs are at the chicken plants.
Enlighten me. What other jobs are available?

Old 05-06-2012, 12:09 PM

Job is not located at the "chicken plants". LOL. So, I am guessing there is a Tyson plant there? Could someone let me know if there is a hospital, Drs. offices, and nursing homes there?

Old 05-09-2012, 06:18 AM

Sorry I didn't get back to you, Sundance. Busy trying to get ready to move to Mayfield. Designer, the Tyson plant is over between Madisonville and Henderson. Can't remember what chicken plucker this one is.
Here's the web site for Jackson Purchase Medical Center in Mayfield. Great hospital.
Home | Jackson Purchase Medical Center . There are several nursing homes and an assisted living facility in town. Someone close to me just moved in Morningside Assisted Living, and the rooms and apartments are amazing! Assisted Living - Mayfield, KY - Morningside of Mayfield . Here's a list of nursing homes in and around Mayfield.
http://www.ourparents.com/kentucky/mayfield I have visited with family friends who are living at Heritage Manor and they love it there and everybody seems very friendly.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:05 PM

Thank you so much! You have been very informative!

Old 05-09-2012, 07:19 PM

No charge. lol

Old 05-12-2012, 12:40 PM

4 posts, read 8,752 times
Default Wanting to relocate

Hello,

I sent a friend request to you, I hope that's okay. I am looking for a place to relocate my family and happened to find this thread. I was just wondering if there are houses to rent at a good price and if there is any kind of work available there. I work out of my house currently, but my wife has been looking for work for a long time and no luck here (Twentynine Palms, California).

I'd really love to get out of California, I was born here and have tried to escape a few times, but haven't succeeded as of yet! If you could point me in the right direction as far as checking out the area it would be very much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky