Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2007, 10:24 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be visiting the fine state of KY next month on my exploratory relocation trip. Because I realize that the job markets with the most opportunities are within the metroplex areas, I am considering Louisville, Lexington, and Cinci for work (while living in N KY), and perhaps living in the metro areas for 6-12 months until I purchase a house. That being said, I would be looking for an older house in an established neighborhood with a bigger lot. I don't care for the newer communities and cookie cutter complexes. Schools are of no concern to me, seeing I have no children. I also do not need a big house---perhaps a 2bedroom and 1.5 bath---certainly nothing more than 1000 sq ft.

Can you suggest areas outside the metro I should visit during my trip keeping my housing requests into consideration? As I said, I'd simply live in or close to the city temporarily until I found the house.

Thanks in advance
Cobolt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 02:16 PM

329 posts, read 1,099,598 times
Outside of Metro Lexington, I would suggest Richmond, Winchester, Mt. Sterling (if you don't mind a 30 minute commute), Paris is very nice. Georgetown... possibly even Frankfort, but that gives you the government employee gridlock during peak hours...

Don't know about Cincy or Louisville areas...

Good luck and welcome to our fine state!!! Hope you find your Utopia!

Old 09-26-2007, 03:07 PM

Thanks Des for the suggestions. I'll definately give them a look see.

I'm really looking forward to exploring KY and hoping it is my Utopia!

Old 09-27-2007, 09:00 AM

329 posts, read 1,099,598 times
Well... Richmond is more progressive like Lexington.. about a 25 minute drive and has about 30,000 people. Less expensive to live than Lexington, but has most of the amenities you'd probably want.

Paris is a really small town, but about 20 minutes to Lexington. Don't know a lot about Paris, but the road for a commute to Lex, has been improved and widened in the last 5 years and is beautiful. Just really peaceful there.

Mt. Sterling. about 30 minutes from Lexington on I-64 commute. Smaller town, but more factory type layout of the town. This is the first "flat" town after driving East towards Lexington, past Morehead (which is in the foothill mountains). Have not been there, but have heard many good things about this town. Might be worth a look-see anyway.

Winchester.. within 20 minute commute. Nice smaller town, with some amenities as well. Looks very pretty in the housing sections of town. Heard there is a major drug problem there, but I really can't that Winchester would be any worse for that type of crime than any of the towns that were mentioned. If it's something you're into... that's what you'll get. If you don't have much to do with drugs or druggie types, I don't really see it as being a huge problem for most people. Petty crime and property crime seems to be the biggest noticeable factor related to a lot of drug dealing in these areas. *shrug*

I think in comparison Kentucky has it's faults as all states do, but my opinion is.... it has WAY more advantages to living here, than most other states, so good luck, and I truly think you will find you DO want to live here, in spite of it's scars!

Old 09-27-2007, 10:09 AM

Thanks. KY has to be better than where I currently reside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky