Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2012, 02:32 PM

536 posts, read 961,782 times

Advertisements

I live up in Northern KY, and we are looking for an area to retire to. Thinking of Mayfield and surrounding area. More sunshine, and less snow there than here! What do folks think of Mayfield? Will want to buy land and build. Have not been there yet, and plan to visit to look around. We have been looking at other areas and states, and we keep coming back to KY. It's been a dream of mine to retire to some land and do some "mini" farming.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 02:45 PM

848 posts, read 1,953,243 times
There must be chicken processing plants in or around Mayfield. It's the home town of America's Got Talent winner Kevin Skinner. And that summarizes everything I know about Mayfield, Kentucky. lol

Old 10-21-2012, 08:33 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
I was born and raised here in Mayfield and have moved back after 37 years. Creek, there is a Pilgrim's Pride chicken processing plant and right across the highway is the Remington rifle factory. Not saying that's all there is. Just been back here since June and still learning where everything is. lol Last Friday's Mayfield Messenger (wish they had an online paper) had a story that 4 Mayfield businesses are expanding and relocating, bringing more jobs. Not an overabundance of jobs, but one of them, an agri business selling and servicing farm equipment is building a huge new building and the article said they'll be needing more mechanics.
I've always enjoyed coming back to Mayfield to visit my family, so was glad to have a chance to move back. Mayfield High School Cardinals football team 2 weeks ago won the 800th game in the history of the Cardinals.
Here's the Mayfield web page and a little about the town from the mayor. She's trying to get a few things going for people to do around town. This fall they opened the Mayfield/Graves Co. putt putt golf. A pretty nice 18 hole course for $2! Next closest putt putt is near Ky. Dam and I've heard it's close to $10/game. Next spring one of those little "water parks" where water shoots out of the ground, will be going up in one of the parks in town.
I could keep going but I'll hush now. lol Not saying everything is good about Mayfield but you're going to have good with bad no matter where you live. Hope you'll take some time to come and check things out.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:23 PM

848 posts, read 1,953,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I was born and raised here in Mayfield and have moved back after 37 years. Creek, there is a Pilgrim's Pride chicken processing plant and right across the highway is the Remington rifle factory. Not saying that's all there is. Just been back here since June and still learning where everything is. lol Last Friday's Mayfield Messenger (wish they had an online paper) had a story that 4 Mayfield businesses are expanding and relocating, bringing more jobs. Not an overabundance of jobs, but one of them, an agri business selling and servicing farm equipment is building a huge new building and the article said they'll be needing more mechanics.
I've always enjoyed coming back to Mayfield to visit my family, so was glad to have a chance to move back. Mayfield High School Cardinals football team 2 weeks ago won the 800th game in the history of the Cardinals.
Here's the Mayfield web page and a little about the town from the mayor. She's trying to get a few things going for people to do around town. This fall they opened the Mayfield/Graves Co. putt putt golf. A pretty nice 18 hole course for $2! Next closest putt putt is near Ky. Dam and I've heard it's close to $10/game. Next spring one of those little "water parks" where water shoots out of the ground, will be going up in one of the parks in town.
I could keep going but I'll hush now. lol Not saying everything is good about Mayfield but you're going to have good with bad no matter where you live. Hope you'll take some time to come and check things out.
Really, it's GREAT to hear about a small town that's not only holding its own, but expanding!

I think you forgot to include the link for the Mayfield web page, but I will take a look at it. I wonder how Kevin Skinner is doing and whether he stayed in Mayfield.

Edited to add: Link for Mayfield, Kentucky website
http://www.cityofmayfield.org

Last edited by Creek Hollow; 10-21-2012 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: Add link

Old 10-22-2012, 07:40 AM

Thanks, Creek! Must be my CRS disease (Can't Remember Sh*t). My wife said I get it bad from time to time. lol
Kevin lives more out in the country than in Mayfield itself. He's from a little town that's south of Fancy Farm in Graves County. I THINK, but not for sure, that he's still around there.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:30 AM

Thank you all! I do plan to visit the area.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:53 PM

Just wave as you come through town. I might be out there somewhere and I'll wave back! lol

Old 10-26-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Just wave as you come through town. I might be out there somewhere and I'll wave back! lol

I'll be sure to! I've been tracking the weather there. Seems you all are a little warmer than us here in the North end. However, I see today you are getting some cool weather too. Do you get much snow there? Our average is about 20" a year, however, last year was so mild we didn't get any snow, but in years past, we'll get a few heavy snow storms and ice.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:52 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,427,295 times
I've lived in Mayfield for 11 years, it's a nice little town but there is not much here, jobs are far and few between - if you're retiring it's cheap enough and in short range of Murray and Paducah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky