Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 06:34 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

WHITESBURG, Ky. (AP) - The U.S. Geological Survey is reporting that an earthquake centered in Kentucky also rattled at least three other states. The USGS website says the epicenter of the 4.3 magnitude earthquake on Saturday afternoon was about 10 miles west of Whitesburg. Residents in eastern Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia and Tennessee reported feeling the temblor. National Weather Service spokesman Jeff Carico says employees at the office in Jackson, which is about 60 miles northwest of Whitesburg, felt the ground shake for about 15 seconds. He says the office has gotten numerous calls, but so far no one has reported any serious damage.

4.3 magnitude earthquake reported in Kentucky - Yahoo! News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 08:27 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,905,591 times
I was in Louisville attending a meeting - no one noticed anything at all. How about the rest of our Kentucky contingent? Anyone want to venture a guess as to whether or not mining (of various kinds) might have contributed, or if the many geological faults in this area relate to the quake?

Old 11-10-2012, 08:41 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times
I had a couple friends in Louisville, one in W. Virginia (she made her grandkids sit in time out for playing so rough upstairs it shook the house! lol), and one down near Bowling Green all said they felt it.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:50 PM

14,783 posts, read 8,117,863 times
I was in Lexington, didn't notice a thing.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:22 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
My daughter who lives near Prestonsburg said it woke her up the bed shook so bad. I didn't feel anything here in Pikeville but others said they did.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:21 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,236,460 times
I live in northeast Tennessee, but work in southwest Virginia (about 70 miles southeast of Whitesburg, KY) and I was walking back into my office at work (Abingdon, VA) and all of a sudden the building started creaking and groaning - it was like a strong wind was hitting the building. I was standing, so I didnt feel it, but many others did and came running out of the offices. One lady said her windows were rattling in her office. I soon found out that it was a quake. Had I been setting down, I would have felt it, but naturally I was walking and didnt feel it. lol. I am normally off on Saturdays, so at least I heard our building making that noise. Had I been home or driving, I would not have even heard it.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:06 AM

973 posts, read 1,453,636 times
We felt a little something down here in Johnson City, Tn. Was not much but still something. Almost like someone falling a big tree but without the thud sound.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:28 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times
Storm, that's like the earthquake we had here in 1968. My parents ran outside when the house started shaking but couldn't feel anything while standing in the driveway. Mama thought it was over till my dad looked at the neighbor's big window across the street and it was still shaking.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:30 AM

259 posts, read 366,220 times
This might be the birth pangs of the eventual New Madrid megaquake anticipated for both natural and supernatural reasons. As the government under this administration procedes with the suggestion that Israel be split and asked to give up borders many christians read this as an omen so-to-speak. We believe that the collateral damage and topographical alteration of states that align on the fault will be the result of the US being split in half (Gods wrath for splitting His Israel!) The degree of this is uncertain as it will take nearly a 9.0 to accomplish a actual split including an anticipated reverse flow of the Mississippi flooding many states. I remain skeptical but why wouldn't I scratch my head on this senario, but then I'm reminded of the harbingers and see this as plausible!

Old 11-11-2012, 01:02 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,882,726 times
I didn't feel much only a little rattle but, I could certainly hear it, believe it or not. I live in the flight path and thought a huge jet had flown CLOSE to my house. I was in my garage with the radio on. I turned the radio off and started looking out side for what I thought was an airplane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky