Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 10:34 AM

302 posts, read 629,475 times

Advertisements

I got a magazine from the Louisville Chamber of commerce that lists the counties within the metro area. So I started researching shelby just because Im a research-aholic. Sounds nice....higher income, bigger newer homes, 11% catholic, semi rural, towns yet farms, population 44000, horse farms, etc. but then I look for the towns to research and all I see is shelbyville with 11000 people? Where are the other 33000 people? What are the biggest towns of this county? Am I missing something or somewhere lol?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 11:40 AM

728 posts, read 1,675,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicia105 View Post
I got a magazine from the Louisville Chamber of commerce that lists the counties within the metro area. So I started researching shelby just because Im a research-aholic. Sounds nice....higher income, bigger newer homes, 11% catholic, semi rural, towns yet farms, population 44000, horse farms, etc. but then I look for the towns to research and all I see is shelbyville with 11000 people? Where are the other 33000 people? What are the biggest towns of this county? Am I missing something or somewhere lol?

It's a fairly large county, with most of the population either in Shelbyville or Western Shelby county near the Louisville/Jefferson line. Eastern Shelby going towards Frankfort is fairly rural, and, as such, less populated.

Shelbyville is a nice town with all the usual big box stores, chain restaurants, small hospital and an historic, and scenic downtown. There are two high schools near the town, Shelby County and Martha Layne Collins, both serve the entire county. There are some very nice subdivisions on KY 53 North going towards LaGrange.

Shelby county has a Bluegrass/central KY feel to it, but located right next to Louisville. To me, it's less of a bedroom community to L'ville as LaGrange or Mount Washington (Bullit co) is.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:28 PM

So what are the names of the towns in Western Shelby? I was curious to see what real estate they have but I dont know what Im looking for. Or are the neighborhoods there considered a part of Louisville and have a Louisville zip code?

Old 12-30-2012, 03:12 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,309,023 times
Simpsonville is the only town other than Shelbyville with any size. Of the Shelby County population, I would estimate that 80% lives within 5 miles either side of I-64. You will also find a sizable number of people who live in Shelby County with post office addresses such as Eastwood, Fisherville, & even Louisville (40245).

Old 12-30-2012, 03:18 PM

Hi Tom! I really would like to end up living in Oldham. But I want to rent first and there arent many rentals there. Or at least I havent found any. Its no rush because I cant move yet but no harm in researching now. Anyhow, I figured if I cant find a rental in Oldham I should at least rent close to it so when Im ready to buy Im familiar with the area. So Eastwood and Fisherville are really Louisville but in Shelby? What school system do these towns use?

Old 12-30-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Hi Tom! I really would like to end up living in Oldham. But I want to rent first and there arent many rentals there. Or at least I havent found any. Its no rush because I cant move yet but no harm in researching now. Anyhow, I figured if I cant find a rental in Oldham I should at least rent close to it so when Im ready to buy Im familiar with the area. So Eastwood and Fisherville are really Louisville but in Shelby? What school system do these towns use?
When you get ready to move, we'll get you a rental. Don't worry about OC for a rental. We can do that, stop worrying about that part of this move.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:18 PM

Really Tom?! That would be wonderful. You make it sound so easy and care free and that would be great. Ive reaserched day after day so much my head hurts. If I can just pinpoint the exact place and not worry until the time comes to move, that would be awesome

Old 12-30-2012, 05:44 PM

Don't try to move in July or August. Otherwise, we'll get you a house to rent. They are available.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:46 PM

Great tip! Ill keep that in mind. Ill be keeping in touch with you on Facebook too

Old 12-30-2012, 07:39 PM

728 posts, read 1,675,964 times
Quote:
Eastwood is in Jefferson County and students attend JCPS.

Sound like Tom has you lined out in regards to the rental situation. I would just coordinate with him. No need to look at Central Kentucky. Just zero in on OC and get in a decent rental. You'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky