Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 09:28 AM

3 posts, read 12,790 times

Advertisements

I have been doin quite a bit of research online about Kentucky. Which town/city has a low crime rate, best schools, safe to start a family, tornados etc. All that good stuff.

Well, I see so many different areas that say their good towns. But i would like to know first hand from people that live there.

Could you please help?

P.S. Even the smallest details are helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 12:02 PM

10 posts, read 23,573 times
I would not replace Lexington for the whole world...I immigrated with my family from Iraq 4 years ago and since my arrival to Lexington it's my home town now hand down!

Old 06-01-2013, 01:54 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times
I've lived in and around western Kentucky (Mayfield, Murray, Cadiz, Morganfield, Sturgis, Henderson) all my life (so far!) and there are some good towns around here to check out. Mayor Teresa Cantrell has done a lot to change Mayfield around. She's cleaned it up, has more businesses moving to town. Home
But I have also said there are 120 counties in the Commonwealth of Kentucky and somebody will have something good to say about all of them at one time or another. Wherever you decide to move, welcome to Kentucky!

Old 06-01-2013, 08:41 PM

14,783 posts, read 8,117,863 times
I live in Lexington, and really love it here. I also have lived in Louisville, which was great also.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:41 AM

4 posts, read 19,128 times
northern ky is VERY NICE! Just minutes from downtown cincinnati, but the lower taxes and serenity of ky! try ft.thomas, ft.mitchell or independence ky.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:31 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,316,239 times
It all depends on what more you want. If you want to live in a small safe viable town, but be close to big city amenities, Crestwood, LaGrange, Prospect are great. Simpsonville & Mt. Washington work, too. Nothing at all wrong with Bardstown or Elizabethtown

Old 06-24-2013, 01:34 PM

27 posts, read 71,833 times
Check out Danville and Boyle County along with some of the others mentioned here. Another area I like is Berea in Madison County.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:08 PM

638 posts, read 1,282,525 times
We just permanently moved to Paris, which we love!! But while having our barn built, we kept our horses in Mt. Sterling and found that town to be charming too!!

Old 07-09-2013, 05:58 PM

192 posts, read 258,075 times
I hope it goes without saying that no one should relocate anywhere without actually having visited that location several times, especially moving north to south and city to semi rural. The three major Kentucky cities are entirely different worlds from the small towns, Louisville in particular is a great culture blend of South, Midwest and North. The small towns vary in quality as they probably do in any State.
I just got back from a road trip to see a particular Kentucky town that has been hyping itself with ad campaigns in major newspaper ads for 30 years as a great place to relocate. They attempt to draw people there to open business, buy homes. It was a grave disappointment. There is no way I could function in that atmosphere.
The town was also ugly; an eyesore and it's whole hype is that it's some wonderful revived Victorian enclave. For about 6 blocks it is, the rest of the town is so sad. I had looked forward intently on seeing this place, and a trip originally planned for a few days turned into one overnight.
Don't relocate south and give up a happy life just for warm weather, it's not worth it. Danville Kentucky is pretty, it's a wealthy college town but it's out in the middle of nowhere isolated from a big city, 100 miles down a 2 way to anywhere. Some small towns could be a great place for a college career but to live permanently? Shall we go into driving habits of Rural places all over the USA? I just took a 200 trip entirely on secondary roads through rural Kentucky towns one after the other. Needless to say it was some pretty scary stuff passing huge semis and log trucks zooming by.

Being rural near a big city, within say 30 miles is one thing, being out in the sticks is another.

Last edited by travelhound; 07-09-2013 at 06:10 PM..

Old 07-09-2013, 08:39 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,905,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelhound View Post
I hope it goes without saying that no one should relocate anywhere without actually having visited that location several times, especially moving north to south and city to semi rural. The three major Kentucky cities are entirely different worlds from the small towns, Louisville in particular is a great culture blend of South, Midwest and North. The small towns vary in quality as they probably do in any State.
I just got back from a road trip to see a particular Kentucky town that has been hyping itself with ad campaigns in major newspaper ads for 30 years as a great place to relocate. They attempt to draw people there to open business, buy homes. It was a grave disappointment. There is no way I could function in that atmosphere.
The town was also ugly; an eyesore and it's whole hype is that it's some wonderful revived Victorian enclave. For about 6 blocks it is, the rest of the town is so sad. I had looked forward intently on seeing this place, and a trip originally planned for a few days turned into one overnight.
Don't relocate south and give up a happy life just for warm weather, it's not worth it. Danville Kentucky is pretty, it's a wealthy college town but it's out in the middle of nowhere isolated from a big city, 100 miles down a 2 way to anywhere. Some small towns could be a great place for a college career but to live permanently? Shall we go into driving habits of Rural places all over the USA? I just took a 200 trip entirely on secondary roads through rural Kentucky towns one after the other. Needless to say it was some pretty scary stuff passing huge semis and log trucks zooming by.

Being rural near a big city, within say 30 miles is one thing, being out in the sticks is another.
While I agree with you on many of these points, it should be clarified that Danville is less than a hour away from Lexington, and most of the drive is via a four-lane highway, US 27. I believe the actual distance between Danville and Lexington is around 35 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky