Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 05:55 PM

11 posts, read 29,471 times

Advertisements

MikeKle,
I do not personally fit that description, but I bet you that guy driving the jacked up truck with the rebel flag would be one of the first to stop and lend a hand if you needed it.
I went to Holmes High in Covington, and myself and most of my friends are college educated and have lucrative careers. Our homes all have indoor plumbing and I can't even remember the last time I said y'all. But I'd be quick to smile at anyone who said it to me.
Elite-ism and snobbery are definitely out of place in my beautiful state. Perhaps you could find folks who are more socially compatible to you elsewhere. Judging from your attitude toward Kentuckians, I can assure you, you will not be missed.

Last edited by oldragbagger; 11-10-2010 at 06:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 06:03 PM

11 posts, read 29,471 times
Cincinnati and Columbus are both in Ohio. So what does that have to do with NKY?

Old 12-31-2010, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 4,618 times
I'm reading a lot of negative responses to NKY. I'm currently living in TN and want to move away from the deep south culture. I can't stand it here and I'm supposed to be moving to NKY (Florence) in a month. Is it really that bad? I would consider Cinci too if the price was low for rent. I've lived in CA and Florida and liked it but they have their own breed of rednecks just like anywhere else but the ones in TN get on my nerves to no extent. Please someone tell me NKY isn't full of rednecks. This will ruin my day LOL.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:55 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastrage View Post
I'm reading a lot of negative responses to NKY. I'm currently living in TN and want to move away from the deep south culture. I can't stand it here and I'm supposed to be moving to NKY (Florence) in a month. Is it really that bad? I would consider Cinci too if the price was low for rent. I've lived in CA and Florida and liked it but they have their own breed of rednecks just like anywhere else but the ones in TN get on my nerves to no extent. Please someone tell me NKY isn't full of rednecks. This will ruin my day LOL.
I think "full" of rednecks is an overstatement. But however, there are some. Frankly, I don't think you'll get anymore insight on this board. Those that don't like NKY will bash it, those that like will cheer for it. Some of the bashers are so vehement, it makes you wonder. I don't see how NKY could provoke such strong emotions. Personally, I think it is a pretty typical suburban middle American community. Close to the river (Newport, Covington, Ft Mitchell, Bellevue, Ft Thomas...) it has older, established communities, it looks a lot like many inner ring midwest suburbs with homes built in the 30s, 40s, 50s... As you radiate out, it is your typical American suburban sprawl with all its pros and cons. It is conservative in politics, not quite bible belt but close, most people are pretty nice IMO, but a little more standoffish than deep south. Downtown Cincinnati is a short drive from Florence for a game, show or museum. You are close enough that driving up for a couple days should be a must before you make any decision.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:42 PM

26,418 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Northern KY is more hillbilly than redneck. With that being said, the best areas of northern KY to live would be those that have a good selection of jobs like near Cincinnati or Louisville. Avoid the rural areas unless you are very familiar with the Appalachian culture, are self employed, or are retired.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:26 PM

2 posts, read 7,080 times
I'm amazed at the negative slant Kentucky seems to get. Didn't realize it was so strong; maybe because I'm a Kentucky native. The first time I noticed such a strong mudsling toward KY was when I once dated a guy who lived in MA. He wouldn't move here because he never wanted to be identified as someone who lived in KY. We later broke up (no surprise) and I began to date a man who lived in Ohio. Guess what? He also had a lot of negative thinking about Kentucky. My son said to him once, "What is it with all you 'out-of-statians'? You don't hear us blasting your state do you?" As for me, I live in KY because I am close to my family and most of them live nearby. We're not all hill-billies, and from what I've seen (and I have traveled far beyond KY) is that there can be "hill-billies and red necks" everywhere, in ALL states; even in other countries. I think Kentucky is one of the most beautiful states, has great property taxes, has very good schools with well educated people, and most people are friendly, down to earth (not to be confused with hill-billy-ism).

Old 02-08-2011, 08:13 PM

298 posts, read 596,171 times
Well...I'm a HILLBILLY and a REDNECK....I look at it this way, If I was in need, stranded on the road, broke and needed something to eat, no where to live for what ever reason, needed help fixing the roof or the truck and so on. These so called hillbilly rednecks will be the first to the rescue, you can bet on it. We probably got a few bad ones but, I'll still take my chances with the hillbilly's and the rednecks.

Avoid the rural areas? Now what's that got to do with anything? I say, avoid the big cities, if you are down and out there, you are down and out, ain't nobody going to help ye unless there's a hillbilly redneck around. But, most people in the big cities don't need help, they got pockets full of money from all them high paying jobs, (I bet some of um make $15.00 an hour) live in big fancy houses and apartments, drive the most expensive vehicles, eat out almost every night at them fancy restaurants, take a month at a time for vacation all over the world...shew...city people would be offended if you tried to help them. I probably have already offended some by just insinuating that they MIGHT need help and I'm sure they wouldn't want a hillbilly redneck within a mile of um IF they did.

On second thought...yep, stay out of the rural areas, it's a lot safer in the big cities.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:19 AM

553 posts, read 1,545,152 times
If anybody really wants to get a "feel" for Northern Kentucky, all they need to do is visit one little website that pretty much sums it up. Google "[domain blocked due to spam]" and find the Paducah Forum. Read what are some of the most hottest conversations happening right now in NKY.

After you fall on the floor and get back up in your chair, then decide if any of those conversations are "pro's" or "con's" for living there. Because those are the type of people that know everyone, patronize the bars and restaurants and could be your potential neighbors.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:06 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,106,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce2011 View Post
If anybody really wants to get a "feel" for Northern Kentucky, all they need to do is visit one little website that pretty much sums it up. Google "[domain blocked due to spam]" and find the Paducah Forum. Read what are some of the most hottest conversations happening right now in NKY.

After you fall on the floor and get back up in your chair, then decide if any of those conversations are "pro's" or "con's" for living there. Because those are the type of people that know everyone, patronize the bars and restaurants and could be your potential neighbors.
Paducah isn't in northern Kentucky.

In fact Paducah isn't even in the same time zone as northern Kentucky

:S

SO MANY TROLLS.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:11 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,106,704 times
NKY is awesome though. If you like Cincinnati, you'll like Covington/Newport/Fort Thomas/Park Hills. Those cities are extensions of Cincinnati and each has their own character and are within distance to awesome nightlife.

And to expand upon my last post:

Paducah, a town of 26,000 at the western fringes of the commonwealth.

Traditional "northern Kentucky"

I'll say, I'm the anti-southerner, anti-redneck and have lived in a variety of places.

If I ever come back to this state it will be the NKY area. It's friendly, urban, and with loads of entertainment, shopping, educational, and cultural options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky