Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2007, 05:57 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,946 times

Advertisements

i would like any impressions you have of the town. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 05:46 AM

486 posts, read 1,897,392 times
OK so MADISONVILLE is in western KY right off the W KY Parkway, about halfway between Owensboro and Bowling Green. It's a town probably around 20,000 if that. Typical medium sized KY town- there are a few schools, a country club, and a lot of farms in the surrounding area. It's been about 5 or 6 years since I was last there though.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:59 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
teebird, you have Madisonville on the wrong parkway. It is on the Pennyrile between Henderson and Hopkinsville.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:21 PM

4 posts, read 12,028 times
I live in Huntsville, but was born and raised in Madisonville and looking to move to Owensboro to be closer to family in Madisonville.

I liked growing up in Madisonville and I know the city is trying to grow and become a little more progressive. I has one movie theater, an ok mall, a super-walmart, a great community college, two relatively new schools and one old middle school that was my grandfathers high school. Downtown is small but pretty. I would say not a lot of choices when it comes to eating out but downtown has some great original resturants found no where else, and decent medical facilites. You're only an hour from the Lake, Evansville, 90 minutes from Bowling Green, and I think two from Nashville. Houses are cheap and their are lots of good neighborhoods. A huge city park and Lake Pee-Wee. I would say it's just your typical small town.

Hope that helps!

Old 01-22-2008, 08:41 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petitek View Post
I live in Huntsville, but was born and raised in Madisonville and looking to move to Owensboro to be closer to family in Madisonville.

I liked growing up in Madisonville and I know the city is trying to grow and become a little more progressive. I has one movie theater, an ok mall, a super-walmart, a great community college, two relatively new schools and one old middle school that was my grandfathers high school. Downtown is small but pretty. I would say not a lot of choices when it comes to eating out but downtown has some great original resturants found no where else, and decent medical facilites. You're only an hour from the Lake, Evansville, 90 minutes from Bowling Green, and I think two from Nashville. Houses are cheap and their are lots of good neighborhoods. A huge city park and Lake Pee-Wee. I would say it's just your typical small town.

Hope that helps!
Hi

I was born and raised in Madisonville as well....graduated from MNHHS in 1984. I grew up on Woodson Ave off Noel Ave and my parents now live off Highway 41 near the skating rink. What part of town are you from?

I agree with your assessment. I havent lived there since high school but of course make trips back to see my parents every so often. I am over 1000 miles away now so less often than in the past. I remember it used to be dry city and I recall when the city went "wet". That was probably among the biggest changes in the last 20 years. But otherwise it was an ok town...coal business drives (or drove it I should say)...wish it would do better with manufacturing and keeping jobs in town but I think being along the new I-69 will be a benefit. Most people drive to Evansville for their fill of shopping...eating out...and bigger city ammenties. I must say the medical center and hospitals there are good....one of my friends from HS is a doctor down there. Best housing on the south end (Grapevine area) east end (on the east side of the Parkway near Walmart area) and north end. I did get a chance to go and check out the damage from the F4 tornado back in 2005 in the Grapevine area...quite amazing. Cheap housing for sure....compared to just about anywhere. Not a whole lot of rentals though. One negative perhaps growing up it wasnt the most intergrated town....schools were intergrated of course...but that's about it. Job and career took me out of the area and I also wanted a colder climate as the heat and humidity in the summer is unbearable.

Dan R

Old 01-25-2008, 11:58 AM

4 posts, read 12,028 times
I grew near downtown on West Broadway. My parents still live there. I may have the facts wrong, but I think the new interstate will merge with the Pennyrile and hopefully bring some changes.

I'm a bit of a weather nut, so when the tornado hit I saw the damage too. Whoa!

I've lived in Bowling Green and now Huntsville, but I almost wouldn't mind living in Madisonville if I could find a job there. Maybe retirement!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky