Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 07:37 PM

2 posts, read 12,632 times

Advertisements

hello all i"m thinking of moving to Kentucky im 50 years old and semi retired
due to an accident but am able to get around ok i own my house its worth about 200k
looks like i can get a nice hobbie farm for that price my home is in clovis ca
the coast of living and the tree huggers have killed the state so its time to move on
im looking to find a place close to a small town but not to close its just me and my dog
also i love cold weather and rain i don"t need to find employment but a part time job would be nice
iv never been to kentucky but from what iv read about it it looks like a great place to live any input will be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 09:35 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times
Any special part of the state sound better to you than the others? Here's something to kind of give you an idea on the different parts of the state.

Regions of Kentucky - Kentucky Lakes - The Bluegrass Region in KY

If you think you might be interested in the western part of the state, I look around realtor.com from time to time and found a 3 acre lot for $18,000. Site says it's level ground and it's just a few miles from Kentucky Lake, the largest man made lake east of the Mississippi River. http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...8-66600?row=26
And another...http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...7-05307?row=26
Figured for a lot that cheap you could build what you want fairly inexpensive. Plus you're not far from Interstate 24 that runs from Chattanooga, Tenn., through Nashville, Tenn, Paducah, Ky. and ending other interstates that will take you on to St. Louis.

Old 10-04-2014, 02:48 AM

14,783 posts, read 8,117,863 times
I love Kentucky! But keep in mind, no one place is the best for everyone....my idea of Paradise might be someone else's idea of Hell, and visa versa! (We moved around a lot while I was growing up, and I know one person might love the new city you move to, and another member of the family might hate the same city...so it's all down to a matter of personal taste, like anything else.) I would recommend that visit the area first to get a feel for it.

From what you describe, I think Kentucky might work for you, lots of small towns and lots of rural areas, and cost of living is low in many places
....different parts of Kentucky,are all very different...but I like all the parts of the state that I have been to. You have four distinct seasons in Kentucky (but the weather can be bi-polar at the best times here) and you would get your cold weather.(Some snow, but we usually aren't bombarded with it...usually, lol)

Old 10-04-2014, 06:18 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,249,038 times
Tell us more about you, what you like and dont like?

Old 10-05-2014, 01:48 PM

2 posts, read 12,632 times
thankx for the info i hooked up with a realtor and planning a trip they have sent me some info on a few homes in my price range
i guess its up to me to get my butt to kentucky and look around

this is a few of the homes in my price range any info on the area will be helpful also i have an atv and like driving the trails

http://www.unitedcountry.com/search0...6100&AU=N&FT=P

http://www.unitedcountry.com/search0...7300&AU=N&FT=P

http://www.unitedcountry.com/search0...7740&AU=N&FT=P

Old 10-05-2014, 02:18 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times
Not bad looking places! I think I'd like the second one. Only thing that would have me thinking twice on that last one is it's a 15 year old double wide mobile home. Now don't all you mobile home residents attack me for that, but you'll have to admit there are quite a few that start looking their age after 10-15 years.
Of course choice #1 aint bad looking either!
Anyway, good luck deciding! And Welcome to Kentucky!

Old 10-19-2014, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 6,042 times
Any thoughts on campbellesville, ky. I'm kind of in the same boat and saw some nice homes around green river lake. Wondering about the people, part time job market and local area. ANY thoughts would be great.
Thanks

Old 10-29-2014, 09:45 AM

302 posts, read 499,937 times
My husband got someone telling him that Bowling Green would be a good place for us. He's giving me whiplash with changing his mind so much on where to move to.

For us, at the time we move, 3 adults will be either retired or on disability and 2 young adults with either be looking for work (no experience yet) and a volunteer position (learning disabilities). Also have a German Shepherd Dog that will be a service dog. Hubby likes fishing, but will also be happy most anywhere and wants to get into hunting (I don't like that much). Wet weather is okay for some members of the family and the others only tolerate it, but can handle it. Cold is the same. As long as there is not the snow we had in Central Missouri we are okay and as long as there is not the extreme heat from Central Missouri or South Florida we will be fine. I have given up on looking for a moderate weather zone for my fibromyalgia.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:15 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,249,038 times
Pdat - I couldn't get the links to open...

I agree with Kygman regarding Mobile homes. Some of them are quite nice and a real bargain up in Kentucky but they do have a tendency to require quite a bit of maintenance after a while.

Kentucky's a great place, especially if you're retired, it's cheap to live and very peaceful, especially if you're into rural living. I've read alot of retired folks are buying up properties down around "Land Between the Lakes" area in SW Kentucky and also down around Jamestown Kentucky and "Lake Cumberland" "Dale Hollow Lake" area down on the Kentucky/Tennessee line...

I'd recommend personally you check out these 2 places.....

kmbjbb - Quote" My husband got someone telling him that Bowling Green would be a good place for us. He's giving me whiplash with changing his mind so much on where to move to - Bowling Green is a nice area to live and is very picturesque. Also besides the "purchase" region, I think it probably has normally some of the mildest winter weather of any area of western Kentucky. I've seen it snow heavily at Owenbsoro on the Ohio river, snow and ice everywhere. Only to drive down the "Natcher" and get down around Bowling Green and it's already above freezing and no snow on the ground. However, it's not always like that, BG CAN get quite a bit of snow also depending on the year. You've got Nashville Tenn barely 30 to 45 minutes away if memory serves me right, plus I think some others have said that BG has a mall as well? I was not aware of that if so. It has a nice race track that's pretty popular if you like racing. Also the Corvette Musuem is there and Mammoth Cave Nat'l Park ( GREAT PLACE ) is 30 minutes to the east. It's a pretty nice area. I have a good friend, a musician and a great Banjo player that lives there, he loves it!

For us, at the time we move, 3 adults will be either retired or on disability and 2 young adults with either be looking for work (no experience yet) and a volunteer position (learning disabilities) - So you'll need access to good medical care and assistance no?

Also have a German Shepherd Dog that will be a service dog. Hubby likes fishing, but will also be happy most anywhere and wants to get into hunting (I don't like that much) - My family in Kentucky they ALL are avid hunters and fisherman. Kentucky has one of the largest Turkey yields of any state and also Kentucky is famous for it's yearly harvest of huge monster "Boone-N-Crockett bucks. People come from all over to hunt deer in Kentucky. Also, if you're into Coon hunting with dogs, Rabbit hunting, waterfowl, squirrel etc etc... It's all quite popular and folks hunt quite frequently there so you're husband will be happy with that aspect.

Wet weather is okay for some members of the family and the others only tolerate it, but can handle it. Cold is the same. As long as there is not the snow we had in Central Missouri we are okay and as long as there is not the extreme heat from Central Missouri or South Florida we will be fine. I have given up on looking for a moderate weather zone for my fibromyalgia - Hmm....I'm not sure about this. Winters in Kentucky can vary from year to year. Some years VERY cold days ( especially nights well below "0" ) and lot's of snow and ice. However, some years there's hardly any real cold weather or snow on the ground at all. BG, like lot's of western Kentucky get's frequent ice storms that can wreak havoc on electricity, and ice on narrow, winding roads can be an issue as well if you live in a rural area, especially a hilly one. Generally, state roads, parkways and interstates are kept pretty clean in winter. Summers are usually "brutally" hot with heat n humidity starting as early as late May and lasting in some cases until late Sept, early October, depending on the year. Daytime highs in the 90's, pushing 100 degrees, are fairly typical, with little to NO air moving...basically like a sauna. If you don't have central heat/air where you live in Kentucky, you'll want to get outside under a Maple tree in the front yard with a cold drink to keep cool, even well up into the evening. After midnight it generally cools down nicely with early morning being very pleasant and cool. However by mid to late morning it will quickly heat up again lol. I think fall ( right now ) is the best time in Kentucky IMHO. No bad weather generally, temps in the 60's or so, beautiful fall colors. It's also a great time to be out in the woods too if you like that, no itchy bugs, chiggars and stuff LOL.

Last edited by EricOldTime; 10-29-2014 at 10:36 AM..

Old 10-29-2014, 06:13 PM

836 posts, read 3,383,621 times
We lived 10 miles outside of Elizabethtown, KY which is in Hardin County for 4 years and it was OK.. People there are friendly. But unless you like the country smells it isn't for you of course unless you move to cities.. Summers are somewhat windy and HOT, Winters Extremely Windy (it was always windy no matter what season) and very COLD and it Snows/Rains a lot... there really isn't a spring or fall there unless your on the eastern half you get more of a 4 season. We moved back to the Carolina's after hubby's contract ended with Government/Fort Knox..We still have our home up for sale in Cecilia KY!! which sux Would I move back No, but would I recommend people who want to live there, Yes. We moved back near home because of family..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky