Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 09:00 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times

Advertisements

Many, if not most, of the barns you were seeing are probably tobacco barns. Did you notice the flues on top of the barns? As you guessed, the gaps between the boards are to allow air to flow in and dry the tobacco. It gets very hot in those black-painted barns (it's been around 100 every day for a week or more where we live) and the flues vent the hot air out the top of the barns. As it flows upward and out, relatively cooler air flows in through the gaps in the walls.

We generally fly out of either Lexington or Louisville (Lexington is closer, but Louisville has better flights) but you're right - from where you'll be, you'll probably use Lexington for the closer airport, and Cincinnati for the better flights. I'm used to flying out of a major hub, so I've noticed a definite dropoff in service here, but I was pleasantly surprised to learn it wasn't as bad as I feared. We can get anywhere we need to get without much trouble.

The tornadoes... not sure what to tell you. Where I come from is much worse, so to me Kentucky seems like it has none at all. They don't bother me. We had a couple in our town last year (and a number of warnings) , but I just taught my wife how to clear out the bathroom and turn it into a tornado shelter In 20 seconds or less. Put my bike helmet and her Segway helmet in there, along with heavy boots and a thick jacket in case she has time to put them on (and a couple of heavy quilts), and we're snug as a bug in a rug. The cats learned fast that when we start running in and out of the bathroom, they're supposed to go in there too, and a couple of times they actually went in and waited for us when there was a bad thunderstorm. I just park the car under a tree in case of ail, and we hope for the best. Chances of getting are so slim, we don't even think about it except when it's storming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 04:26 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Watch out for chiggers in the summer! Tornadoes are nothing compared to them...

Old 09-10-2015, 09:47 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
Here Are the 10 Best Cities in Kentucky to Retire in

^Seemed relevant

Old 09-11-2015, 07:24 AM

23 posts, read 30,541 times
Crazee Cat Lady - I appreciate the link regarding KY's best retirement locations. Please understand that I am NOT looking for an urban area, but would rather find an outlying rural area not too far from the kinds of facilities that a senior might find need for. I'm still active and intend to be so until I drop. The last place I want be is on a postage-stamp sized lot surrounded by the same. Obviously we all have our own definition of "postage-stamp sized lot" - for me, it's anything less than 30 acres.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:53 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,120,016 times
I'm a 6th generation KY native. Both sides of my family settled from MD. My mom's side as a result of being ousted from MD for being Catholic in the late 1700's. Both side tobacco farmers.

My uncle married a gal from Canada in the 50's. She is now 93. Where my immediate family settled was in Elizabethtown. Locals just call it E-town. My aunt, as a Canadian, will tell you that acceptance was a little tricky. It took her a while to realize that it wasn't going to happen passively. She had to make an effort herself to get involved in clubs and what not before she got accepted. Now, she's as much a local as anyone else.

In my opinion, KY summers are the worst part in terms of humidity. But the folks have a saying though. If you don't like the weather in KY, just wait a little while, it will change.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:18 AM

23 posts, read 30,541 times
flashfearless - Must be a universal statement. We say the same about weather in New England.

Humidity is my major weather nemesis. It is the one aspect of Summer that challenges my desire to be physically active. Combine with my propensity to sweat profusely, it does little to foster ambition.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:00 AM

You take your life in your hands exercising outdoors in Kentucky summers, and what doesn't kill you makes you more miserable! Those who claim to "love" summer here either spend 24/7 inside with the a/c or just sit on their behinds outside drinking beer beside the pool. Not the ideal climate for active, outdoorsy folk like me.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:43 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
It is extremely humid - the summertime in Kentucky. Where I live is older, with lots of really tall trees, so it helps keep the house cooler - I do run the a/c a lot in the summer - July and August, a few times in June or Sept.
I have for the most part worked (inside) in the hottest hours (day) and find it cools off and is a bit more comfy in later part of the evenings and very early mornings.
Working outdoors a lot here in the summer heat would be a challenge...and I think it is the humidity that makes it seem so bad. (But I grew up here and we didn't get air conditioning until I was older..funny, I don't remember it really bothering me when I was a child, and I was always outside riding bikes,playing etc....maybe kids are immune to it, or maybe you just don't miss what you never had....because I doubt I could exist without AC now that I am used it, lol!

Old 09-15-2015, 08:57 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,882,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You take your life in your hands exercising outdoors in Kentucky summers, and what doesn't kill you makes you more miserable! Those who claim to "love" summer here either spend 24/7 inside with the a/c or just sit on their behinds outside drinking beer beside the pool. Not the ideal climate for active, outdoorsy folk like me.
I "love Summer" and I don't stay inside 24/7 either. I don't have a pool, at least the cement pond kind. It's a great climate for activity, it's kinda like a cleansing, drink plenty of water and sweat a lot, it's good for ye. It rids the body of impurities.

Youns just need to toughen up. And, I'm probably older than most here, sept for Mr. Creek...he's older than dirt.

Have I ever told you all "I HATE WINTER"!

Old 09-15-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
I "love Summer" and I don't stay inside 24/7 either. I don't have a pool, at least the cement pond kind. It's a great climate for activity, it's kinda like a cleansing, drink plenty of water and sweat a lot, it's good for ye. It rids the body of impurities.

Youns just need to toughen up. And, I'm probably older than most here, sept for Mr. Creek...he's older than dirt.

Have I ever told you all "I HATE WINTER"!

Do you hike ten miles at a run? I rest my case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky