Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 07:51 PM

6 posts, read 22,541 times

Advertisements

I was stationed in Hickman, Kentucy from 1968 - 1969 when the Coast Guard yard was in town. I'll be traveling to Hickman and was wondering if any motels are nearby.

Thanks,

Karhuma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 08:28 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karhuma View Post
I was stationed in Hickman, Kentucy from 1968 - 1969 when the Coast Guard yard was in town. I'll be traveling to Hickman and was wondering if any motels are nearby.

Thanks,

Karhuma
I don't believe there is, you might have to go to either Union City, TN or Fulton KY. Also the Air Park at Reelfoot Lake State Park is fairly nice for the money and it's no further away then Union City, TN, closest eats form the Air Park is Tiptonville TN there is also B&B's in the area too.

TN State Parks: Reelfoot Lake State Park: Reelfoot Lake: Lodging

Old 01-24-2008, 12:00 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
I grew up in Mayfield and can say one thing about Hickman. It's not a town that you can go to "just passing through". You have to be going there! lol

Old 03-19-2008, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 4,934 times
Smile hickman

Have you been to Hickman already? Wanted to learn about your visit. How much you thought had changed. I work at the Courier in Hickman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karhuma View Post

Thanks,

Karhuma

Old 03-20-2008, 06:06 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
Hey, cas. Do the Gannons still have the Western Auto there in Hickman. They were friends of mine in Mayfield. Parents ran it in the late 70s I think then I believe it was their son Wylie who took over later.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,716 times
well kygman The Gannon's dont have the western Auto anymore but they do have the Hardware store over by the Trailer park Wylie gave the store back to his dad an mom to run due to he now works for the RR

Old 10-23-2008, 03:39 PM

6 posts, read 22,541 times
My plans changed and I won't visit Hickman until the spring of 2009. I was stationed on the Coast Guard Cutter Sumac and was in Hickman for one year before transferring to another location. I had a 1956 Belair convertible, which I wrecked and left in Hickman. Wish I had the car today. I was a moose club member and had some real wild times back in 1968/69. Just coming through to see how the place has changed. I'll stop by the Courier when in town. Thanks

Old 07-19-2009, 08:47 AM

11 posts, read 28,707 times
Default Hickman's future ?

Hi Im thinking of moving into the area of Union City, Mayville, Tiptonville, etc. Is Hickman a good place to live ? How is the crime rate ? The people, etc. Closeness to shopping. Is the town dying or is it going to rebound or hold steady. I Am moving next year and could consider Hickman if I get enough good replies. Other comments on the areas I mentioned above to would help. Thankyou.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:33 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,379,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datadog View Post
Hi Im thinking of moving into the area of Union City, Mayville, Tiptonville, etc. Is Hickman a good place to live ? How is the crime rate ? The people, etc. Closeness to shopping. Is the town dying or is it going to rebound or hold steady. I Am moving next year and could consider Hickman if I get enough good replies. Other comments on the areas I mentioned above to would help. Thankyou.

I wouldn't send my worst enemy to live in Hickman or Tiptonville. Where are you moving from? Both of those cities are about as backwards as you can get. We used to say that Tiptonville had the family tree for the county in the courthouse, it went from one door, straight out of the other.

Union City is a far better choice, Dyersburg is bigger, but further away.

If you are coming from any kind of civilization at all, move to Union City, Dyersburg, or Martin. Paducah if you have to live in KY.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:14 PM

11 posts, read 28,707 times
Memphis 1979 what is wrong with Hickman ? When were you last living there ? Please give me a more detailed explanation of Hickman good or bad. Thankyou.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky