Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 03:41 PM

666 posts, read 2,537,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
My last post had NOTHING to do with blacks. It was about non-hispanic whites. KY has a MUCH higher percentage of this demographic than the real south. Period.

As for your weird question; it is a question that can not be answered. What makes the south "southern" is the demographic patterns the south share as well as the geographic location of most southern states. With this said, all southern states have a similar demographic/geographic pattern. Kentucky and West Virginia does not have these same patterns. As a result, threads like this one (Is Kentucky the south or the midwest? ) become long on going novels. If KY's southerness was not suspect, this thread would have died on the first page.

In all honesty, the area that I live in would be considered "less southern" than many areas of KY by the average American. Also, the average American would consider much of KY to be "more southern" than many areas of GA, TN, VA and Florida. This has to do with the stigma that is attached to being "southern". The truth is many "southern states" (like the one I live in) is NOTHING like the stigma that comes with being "southern". This dated stigma of "southerness" is the reason why most Americans would call Kentucky "southern" without even stepping foot into the state. I think most of you know what I am talking about.
So Kentucky is southern, but its not? Ok I think I have it straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 04:13 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
So Kentucky is southern, but its not? Ok I think I have it straight.
Depends on who you ask. A person like myself would not consider KY to be southern simply because I am used to a different culture than what you would find in KY.

Now, a person from California might see KY and NC as pretty much the same. This person from California might also see Kentucky and Missouri as being even more similar than KY and NC.

Like I have said before, due to certain stigmas that are still placed on the entire south, many folks may consider NC, GA, and VA to be "less southern" than Kentucky. However, perception is not always reality. This is why I posted the census stats of the midwest and the south. KY fits in with the midwest in MANY ways when it comes to demographics. Are you willing to make the claim that demographics has NOTHING to do with an area's local culture? If you are, most folks on planet Earth will not agree with you.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Depends on who you ask. A person like myself would not consider KY to be southern simply because I am used to a different culture than what you would find in KY.

Now, a person from California might see KY and NC as pretty much the same. This person from California might also see Kentucky and Missouri as being even more similar than KY and NC.

Like I have said before, due to certain stigmas that are still placed on the entire south, many folks may consider NC, GA, and VA to be "less southern" than Kentucky. However, perception is not always reality. This is why I posted the census stats of the midwest and the south. KY fits in with the midwest in MANY ways when it comes to demographics. Are you willing to make the claim that demographics has NOTHING to do with an area's local culture? If you are, most folks on planet Earth will not agree with you.
No I completely agree that demographics make up a lot of an areas local culture, but you are only looking at racial demographics. Take a look at poverty, religious, household income, GDP, and obesity demographics of Kentucky and the rest of the south and get back to me.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
No I completely agree that demographics make up a lot of an areas local culture, but you are only looking at racial demographics. Take a look at poverty, religious, household income, GDP, and obesity demographics of Kentucky and the rest of the south and get back to me.
Why don't you take your own advice. Especially when it comes to GDP (Gross Domestic Product). The southern metropolitan area I live in has a GDP that is almost as large as the entire state of Kentucky (154 billion for Kentucky vs 118 billion for Charlotte). I won't even bother posting the link (unless you really wish to see it). In the case of Atlanta....... Well, I won't even go there. Let's just say that Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, Louisiana, Maryland, and Florida all have GDPs greater than Kentucky. Florida, North Carolina, then Georgia respectively having the greatest GDPs of the aforementioned states.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:50 PM

I would really want to hear from another black person who has lived or lives in Kentucky and has lived in other southern states. Not that I don't believe you (urbancharlotte) that black culture is more prevalent in other southern states, but is it as big of a deal as you make it seem? Especially in rural areas. Honestly, if anyone has insight to this I would like you get your input. Urbancharlotte maybe you should make your own thread about black culture in the rest of the south (and how it relates to Kentucky) and bring your argument there, I'm sure you would get a better debate. This thread is getting beat to death and honestly I (and you) have better things to waste our time with. I'm just going to agree to disagree with you and leave it at that.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:01 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
Quote:
I would really want to hear from another black person who has lived or lives in Kentucky and has lived in other southern states. Not that I don't believe you (urbancharlotte) that black culture is more prevalent in other southern states, but is it as big of a deal as you make it seem? Especially in rural areas. Honestly, if anyone has insight to this I would like you get your input. Urbancharlotte maybe you should make your own thread about black culture in the rest of the south (and how it relates to Kentucky) and bring your argument there, I'm sure you would get a better debate. This thread is getting beat to death and honestly I (and you) have better things to waste our time with. I'm just going to agree to disagree with you and leave it at that.
I do believe that Louisvilleslugger is a black man who has lived in Georgia and he says we're Southern!

Old 10-28-2009, 11:09 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
Is it fair to say Kentucky is part of "The South" but not part of the "Dirty South"??

Old 10-28-2009, 07:39 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,454,392 times
Here's a modern map of black population distribution in KY circa 1990. You can compare to the antebellum distribution.

...and by county

Old 10-29-2009, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Is it fair to say Kentucky is part of "The South" but not part of the "Dirty South"??
LOL LOL LOL!!! I can agree with that!!!

Old 10-29-2009, 04:27 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,551,670 times
It's an interesting question. I've always understood the Midwest to mean OH, IN, IL, WI, and MI. Still, Wikipedia includes IA, and MN, as well as possibly MO, WV, KY, and those I would refer to as Central States: from ND to KS.

I would most definitely consider KY southern, as well as WV and MO), differentiated not only geographically, but also in speech accents and lifestyles.

Latitudinally, Kentucky is centrally positioned, so it is probably the most northern of the southern states, in that longitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky