Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 10:19 PM

7 posts, read 135,301 times

Advertisements

I'm a kentucky native, but someone recently asked me if Kentucky is a southern state or if it's the midwest. The weather channel called it the midwest. And I have seen it referenced as such.

I say it's a southern state. But others say it's not. I say it is because of the culture and the attitude is much more southern than midwestern.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 11:45 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,000 times
I think there is a thread on this already ...

//www.city-data.com/forum/kentu...est-south.html

But for the record it's south.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:42 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Actually, the OP hit the nail on the head. Kentucky is neither mid-west, nor south, etc. It is actually "all the above." Depending on what the subject is, Kentucky will fall into several categories. As a Border State during the War Between the States, the tone was set for Kentucky's role in national politics, and you can just imagine the mess that can present. In weather terms, Western Kentucky is more like the south with cotton being a suitable crop. Yet, northeast and east of Louisville, midwestern weather becomes the norm.

Just don't try to pidgeon-hole Kentucky. Wise move.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:35 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times
Who cares!!!

Old 02-15-2008, 04:24 PM

486 posts, read 1,896,569 times
It's a combination of both really. To me, Kentucky has always been a southern state with midwestern influences.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:57 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebird1012 View Post
It's a combination of both really. To me, Kentucky has always been a southern state with midwestern influences.
That is true considering how close we are to Illinios,Ohio and Indiana.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:59 AM

528 posts, read 2,480,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebird1012 View Post
Ditto !

Old 04-18-2008, 07:24 PM

34 posts, read 287,564 times
While we are in close proximity to the Midwest, Kentucky is undeniably southern. We are the northern area of the Humid Subtropical CFA climate zone centered over the southeastern interior portion of North America. While the major cities have some degree of Midwestern influence, due again in part to their location, this can be attributed to migration patterns, and the fact that our two largest cities are also college towns. Few people also take time to look to the nature around them. Forest types completely change once you leave the northern rim of the Ohio valley as you travel into the Midwest, but few people note this due to similar appearances of several tree types. A vast majority of the majestic oaks that grow in our state are at the northern extent of their range, but thrive in our mild climate. The southern red oak is the most common tree in the state, and the oak-hickory forest type is the dominant one. Also every Kentucky city has great numbers large, beautiful, stately old southern magnolia trees. Our entire state is also home to some of the most famous foreign exotics that have thrived once introduced to the South, such as Kudzu and the gorgeous Mimosa trees. The only areas with moderate Midwestern influence are those larger cities, and also recreational areas such as the land between the lakes. Whereas we are within half-a-days drive of the gulf coast, Midwesterners are within a half-a-days drive of our many lakes and parks, which coupled with long hot humid summers and lush subtropical foliage make a perfect getaway for the northerner who doesn't want to drive two days to reach a beach. The western third of our state is also dotted with some small and some vast bald cypress and tupelo swamps, which are uniquely southern, and riddled with cottonmouths. About all we lack are alligators, and spanish moss. The whole point I am trying to make is that any sense one would get of Midwestern influence in Kentucky is wholly due to the close proximity, and thus we've had to work together with Midwesterners much more than other southern states, and these outsiders have been attracted by the southern lifestyle and thus migrated and settled here first. Here we have sweetgums, southern pines (loblolly and shortleaf), granduose oaks, tobacco fields as far as the eye can see, huge greek revival plantation homes, rural african american populations, whiskey, southern cooking, red swamp crayfish, river cane along every river, creek, and lake, crepe myrtles, southern accents for everyone outside of cities, and a more relaxed look at life. Travel 40 min into any state above the Ohio river and tell me its not wholly different. I could go on forever, but the proof is in the puddin' as the say, and every kentuckian should take the time to see how unique our climate, environment, and lifestyle is here in Kentucky and the rest of the south.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:14 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,007,241 times
Culturally, the southern third of IL, IN and MO, are more southern than midwestern. I would say exclusive of the KY portions of the Cincinnati metro area, all of KY is southern.

FWIW, in the Paducah area, it's about equidistant to Nashville and St. Louis. Far more people use Nashville for a day in the city, than drive to St. Louis.

I consider Nashville very southern in it's cultural influences, if not the originator of much of it. St. Louis more of an east coast type city, that happens to be in the midwest.

I think southern culture wins in western KY.

Last edited by BLS2753; 04-18-2008 at 08:33 PM..

Old 04-18-2008, 08:47 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Kentucky has strong elements of the south from our borders with Tennessee and SW Virginia. It also has strong elements of the midwest from our borders with Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. At the same time, b/c of the old "industrial cultures" of Ohio and West Virginia and their strong influence from the northeast, we consequently have a small slither of influence from the upper east coast region (i.e. western Maryland, western Pennsylvania, western New York.)

My point is don't let the confederate flags fool you. Kentucky is "Southern lite" and does not have a great deal in common with Mississippi, Alabama, or Georgia, or even Tennessee south of I-40. But, Kentucky is also "Midwest lite" and is not considered to be part of the cultural midwest as much as our western and northern border states, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc. are. As far as I'm concerned, ANY locale north of the Ohio River is definitely midwestern. Have you ever met very many people from Carmi, Ill., Evansville, Ind., or Cincinnati, Oh. that have true southern accents? I think not. But, I don't think one is truly in the traditional, cultural, social, and climatic south until they are south of Jackson, Tenn. and Richmond, Va.

I disagree with people that argue that Kentucky can be exclusively fit into any region; I think we are our own region with our own subculture and internal influences, as well as those I've mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky