Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2016, 06:26 AM

4 posts, read 9,723 times

Advertisements

Can any one in the Kuttawa Kentucky list a few good and not so good features/conditions about the area. Not looking for bashing or sales promos. What is it lacking and what is there that you wouldn't trade? Wife and I are semi retired so clubbing is not a need. Thanx in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 07:12 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
It is a teeny tiny place. It's just north of The Land Between the Lakes and just southeast of Eddyville, the state pen. The nearest "big" city is Paducah, KY which is about a 40 minute drive and Nashville is about 1 1/2 hours away. It is on Lake Barkley and there are some marinas there. I imagine during boating season it becomes somewhat bustling (relatively speaking), so there will be things to do and places to eat, but would be surprised if there were more than 200-300 families that actually live down there full time. Basically, if you enjoy water recreation it is probably a good place to live and probably reasonably affordable for a retiree. Kentucky itself is considered retiree friendly.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:02 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
Kuttawa is a nice area. I wouldn't mind living around there. It's about a mile from I-24 so you'll have a straight shot to Paducah or Nashville. That section of I-24 is also part of I-69 which runs from near Galveston, Texas to near Detroit, Michigan. The Indiana part isn't finished yet but you won't have any trouble going somewhere if needed. Oldhag is right about a lot of the activities have to do with the lakes and the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area. I love fishing in the area. My problem is when the fish see me coming, they know they're safe. lol The state penitentiary, outside Eddyville is an awesome site and can be seen from across the lake at Old Kuttawa. History of Kentucky State Penitentiary in KY
When I say Old Kuttawa, several towns were moved from their original location in the early 60s to clear land to be flooded to form Lake Barkley. When you move here I hope you'll take time to learn the history of how the TVA ran people off their land when planning Lake Barkley and the LBL.
Your best bet, for going out to eat, would be in Eddyville, just a few miles down the road. Nothing fancy, just good food. For special occasions most people go to Paducah, about 30 miles or so up I-24.

Kuttawa, KY - Western Kentucky - Maps, Hotels, Restaurants, Events

Old 08-28-2016, 02:21 PM

4 posts, read 9,723 times
Thanks for the detail, very helpful.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:20 PM

383 posts, read 400,148 times
Kaji,

We are looking at the same area. Did the tour around the lake. DW and i agree that from Cadiz northward thru Princeton and the westward thru Eddyville struck a chord of being like home. We actually looked at a property in Kuttawa. This next summer we plan to hit Paducha and then retrace our steps Eastward and southward ending in Cadiz. Paducha to Cadiz is the "Ky zone" we are thinkin about. We are also looking in North Arkansas around Yellville/Flippin area.

K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky