Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 02:15 PM

26 posts, read 70,106 times

Advertisements

i pretty much knew that, but i just needed to hear it and comfirm it. i like your explination too lol now ive read alot online about the climate and what not but it would still be nice to hear what everyone here has to say. what are the winters/summers like? im asking because kentucky seems to be one of those states in a unique position. it seems like there could be a big difference in climate from n to s and e to west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 02:39 PM

486 posts, read 1,896,738 times
Winters can get cold (average Jan. high is around 25- 30 around Lexington), but I'm sure you're used to that already in Massachusetts. We don't get the snow you do either. Instead, we get freezing rain and ice which makes driving sometimes a huge pain. Temperatures in the winter vary from north to south by about 10- 15 degrees on average with metro Cincinnati averaging around 25- 30 degrees and the TN border at around 35- 40 degrees. Summers can get brutal if you can't stand humidity. I played soccer last year (I'm a junior in HS now) and I could not stand conditioning practices in the middle of August. At times throughout July and August, we have temperatures soaring into the upper 90's with about 90% humidity as well. Do you have allergies? Reason I ask is because Lexington and Louisville tend to rank VERY high up on the worst cities for allergies in the United States. I have them and whenever I leave Kentucky, even to go visit my family in Indianapolis, my allergies seem to go away, but the minute I return, I have trouble again. Western Kentucky seems to get a larger number of tornadoes than Eastern KY does, but I'm not sure what the actual figures look like. Anyways, come check it out for yourself. I don't think weather will be a big issue for you though.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:18 PM

we do have humid summers here, we just dont get the high temps like you do. but im hoping ill get used to that with time. because of my work im outside all day so i better get used to it. but its not like in florida how everyone just stays inside all the time is it?now the whole tornado thing, um, ive never seen one and never care to. i guess ill take my chances!

Old 02-26-2008, 03:37 PM

486 posts, read 1,896,738 times
It's not as bad as Florida, Georgia, or South Carolina but it can still be brutal. As for tornadoes, they don't occur often, but they are always possible. The last one to hit Lexington was three years ago (?) when it touched down on the west side of town and did quite a bit of damage. They don't happen often, so no need to panic.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:49 PM

well thats mostly why we werent interested in those states. we have mostly been looking at kentucky, virginia and north carolina. but for some reason something just doesnt sit well with me when it comes to the later two.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:05 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
I was born and raised in Mayfield. There was a good article about construction and jobs in the Mayfield area in the Sunday Paducah Sun newspaper.

[SIZE=-0]Mayfield’s Paris Road area continues to flourish with a planned 60-job Wilkerson & Associates market research center, 40-employee Farm Services Agency building and an Arby’s restaurant. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-0]“They’re all within 1,000 yards of each other,” City Planner Brad Rodgers said. “It’s the hottest place in town.” [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-0]Realtor Tom Waldrop, who negotiated the property agreement for Wilkerson, said the real estate market hasn’t declined as expected after the Continental Tire plant closed two years ago. “This town has just refused to quit,” he said. “We closed 100 more property transactions in 2007 than in 2006.” [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-0]Wilkerson will move into the third floor of the Regions Bank building, 1104 Paris Road, if all goes well with job interviews Tuesday. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-0]The FSA building, replacing one on U.S. 45 north, will go up this spring on Commonwealth Drive beside Jackson Purchase Ag Credit. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-0]It will house staffs for the FSA and Natural Resources and Conservation Service in Mayfield, as well as Rural Development and other farm-related agencies moving from Paducah and Princeton. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-0]Rodgers said Paducah’s A&K Construction will build an Arby’s on Paris Road in front of Lowe’s, which has fueled growth since opening last year.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-0]Mayfield is about 25 miles from Kentucky Lake, 20 miles from Murray State University, and about 30 miles from Paducah. Paris Road, mentioned in the article, is Ky. 121, the highway connecting Mayfield and Murray.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-0]As for where you're from? Don't worry about it. I was told once the hardest part is finally getting to where you can understand the "twang' in our accent! lol
[/SIZE]

Old 02-26-2008, 05:09 PM

49 posts, read 183,616 times
Hi mass_family..We are also a new england family that recently moved here from New Hampshire, my husband and I both worked in Massachusetts so our commute was terrible, I'm sure you know how route 93 was....so we picked Kentucky because of its beauty and milder winters!..I was very nervous thinking we wouldnt be accepted because we were northerners but nothing was further than the truth..I think you'll have some sort of culture shock when you get here...everybody is very very polite and sociable....what you and I know as road rage I havent seen yet..maybe because they dont have nearly the amount of people..but also if somebody cuts you off they'll be the first ones to apologize!..I couldnt get over that one!...So we love it here, and if you do come down come quietly!.We dont want the secret of the good life getting out!!

Old 02-26-2008, 05:14 PM

wow, we have our work cut out for us thats for sure. i better get researching all the different areas. so far these are the places we have been told to look into.
paducha, bowling green, owensboro, fordsville, elizabethtown, cadiz,greenup county, and basically the surrounding areas of lexington such as danville etc... thats quite a bit of area to cover lol but its well worth the time and i do enjoy learning about the areas. i will say one thing that is weighing heavily toward kentucky, the kentucky forum is by far the most helpful. that right there says a ton as far as im concerned

Old 02-26-2008, 05:19 PM

if you dont mind me asking lulabarbie, where did you move to in ky? and how was it adjusting to the summers?

Old 02-26-2008, 05:36 PM

49 posts, read 183,616 times
We're here in Lexington...its unlike any of the cities I'm used to, I dont see the hustle and bustle in this city, they say there is alot of traffic but coming from a route 93 commute I dont see the traffic as being heavy, to me its more like the city of Newport,RI... busy but not chaotic ....but also just 15 to 20 minutes outside the city you have the beautiful country side....My husband has been here since July, I just came down in December, I recently retired from the state after 20 years so I needed to stay longer, he says the summers are very hot!!...I'll take the heat over the winters though...We're renting now because I wanted to be sure what town I'd like to live in before I invested in a home...Lexington is very nice and there are alot of beautiful developments here but so far I've loved Richmond and Georgetown and even Versailles....so time will tell where we go, I figure after living here for a year I'll know more on where we want to buy...I'm sure the market will still be good for buyers within the next year...House prices here are excellent and you can get alot of land with your home depending on where you're looking...We had a realtor that used to send us books but you can also view homes come2ky.com...I usually go into there to check out their homes....hope all this helps!...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky