Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 4,722 times

Advertisements

Okay I have a chance to move to Paducah and reopen a hotel. Some of you might know it as the former Country Hearth on Joe Clifton Dr. Me, my husband, and my 5 month old baby would be moving there from Chattanooga, TN. The pictures that I have seen look very nice, but I don't know what kind of area the hotel itself is in. I do know that it is only about 10 mintues from the downtown area. If anybody can give me some information about this area or even tell me reason why we should or shouldn't move to Paducah. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 06:56 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Pros
- Great Downtown with 2o blocks on the National Historic Registar
- Some of the best public schools in the state
- Large arts community for its size

Cons
- In the New Madrid Fault Earthquake Zone. An earthquake 10X stronger than the San Francisco quake is likely to occur at some point
- Not much population growth in the area, although descent amount of commerical growth
- Nearest major cities are Nashville (135 miles) & St Louis (174 miles)

Old 09-10-2008, 11:13 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,109 times
Memphis is about 150 miles away.

Nearly everything you need can be found in or around Paducah. There is a lot of shopping for the size of the area. The likelihood of a earthquake gives me little concern, according to "the experts" it's not do for another major one for 100's of years. If it does it does, I've got insurance.

Chattanooga is a great town, Paducah is a little like Chatt on a smaller scale and a lot less mountains.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:45 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,166 times
I gotta agree with Davart.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:22 AM

9 posts, read 99,236 times
Someone SHOULD buy the Country Inn! All the other hotels in the area seem to do a good business (well..we won't bring up the Big E...). You'd probably do a good business, too!

I've lived in Paducah for a year. Having moved around the US for years, I finally feel like I've come home. The downtown scene really is vibrant, if you want to get involved. I work, play, and generally hang out in Lowertown/Downtown, and the sense of community is incredible. I'm also hardly ever bored, as there are plenty of things to do in and around Paducah. Summers, while sticky and humid, are particularly nice, as it seems there's a festival or event nearly every weekend, and it's always a blast to hear the calliopes from the riverboats.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:42 PM

2 posts, read 5,174 times
I live here in paducah and personally cant wait to move out, the downtown area looks beautiful, yes but there is a drug problem that is out of control, i have 3 children myself and cant imagine raising mine here...looking to move soon

Old 04-09-2009, 01:05 PM

200 posts, read 806,913 times
drugs are everywhere. its really sad. on positive note, I was really impressed wit Paducah. I went in not expecing alot to be honest. But its a beautiful town with alot of history and much to explore.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:29 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allison25ky View Post
I live here in paducah and personally cant wait to move out, the downtown area looks beautiful, yes but there is a drug problem that is out of control, i have 3 children myself and cant imagine raising mine here...looking to move soon
Sums up my opinion, too.

If you move to Paducah, put them through Lone Oak High School in the McCracken County system. Lone Oak is a fairly nice "suburb," if you could call it that, just outside of I-24 and is possibly the best public high school in KY west of the Owensboro area (although Murray and Calloway County hold their own, too.)

Old 04-09-2009, 06:14 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
Before long there won't be a Lone Oak High School. Working on merging all the county schools into one.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:58 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Before long there won't be a Lone Oak High School. Working on merging all the county schools into one.
"You have GOT to be kidding me?" That's what I thought at first, until I did a Google search and found a link to WPSD 6's website.

When saving costs for a whole district supercedes the idea that neighborhood/community schools could accomplish something is just pathetic. There goes McCracken County's overall test scores and educational quality if this happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky