Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 11:05 PM

8 posts, read 13,069 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are tired of the rain and liberal politics in Washington State. We have done a ton of research after we vacation in KY a while back and now we are headed back to look for property to buy.

We really like the bardstown, Nicholasville, Richmond, Lawrenceburg, and versailles area - at least what we read.

I want to find 30 acres and have a small grass airstrip for my small plane - and I will be careful not to buy anywhere I would bother a neighbor.

We headed that way in 2 weeks. Can't wait.

What would you recommend we see while we are there?

We are in our late 50 and do not have kids. We have strong christian faiths and we want to find an area where people of faith are not looked down on and where people respect each other.

Charlie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 11:20 PM

Default construction costs

I would also appreciate if someone could share some real life costs on contruction expenses like:

For the sake of the example make this within 1 miles of bardstown....

1) Cost for 8 yards of concrete delivered?
2) Cost to drill a well - per foot?
How deep are wells there usually?
3) price for a 40 x 60 metal "post" building
4) costs for asphalt driveway - per square foot?
5) Average cost for a septic tank?
5) Building permit fee for a $250,000 house?

I know some of this is very much dependent on variables, but real life examples would be really really appreciated.

Charlie from
Washington State.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:16 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charosenz View Post
My wife and I are tired of the rain and liberal politics in Washington State. We have done a ton of research after we vacation in KY a while back and now we are headed back to look for property to buy.

We really like the bardstown, Nicholasville, Richmond, Lawrenceburg, and versailles area - at least what we read.

I want to find 30 acres and have a small grass airstrip for my small plane - and I will be careful not to buy anywhere I would bother a neighbor.

We headed that way in 2 weeks. Can't wait.

What would you recommend we see while we are there?

We are in our late 50 and do not have kids. We have strong christian faiths and we want to find an area where people of faith are not looked down on and where people respect each other.

Charlie
Hi! Welcome to the Kentucky forum here on City Data.
(I won't even mention though how much rain that we have had lately!)

I especially love Bardstown and Versailles of the places you mentioned...you might also want to check
out Midway or Wilmore - both have taken my breath away at times....I have a cousin who is a retired
teacher who lives in Midway and loves it there (at Christmas time, the whole town is decorated up,
so beautiful...looks like a scene from a movie or book)...I have another cousin who lives in Wilmore,
she and her family are retired Missionaries, Her husband I think still serves as a Pastor...Wilmore on The Fourth of July looks like Mayberry or something off like Norman Rockwell would have painted...all decked out in flags everywhere and red, white and blue ribbons, etc.)

Bardstown is really nice, a beautiful small town, very Historic and Predominately Catholic.
You might want to visit the Monks there at The Abbey of Gethsemani
And ofcourse a trip to Kentucky isn't complete without a trip to My Old Kentucky Home
the place where Stephen Foster wrote the Historic and Classic song.
A few years back Rand McNally rated Bardstown the Best Small town in America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myvm_Gdrr5Q&t=143s

If you have ever seen the movie Elizabethtown - a lot of it was filmed in Versailles.
While in Versailles I would recommend visiting or touring a horse farm like Three Chimney
or you might want to catch a meal or sightsee at the Castle.

I am not as familiar with the other places, so I will let someone else answer to that...and to add to the
little that I have added.

Hope you all have a pleasant trip and find what you are looking for. Welcome to Kentucky.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:46 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Luxury Home & FAA Approved Airstrip For Sale

Northeast of Lexington.

http://www.aviationacres.com/kentuckyairports.asp Not clear to me if these are for sale but the site suggests they are.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:03 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
To the OP, I agree that Bardstown blows away the competition. In fact, its rated among the best small towns in America. No where else in KY can say that. Its historic, clean, educated, even a decent hospital. And its close to shopping and amenities in Louisville, and not far from Lexington.

Bardstown would be my choice far and away between the towns you listed. Great bourbon festival every year too.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-05-2018 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: Removed deleted quote and direct response to it

Old 04-10-2018, 08:45 AM

409 posts, read 872,735 times
I seem to have a recollection of there being a small airstrip attached to a private home somewhere near Harrodsburg. I recall driving by it on occasion when I was in college. I don't know if it is still there or not but it sounds a little like what you are looking for.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:34 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post
I seem to have a recollection of there being a small airstrip attached to a private home somewhere near Harrodsburg. I recall driving by it on occasion when I was in college. I don't know if it is still there or not but it sounds a little like what you are looking for.
I still vote for Bardstown out of the OP list. It is repeatedly named one of the top small towns in America, not just in KY. There's a reason for that, it's beauty, history, charm, and economy cannot be matched by most small KY towns.

Bardstown also has a nice single lane landing strip, Samuels Field. Sympson Lake is a beautiful small lake behind the landing strip...that area sounds perfect for the OP!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuels_Field

Old 04-13-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Hi! Welcome to the Kentucky forum here on City Data.
(I won't even mention though how much rain that we have had lately!)

I especially love Bardstown and Versailles of the places you mentioned...you might also want to check
out Midway or Wilmore - both have taken my breath away at times....I have a cousin who is a retired
teacher who lives in Midway and loves it there (at Christmas time, the whole town is decorated up,
so beautiful...looks like a scene from a movie or book)...I have another cousin who lives in Wilmore,
she and her family are retired Missionaries, Her husband I think still serves as a Pastor...Wilmore on The Fourth of July looks like Mayberry or something off like Norman Rockwell would have painted...all decked out in flags everywhere and red, white and blue ribbons, etc.)

Bardstown is really nice, a beautiful small town, very Historic and Predominately Catholic.
You might want to visit the Monks there at The Abbey of Gethsemani
And ofcourse a trip to Kentucky isn't complete without a trip to My Old Kentucky Home
the place where Stephen Foster wrote the Historic and Classic song.
A few years back Rand McNally rated Bardstown the Best Small town in America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myvm_Gdrr5Q&t=143s

If you have ever seen the movie Elizabethtown - a lot of it was filmed in Versailles.
While in Versailles I would recommend visiting or touring a horse farm like Three Chimney
or you might want to catch a meal or sightsee at the Castle.

I am not as familiar with the other places, so I will let someone else answer to that...and to add to the
little that I have added.

Hope you all have a pleasant trip and find what you are looking for. Welcome to Kentucky.
Thank you so much. We are headed to KY to visit in a few days and we will check those places out

Old 04-13-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
To the OP, I agree that Bardstown blows away the competition. In fact, its rated among the best small towns in America. No where else in KY can say that. Its historic, clean, educated, even a decent hospital. And its close to shopping and amenities in Louisville, and not far from Lexington.

Bardstown would be my choice far and away between the towns you listed. Great bourbon festival every year too.
Yes, my wife has read many of the same things, thank you very much!

Old 04-13-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Luxury Home & FAA Approved Airstrip For Sale

Northeast of Lexington.

Kentucky Airparks, Airport Hangars and Aviation Homes For Sale Not clear to me if these are for sale but the site suggests they are.
Thank you so much, very interesting website!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky