Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 03:03 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,702,885 times

Advertisements

I will be spending the last week of June in Western Virginia, but traveling through Kentucky to get there. I want to come through Middlesboro, then travel to Black Mountain ( can you drive up there?), and then over to Virginia. Any idea what routes I could take over Kentucky to get into Galax Virginia? I want to avoid Cumberland. It IS beautiful, but I have seen it, and want to avoid the crowds.

What is Midddlesboro like? Good for a nights stop? Anything else I should see on the way to Virginia? Thanks for any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 07:39 AM

108 posts, read 452,442 times
The alternate routes you could take depend on where you are coming from and whether you are definitely going to stop at Middlesboro. I have always liked Breaks Interstate Park, near the Virginia/Kentucky border. It's fairly easily accessible from Rt. 460, about 20 miles (more or less) southeast of Pikeville, KY. From there, you could continue on 460 into Virginia and then either take Rt. 19 down to 58 which will take you east to Galax. You could also continue on 460 through Bluefield to I-77, then south to Galax.

Actually, 460 east of I-77 is a very nice drive. Parts of it travel right along the New River. If you really have a lot of time, you could continue on 460 all the way to Blacksburg, VA and then take I-81 back to Wytheville to pick up I-77. If you ever get the chance, visit the Cascades near Pembroke, VA. There is a two-mile trail there that ends at a really nice waterfall.

According to wikipedia, the summit of Black Mountain can be reached by a narrow road off of Rt. 160. However, I don't know anything about this road, so I'll leave that question for someone else to answer.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:03 AM

Thanks Village. I am driving south along I-75 from Ohio. I planned to follow it almost to Tenn. then get off, cut over to Middlesboro, up to Black Mt. area. Spend a night in either Middlesboro or Harlan. We love the mountains, and could stay an extra day or 2 if we wanted. Glax and Abbington Va., are our other places to see in a 3-4 day time frame. I know this part of Kentucky is very pretty, and want to explore more of it.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:36 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
To get to Black Mountain's summit, you turn right on the last road on KY 160 before entering VA. Just take the road for a little bit and you reach the radar tower on the summit. Trees on both sides have been cleared for the tower, so it offers by far the best views. On a clear day you can see the Smokey Mountains from it.

Here are some helpful pages
Black Mountain, Kentucky (broken link)
http://www.peakbagger.com/photo/p71.jpg

Old 04-01-2008, 04:16 AM

Thanks censusdata. I do plan to take 160 over to Virginia. As for Black Mountain, I have also read you need some kind of pass to hike it, but am guessing to drive 160, I don't need anything. Any thoughts about Harlan? Good places to spend one night?

Old 04-01-2008, 07:09 AM

108 posts, read 452,442 times
Harlan is very small. Middlesboro will probably give you more options for places to stay...unless you're planning on camping, which would change everything.

Have you ever visited Red River Gorge and Natural Bridge? They aren't located on your planned route, but you might want to visit them on your way home or on another trip in the future. They can be accessed from the Mountain Parkway, which begins at I-64 near Winchester.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:12 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
Thanks censusdata. I do plan to take 160 over to Virginia. As for Black Mountain, I have also read you need some kind of pass to hike it, but am guessing to drive 160, I don't need anything. Any thoughts about Harlan? Good places to spend one night?
I actually know a lot about Black Mountain because my great grandfather used to own the summit part and lived a mile down the road from it. I don't think there's any place to camp or hike, but the road is public property

Old 04-01-2008, 01:39 PM

295 posts, read 974,600 times
I am from Middlesboro and am familiar with places to stay. We always stay at the Downtown Inn and Suites formerly a Best Western. We have always found the rooms to be clean, the staff nice and the rooms are very reasonably priced.

If you stay in Middlesboro, if you have time, visit the Cumberland Gap National Historical Park.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:09 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,427,295 times
I love that part of the state, beautiful country down there, I have family all over Letcher Co. but man it's over 400 miles from here, but to hell with gas prices I'm going down there this year.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:26 PM

295 posts, read 974,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
I love that part of the state, beautiful country down there, I have family all over Letcher Co. but man it's over 400 miles from here, but to hell with gas prices I'm going down there this year.
Go for it Davart. We want to go home for a few days too so we are already saving up for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky