Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2018, 12:26 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

Which counties in Kentucky have a lot of crop farms (as opposed to horses)? I prefer to photograph them but don't know where to start. Don't seem to have much luck with the search engines on this. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 06:28 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
The western portion of the state, although there are more crop farms than horse farms in just about every county of the state, except possibly Fayette County. Jefferson (Louisville) and Fayette (Lexington), along with a few of their surrounding counties, have fewer farms of any kind. Once upon a time every county had quite a few tobacco farms but a good portion of them have switched crops or in more populated counties the land is being used for non-farming purposes. Eastern Kentucky’s terrain isn’t really conducive to substantial farming, but it is there.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:18 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The western portion of the state, although there are more crop farms than horse farms in just about every county of the state, except possibly Fayette County. Jefferson (Louisville) and Fayette (Lexington), along with a few of their surrounding counties, have fewer farms of any kind. Once upon a time every county had quite a few tobacco farms but a good portion of them have switched crops or in more populated counties the land is being used for non-farming purposes. Eastern Kentucky’s terrain isn’t really conducive to substantial farming, but it is there.
Thanks.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:51 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
Horse farms and Dairy Farms are the most dominate in the Bluegrass section (Fayette County and Central Kentucky), but there are a lot of other just regular farms too....and orchards.
They say that the Bluegrass Region of Kentucky contains some of the most fertile soil in the
state/country...Pennyroyal is also a very productive as to farmland/agriculture.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agriculture_in_Kentucky

Most of Kentucky is very rural and made up of farms and small towns.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:28 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,366,715 times
Click on a county in this list to see what crops are raised within the county.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-25-2018, 12:02 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
If you want to photograph tobacco in the fields better get down to western Kentucky pretty quick. There's plenty of it down here and quite a bit is already in the barns and being smoke cured (dark fired tobacco). At one time, back in the 1920s and 30s, Mayfield was the world leader in tobacco sales. I'm seeing more now than when I was growing up. Also plenty of corn, soybeans, and canola. When I lived in Union County there were farmers growing popcorn. They'd let you glean all you wanted after they had combined the fields. I'll take stove top popped popcorn over microwaved anytime!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky