Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2019, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,750 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move to Eastern Kentucky, but know little about the state except the stereotypes that are always being thrown around. I am an Occupational Therapist (looking for my first job) and my husband has an Associates degree in criminal justice and 2 years of manufacturing experience. We have visited Irvine, Ky and LOVED it. We intend to visit further east in KY, near Huntington, WV and Ashland to see how we feel about those areas. I am looking for OT jobs in each of those areas. We want to move to Ky for the beautiful land and small towns. My husband loves hunting and fishing and I grew up in a small town, so we want small town and land. We have heard that the jobs situation is quite contrary in Eastern Kentucky. This is of concern for me. As is finding housing, as we have 2 Medium-large dogs and the postings on Craigslist and Facebook seem scarce.
We greatly appreciate any insight and advice. Thank you.
Also, we hope to stay within 1-1.5 hrs of Lexington or Huntington, WV due to accessibility to the airport for my retiree mother to fly in from South Florida.

Last edited by 123Explorer; 05-08-2019 at 12:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 06:39 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,893,031 times
Morehead would work very well in meeting many of your preferences. It is a medium-sized town which is home to Morehead State University, close to the very scenic Cave Run Lake, and is on I-64 - which leads to Ashland and Huntington. It is about an hour and a half from Lexington via I-64 and is surrounded by the wooded Appalachian foothills. There are annual storytelling and music festivals and a folk art museum in this vicinity.

Cave Run Lake is adjacent to part of the rugged Daniel Boone National Forest, and there are many summer cabins (some winterized) nearby - can't put them directly on the lake due to Army Corps of Engineers rules, but there are trails, picnic tables, a small natural and social history museum, marinas, campgrounds, and a swimming beach handy.

Ashland is likely to grow considerably in the upcoming years, if the controversial, Russian-funded big aluminum plant touted by Mitch McConnell actually comes to pass.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:27 AM

2 posts, read 3,750 times
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Morehead would work very well in meeting many of your preferences. It is a medium-sized town which is home to Morehead State University, close to the very scenic Cave Run Lake, and is on I-64 - which leads to Ashland and Huntington. It is about an hour and a half from Lexington via I-64 and is surrounded by the wooded Appalachian foothills. There are annual storytelling and music festivals and a folk art museum in this vicinity.

Cave Run Lake is adjacent to part of the rugged Daniel Boone National Forest, and there are many summer cabins (some winterized) nearby - can't put them directly on the lake due to Army Corps of Engineers rules, but there are trails, picnic tables, a small natural and social history museum, marinas, campgrounds, and a swimming beach handy.

Ashland is likely to grow considerably in the upcoming years, if the controversial, Russian-funded big aluminum plant touted by Mitch McConnell actually comes to pass.

Thank you for replying, I wasn't really sure if anyone would. Thank you for that information, Morehead is actually on our list of places to visit and see if we like. This makes me so much more excited to see what it has to offer. Is there very much manufacturing work near this area?

Old 05-11-2019, 04:34 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,893,031 times
I expect there are some factories in the area, but am not the best person to answer your questions. Maybe getting in touch with the local Chamber of Commerce would be helpful, along with other Kentuckian members here.

There is an Ale 8 One (legendary local soft drink) bottling plant in Winchester, but that's about an hour away...

Old 05-12-2019, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,776 times
Hi, I live in Ashland and we recently lost ARMCO STEEL and now CSX is all but shut down due to he coal industry being bleak. There are 3 /4 hospitals in the TriState area and as for manufacturing there are a few still going in Huntington. The jobs are very competitive here and hard to get a “good” paying one, but you or your husband would have as good a chance as the next person. There is much going on during the warm months with many festivals, festivities and such to enjoy. There is Rush Off Road which people come from afar with their campers and off road vehicles to test their skills and nerves. It really depends on how well you adjust as to how well you will like the area and of course your expectations. I apologize, I’m not much of s sales person or good at explaining but I hope this helps done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky