Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 03:02 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
I don't care what Mr. in-between, and any number of others may say. And, I'm sure they will all be along shortly to prove me wrong, yet again.
Maybe you should take a moment to read all the response in the thread before you start in with the butthurt and the whining about what other people might say. But then, what would be the fun in that, right?

OP, you just learned something useful about Kentucky. Any criticism at all is considered rude. You sort of get used to it after a while. As far as this forum is concerned, the way I look at it is that people asking those kinds of questions need that information to make one of the most important decisions in their lives. I'm going to give them the most honest answer I can, and if it pisses someone off because they don't want to hear anything but hoo-rahs for their state, that's not my problem.

CraigCreek has some great advice, and I didn't even know all that about Berea. I really love that little town. Between that and KYgman's excellent post, hopefully you have some good options on either end of the state. On the eastern side, you might also want to consider Morehead. Nice little college town, a reasonable distance from Lexington, and right on the edge of some really pretty country.

I agree that January is probably the least favorable month to come and check it out, but if that's the month that works for your schedule, then I guess it'll have to do. Almost every winter storm that passes through here is going to ice the roads, but if you can handle Colorado winter weather, you can drive here.

Just be aware that January is probably the ugliest month of the whole year, but if you like it in January, you're gonna love it in April. January in Kentucky is more like March in Colorado - grey, muddy, sloppy... but you'll be going into it knowing that, so you'll take that into consideration when you're evaluating it. Don't let it scare you away.

Quote:
It just means running/riding before work, instead of after, in the summers. Growing up, the summers in Michigan were no joke heat/humidity-wise. The summers were short, but holy cow hot and humid.
Yeah; I grew up in Wisconsin and lived most of my life there and Minnesota. I figured, "how bad can it be? It's only 5 degrees hotter, so what's the big deal?" Well, I found out. Didn't quite work out the way I'd hoped. I figured I'd just go out during the cooler parts of the day, but when it's still in the high 80s at 10 PM (which is not that uncommon), there really is no cool part of the day. Dewpoints are often in the 70s many days at a time, round the clock, and when it's that humid the air doesn't let go of the heat.

Different people have different tolerances for heat and humidity, so maybe you'll adjust just fine. I never got used to it. I hate the summers, but that doesn't mean you will.

Quote:
I hear allergies in KY aren't as bad as they are in AL, too, which if true, is a bonus.
I hadn't heard that at all, but if Alabama is worse than Kentucky, it must be pretty awful. Kentucky is consistently ranked one of the worst states in the country for allergies, if not the worst. I never had a single allergy my whole life, but when I moved down here in my mid-50s, I sure got all caught up.

I got here on May 15, and by the 17th, I felt like wasps were stinging me inside my face. I couldn't believe it; I finally understood why so many people with allergies don't particularly care for them. The first couple of years were miserable, but I ate local honey every day, and I really believe that eventually helped. It took several years, but I hardly ever have problems with it anymore. I found that they didn't really go away in the winter, but they did get somewhat better. You don't have much pollen in the winter, but I think you have more mold because of the dampness. I highly recommend the local honey, and by that I mean the county you live in. It's not hard to find; you can't swing a dead cat in Kentucky without knocking over a half dozen beehives.

Quote:
One new thing I thought of - what are car insurance rates like there? I did some Googling, and it looks like they're on the high side? By way of example, the average for us (with our youngest son a 17 year old drive on our policy) is $100/mo per vehicle. Our newest car is a 2014. Oldest is 2011. Nothing's super pricey. I'm going to call my insurance provider, but thought I'd throw that out there in case anyone has any tips.
I feel as though they're higher, but I can't do a direct comparison. When I moved away from Minnesota, I was a single 53-year old male with one car and a credit score over 800. When I arrived in Kentucky, I immediately became a married man with a 32-year old wife who had 2 cars of her own and a credit score... mmm... somewhat less than 800. It's really hard to compare, but I'm paying a lot more than I was expecting to pay

We do have a really great agent, though - if you like, I'd be happy to give you his number, and see what he can find for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 10:30 AM

14 posts, read 15,622 times
Mr. In-between, thank you so much for all the info (and everyone else, and the private messages). I really love the good, bad, and ugly perspectives - because honesty is going to help us figure out where to start, to hopefully make the best choice for us. I thought about the time of year, January - being so ugly, and I think exactly what you're saying - see it at it's "worst" and see what we think.

Just found out that one of my husband's co-workers relocated from WA state to (western) KY, and hasn't looked back (he works for the same company still, just remotely now). LOVES the change. This gives me hope, even though we're theoretically aiming at the other side of the state (though I'm going to broaden my search, based on all the suggestions).

Local honey!! I'm a huge believer in that. Thank you for that info, too. I'm sure it'll be a big part of our move, especially since you say that KY probably has the worst allergies. Symbicort and no voice, here I come! Being originally from MI, hopefully I can re-acclimate to the humidity. Mornings will probably be best for me. I recall things not cooling down as much - the front range of Colorado has that altitude going for it, too, with the cool-downs.

Thank you again for all the input. I really appreciate everyone's time.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Might want to check out schools, if your 17 year old son is not yet in college. Moving during or just prior to one's senior year can be very, very difficult.

Also, be aware that many tourist oriented places here close down in January - museums do their heavy cleaning then, and it's the coldest, snowiest month of the year in Kentucky. Good time to hunker down, build a fire, make soup, and read those books you've postponed. Not the best time to visit, and snowstorms may affect road conditions.

Berea is a great town, and it does have some nightlife - with local and college theater, traditional music and dance being highlights, along with several restaurants which keep late hours. It's also just 12 miles down the road from Richmond, home to Eastern State University and a wider range of activities, and about 45 minutes' drive from Lexington, which offers all manner of entertainment, in addition to medical care and sports.

And of course, Berea is not only the Arts and Crafts Capitol of Kentucky, but is home to Berea College, which plays a very major role in the town. Admission to Berea College is very, very select, as Berea was founded for education of "mountain youth", whose parents' income must fall below a certain amount (which varies according to the number of family members), while requiring high grades and test scores. There is no tuition, but all students must work at least 10 hours per week. Berea has a huge endowment and is consistently on lists of best colleges in the U.S.

As for hiking, Indian Fort Mountain is about five miles from the center of town, and has numerous trails to the top of the mountain. Anglin Falls, a nature preserve south of town, offers what feels like a primeval forest, with ferns and mosses and a spectacular waterfall at the head of the hollow. Indian Fort Mountain also hosts craft fairs each year. Berea was originally built on the last ridge (foothill, really) of the Cumberland Mountains, but of course the town has expanded over the years. Still, the mountains are right there, to the east and south of town.
Our oldest will have graduated - he graduates this coming May, and we're talking about visiting before then, and then moving during the summer, after he graduates. The only reason we're not moving now (at the high of the housing prices, and thus greatest of our home equity here in CO) is because we're committed to him finishing his senior year of high school. No way we could yank him out and make him finish someplace else. I had to go from MI to CO and finish out my Junior and Senior years, and it was horrid. He doesn't want to go to college; he's looking at the trade$ and trade school.

That is AWESOME about the hiking, thank you - I'll look that up.

Thank you!

Old 04-17-2020, 01:56 PM

8 posts, read 8,622 times
Hi, I'm late to this thread but wanted to suggest some insight to where I live. (My sister lives in Broomfield, CO near you so I understand what you mean by that area is exploding in growth!! They love it there, though, and I like to visit!

I lived in Lexington and now live in Berea. Lexington is such a cool city...it has arts, education, tons of local restaurants but has the convenience of a lot less traffic than you're used to. Don't forget it has one of the hottest teams in college basketball, so early spring is always fun here! Also, world-class horse racing at Keeneland in April and October.

Richmond and Berea are in the adjacent Madison County, and are home to Eastern Kentucky University, and lots of art and galleries in Berea. Google Berea and art and you'll see what I mean. For hiking and outdoorsy things, you have several parks in Lexington, and in Berea you have the Pinnacles (rated best hiking in Kentucky) merely a few miles from downtown Berea. The Red River Gorge and the Natural Bridge are about an hour away. Major hiking there!

I also moved here from out of state and one thing I want to mention is there are hardly any mosquitos here compared to the East Coast! I feel the humidity is also much more reasonable here.

Old 06-29-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy Davis View Post
Hi, I'm late to this thread but wanted to suggest some insight to where I live. (My sister lives in Broomfield, CO near you so I understand what you mean by that area is exploding in growth!! They love it there, though, and I like to visit!

I lived in Lexington and now live in Berea. Lexington is such a cool city...it has arts, education, tons of local restaurants but has the convenience of a lot less traffic than you're used to. Don't forget it has one of the hottest teams in college basketball, so early spring is always fun here! Also, world-class horse racing at Keeneland in April and October.

Richmond and Berea are in the adjacent Madison County, and are home to Eastern Kentucky University, and lots of art and galleries in Berea. Google Berea and art and you'll see what I mean. For hiking and outdoorsy things, you have several parks in Lexington, and in Berea you have the Pinnacles (rated best hiking in Kentucky) merely a few miles from downtown Berea. The Red River Gorge and the Natural Bridge are about an hour away. Major hiking there!

I also moved here from out of state and one thing I want to mention is there are hardly any mosquitos here compared to the East Coast! I feel the humidity is also much more reasonable here.
This is amazing info, thank you!! Our house ZIP code is Broomfield, but our house address is Westminster. I can't tell you how excited I am to read your take on the mosquitos!! I grew up in Michigan, and was SO happy about the Colorado foothills' lack of them. The thought of moving back to an area with those bloodsuckers is so daunting. Great about the humidity, too! Thanks so much for your input!

Old 06-30-2020, 10:12 AM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
Moquistos can be bad there, especially at dusk in the summer. The humidity is pretty high too. Not the worst, but big changes from Colorado.

If you want other spots to check near Lexington: Versailles, Frankfort, Herrington Lake, Danville, Paris.

I would not go deep into the country on first move. Can always move out further later if you are sure you want it. The difference may be bigger than many realize initially. For good maybe and not.

Re-assess safety of cycling / running on roads based on road width and driver behavior.

Would you consider near Cookeville TN, Boone NC or Blacksburg VA?

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-30-2020 at 11:12 AM..

Old 06-30-2020, 03:22 PM

21 posts, read 33,825 times
ill toss my .02 in the mix..
born and raised outside chicago
so i know to the bone cold..
you know, the kind where ya wear your coat inside at a gathering...

moved to florida in my 30's.
been here 24 years...
yeah..
this is tropical!
walked around the first few weeks drenched.
had to keep looking over my shoulder to make sure someone wasnt following me with a hose.

visited kentucky at all times of the supposed worst periods...heat/humidity /cold/etc.
what a nice relief, and i acclimate rather quick.

we just bought some land outside columbia, and as a second home, i wouldnt have it any other way.
the folks there are genuine friendly.
all the amenities i and the missus need are within reasonable driving distance, and whats traffic again?
i forget every time im there.

i think youll love it.
remember..
everything in life,
from where you live, what you do, and how its done is all up to you.
it can be miserable, or it can be bliss.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:31 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny from Florida View Post
ill toss my .02 in the mix..
born and raised outside chicago
so i know to the bone cold..
you know, the kind where ya wear your coat inside at a gathering...

moved to florida in my 30's.
been here 24 years...
yeah..
this is tropical!
walked around the first few weeks drenched.
had to keep looking over my shoulder to make sure someone wasnt following me with a hose.

visited kentucky at all times of the supposed worst periods...heat/humidity /cold/etc.
what a nice relief, and i acclimate rather quick.

we just bought some land outside columbia, and as a second home, i wouldnt have it any other way.
the folks there are genuine friendly.
all the amenities i and the missus need are within reasonable driving distance, and whats traffic again?
i forget every time im there.

i think youll love it.
remember..
everything in life,
from where you live, what you do, and how its done is all up to you.
it can be miserable, or it can be bliss.
What a nice post! I seriously considered buying a house in Columbia but bought instead in Maysville. It just comes down to personal choices. Once I visited Maysville I was hooked and didn't want to leave, and I greatly enjoyed the lovely drive from Lexington to Maysville which is just a little over an hour.

Old 07-14-2020, 03:06 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
What a nice post! I seriously considered buying a house in Columbia but bought instead in Maysville. It just comes down to personal choices. Once I visited Maysville I was hooked and didn't want to leave, and I greatly enjoyed the lovely drive from Lexington to Maysville which is just a little over an hour.
Thanks for letting us know where you wound up. Maysville is a beautiful town that is rich in history, and I am glad you enjoying your "New Old Kentucky Home".

Old 07-14-2020, 06:58 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Thanks for letting us know where you wound up. Maysville is a beautiful town that is rich in history, and I am glad you enjoying your "New Old Kentucky Home".
I do believe that you my friend brought Maysville to my attention several years ago in a post. I did buy a little Victorian in the downtown area. The house itself came rented and the lease won't expire until May which is a blessing because it allows me to finish out the work year here, get my house in CA ready to sell, make the big move and finally retire. I'm so looking forward to it.

I hope it's ok to post this picture I took in November of part of the downtown. My house is just one block away from here.

Last edited by marino760; 07-14-2020 at 07:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky