Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2008, 11:10 PM

1 posts, read 4,575 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I are getting ready to move from Las Vegas, NV to Louisville, KY. My husband is getting ready to attend Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. We have elementary school aged kids and I'm wondering where would be the best area to live in? I keep hearing a lot of St. Mathews area, but can someone please tell me why they would recommend it. I would like to live in an area where it is family oriented, safe, where I can take my kids for walks and somewhere not too far from school. I'm very nervouse, but excited to move there. Everyone tells me it's going to be a culture shock for me, being that I've lived most of my life in Southern California and about 15 yrs. of that in Las Vegas. I love the desert and the newness of all the homes and shopping, but I am ready to live somewhere where it is more of a slow place and a city where I don't have to worry about my children looking at billboards with have naked woman. Plus, I love nature and have always wanted to live in a city that green and open.
Any input anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 05:25 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vima View Post
Hello,

My family and I are getting ready to move from Las Vegas, NV to Louisville, KY. My husband is getting ready to attend Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. We have elementary school aged kids and I'm wondering where would be the best area to live in? I keep hearing a lot of St. Mathews area, but can someone please tell me why they would recommend it. I would like to live in an area where it is family oriented, safe, where I can take my kids for walks and somewhere not too far from school. I'm very nervouse, but excited to move there. Everyone tells me it's going to be a culture shock for me, being that I've lived most of my life in Southern California and about 15 yrs. of that in Las Vegas. I love the desert and the newness of all the homes and shopping, but I am ready to live somewhere where it is more of a slow place and a city where I don't have to worry about my children looking at billboards with have naked woman. Plus, I love nature and have always wanted to live in a city that green and open.
Any input anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.
Congrats on your husbands choice to join the seminary! My church has a ton of transplants from other states attending seminary and most of them live on campus. The neighborhood my church is in, Cloverleaf, is also a nice area with affordable homes. Good luck!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:29 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,055,527 times
St. Matthews is nice, older homes, and centrally located. The Louisville Ballet has its lower school there, if your children happen to dance. I would totally live there if I were moving to Louisville.

You will love the slower pace. Louisville is a nice city with plenty to offer, and a vibe all its own. No naked ladies. You might have some trouble with the lesser amount of sunlight, but then again, you might love it.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:37 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
Pics of St Matthews

http://static4.bareka.com/photos/medium/9794515.jpg (broken link)

http://static2.bareka.com/photos/medium/9794517.jpg (broken link)

http://static2.bareka.com/photos/medium/9794509.jpg (broken link)

Elementary Schools:
courier-journal.com » Kentucky CATS scores » Louisville, KY
courier-journal.com » Kentucky CATS scores » Louisville, KY

Old 04-30-2008, 09:44 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
Default About the kids

I once lived less than 2 blocks from SBTS. As a seminarian, I would suppose you plan to rent? Do you need three bed rooms or will two do? Can you handle steps, will you have one or two cars? Will both parents work and/or attend school?

If you are planning to be in Louisville area long term, you will want to live in Ballard/Eastern/Manual home districts. Stay away from Westport Middle School. Highlands Middle is ok. Other eastside schools will do reasonably well.

Best overall school system is Oldham County. All the schools are nationally recognized without chance of getting a bum school due to "diversity".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky