Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 02:51 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times

Advertisements

This tornado started in Arkansas but was on the ground in Kentucky for 200 miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97b_FKG660o
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2021, 02:52 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,653,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
This is one event I don't ever want to live through again! We are in Mayfield and live in a 110 yr old double brick house and we felt it shake!! We knew it hit downtown but thought the closest it got to us was about 6 blocks north. We drove to Paducah to get some things today and saw huge trees uprooted 2 blocks from our house! The four churches in the downtown area were all demolished. Every time I see pictures or video of the First Presbyterian, where we went, I cry. My parents were married in that church in 1946. Now it's nothing but a pile of rubble. Post Office destroyed as was most of downtown. One of two water towers is down. We have no water and no electricity. Looking at at least a couple weeks to get things online again.
I saw a video of a live feed on Facebook of some women at work at the candle factory here (if you've ever used a Glade scented candle, it may have come from Mayfield), trapped in the collapsed building, begging for help.
Please keep us all in your thoughts and prayers. Not only the citizens but the families of those who died and also for the linemen, EMTs, Police, Fire Department, state, county and city road departments and all others involved in the rescue and recovery going on.
It is something how with a tornado, a couple of blocks can make such a difference. After the EF-4 here in Cookeville decimated the housing areas on the west side, it was on a path for our hospital and university and then to the other side of town where we live. But then, just short of the hospital and university, it dissipated. Sometimes luck is on your side and sometimes it isn't.

It will be touch, but I'm sure Mayfield will pull together and get through this.

Old 12-11-2021, 03:08 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Kygman, so glad you are ok. I was thinking about you all day hoping to hear something.

Old 12-11-2021, 03:48 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
The damage pictures I've seen are EF4 or EF5 damage in many places with a wide damage path. I think the shocking death toll is mostly that damage was so severe even the interior of the houses provided no shelter rather than due to mobile homes. High EF4 or EF5 is literally nuclear bomb level damage. Nothing left but a concrete slab in 60 seconds. Those kind of tornadoes can kill people in basements. You also have a mass causality event at a single candle factory in Mayfield because the factory probably didn't shelter employees despite dire warnings 30+ minutes ahead of time.

Bowling Green damage reminds me a lot of 2020 Cookeville TN, narrow paths of extreme damage with minor damage next door. I've seen images of slabbed houses in BG, which is EF4 or EF5 depending on construction quality. I don't think BG had ever had a bad tornado.

Kygman very glad you're OK.

Old 12-11-2021, 03:50 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,880,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
This is one event I don't ever want to live through again! We are in Mayfield and live in a 110 yr old double brick house and we felt it shake!! We knew it hit downtown but thought the closest it got to us was about 6 blocks north. We drove to Paducah to get some things today and saw huge trees uprooted 2 blocks from our house! The four churches in the downtown area were all demolished. Every time I see pictures or video of the First Presbyterian, where we went, I cry. My parents were married in that church in 1946. Now it's nothing but a pile of rubble. Post Office destroyed as was most of downtown. One of two water towers is down. We have no water and no electricity. Looking at at least a couple weeks to get things online again.
I saw a video of a live feed on Facebook of some women at work at the candle factory here (if you've ever used a Glade scented candle, it may have come from Mayfield), trapped in the collapsed building, begging for help.
Please keep us all in your thoughts and prayers. Not only the citizens but the families of those who died and also for the linemen, EMTs, Police, Fire Department, state, county and city road departments and all others involved in the rescue and recovery going on.
I'm glad to hear from you gman. Out prayers are for everyone involved. We checked on family in Bowling Green this morning, they had damage as well but nothing like Mayfield.

Old 12-11-2021, 03:54 PM

20,125 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The damage pictures I've seen are EF4 or EF5 damage in many places with a wide damage path. I think the shocking death toll is mostly that damage was so severe even the interior of the houses provided no shelter rather than due to mobile homes. High EF4 or EF5 is literally nuclear bomb level damage. Nothing left but a concrete slab in 60 seconds. Those kind of tornadoes can kill people in basements. You also have a mass causality event at a single candle factory in Mayfield because the factory probably didn't shelter employees despite dire warnings 30+ minutes ahead of time.

Bowling Green damage reminds me a lot of 2020 Cookeville TN, narrow paths of extreme damage with minor damage next door. I've seen images of slabbed houses in BG, which is EF4 or EF5 depending on construction quality. I don't think BG had ever had a bad tornado.

Kygman very glad you're OK.
Have you seen the factory? It was leveled to the ground, no part of the structure was left standing, heavy vehicles and equipment were thrown around like they were toys in the hands of an angry toddler. There was no place to shelter from this.

Old 12-11-2021, 04:06 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,442,866 times
EF5, without question. Large buildings completely demolished, scores of homes swept from their foundations. This is next level destruction, and the sheer scope of it is what’s really terrifying. I didn’t think I’d ever see worse than Joplin in my lifetime, but from the video I’ve looked at today I’m pretty sure I have now.

Old 12-11-2021, 04:32 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,360,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Kygman, so glad you are ok. I was thinking about you all day hoping to hear something.
+1, and very glad you and your family are OK kygman. 2 blocks away from a massive tornado is a very close call. It will take a long time for your town to get back on its feet and many things will never be the same. The power of nature is overwhelming - it reminds us that we humans are but a tiny speck on the planet.

Old 12-11-2021, 05:49 PM

7,826 posts, read 2,724,781 times
I lived through the 1974 super outbreak. An EF4 came within 1 mile of our house....I remember it like it was yesterday. The difference in this system is that it was primarily one BIG tornado. The 1974 outbreak produced 7 F5's and 23 F4's, so there were literally 3 F5 tornadoes on the ground within a 50 mi radius of our house at the same time.

This one seems more ominous.....over 200 miles on the ground and from the damage pictures I've seen....definitely EF4/EF5 category. Mayfield reminds me of Brandenburg and Xenia OH in 74. All of my family lives in KY...and I am happy to report they are all safe. The Bowling Green KY tornado literally hit the apartment complex where I lived for a brief time. My heart goes out to the Bluegrass tonight. I'm afraid that death toll is only going up...lets pray that it doesn't.

Old 12-11-2021, 08:57 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
+1, and very glad you and your family are OK kygman. 2 blocks away from a massive tornado is a very close call. It will take a long time for your town to get back on its feet and many things will never be the same. The power of nature is overwhelming - it reminds us that we humans are but a tiny speck on the planet.
Event like these remind us just how powerful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky