Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 05:48 AM

945 posts, read 1,972,214 times

Advertisements

There was some very rough weather in Johnson & Wilson counties overnight that contained some tornado's. At least 2 people were killed and some are missing. A tremendous amount of damage was done. More severe weather may pass through the Triangle this afternoon. Please be on the lookout.

At least two dead, others missing after tornadoes strike :: WRAL.com

Rough weather could make a return appearance :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 10:24 AM

945 posts, read 1,972,214 times
It's pretty windy out there now, but at least sunny. I am not sure they are right about more bad weather coming through.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:12 AM

505 posts, read 2,543,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
It's pretty windy out there now, but at least sunny. I am not sure they are right about more bad weather coming through.
Well, with the strong cold front moving in...and the sun we are getting now...it should provide enough lift for some big storms later this afternoon. That does not mean it will happen though. But the conditions are favorable.

NC Weather Forum: NC Weather Forum - Message Board - Yuku

Old 11-15-2008, 12:00 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,097 times
that was surprisingly (to me) close to Raleigh. is this type of weather common? i've never had a tornado come anywhere near where i live... scary!

Old 11-15-2008, 01:09 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
that was surprisingly (to me) close to Raleigh. is this type of weather common? i've never had a tornado come anywhere near where i live... scary!
Touching down tornadoes do happen in this area, but I would not call them common. That being said, I think it is safe to say weather patterns are changing and we are probably now going to be considered prime tornado country here. The amount of warm tropical fronts coming through NC has increased dramatically and with that comes the twisters.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:01 PM

180 posts, read 700,890 times
The twisters I experienced while growing up in NC were usually much slower than the one that came through last night--it is rare to get one as powerful as the now-reported F3 that tore up Kenly and Elm City. (Some outlets still reporting F2, guess it depends on what you read.)

I remember the outbreak of 1984 all too well--we were spared that year in Wilson Co. but all around us it was chaos. A tornado came through Wilson proper in 1989 that did some damage but nothing like this (save Hurricane Floyd, but haven't seen tornado damage this severe). I still have some friends in the area and I hope they are all ok and I'm waiting to hear how a family member faired near Elm City.

Last edited by docindigo76; 11-15-2008 at 02:59 PM..

Old 11-15-2008, 02:03 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,535 times
Default reply

the 1988 raleigh tornado that started at Umstead park was an F3 if I remember correctly. It did alot of damage on at least a 12 lile path if not more. Scary it was.

Last edited by uncletupelo; 11-15-2008 at 03:00 PM..

Old 11-15-2008, 02:57 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
The North Raleigh tornado was an F4 and happened on 11-28-1988. Deadly too. It went about a mile north of my school. Here is a map of its path...

Quote:
[SIZE=-1]
The tornado first touched down in western Wake county, in Umstead State Park, about 2 miles east of Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU) at 100 AM on November 28, 1988. The tornado reached a maximum intensity of F4 on the Fujita scale in northwestern and northern sections of Raleigh shortly after 100 AM. The tornado remained on the ground for 84 miles as it raced northeast at 50 mph through northeastern Wake, southern Franklin, northwestern Nash, central Halifax, Northampton, and northern Hertford counties. This path took the storm north of the communities New Hope and Justice, between Castalia and Aventon, just south of the town of Halifax, and finally lifted 2 miles northwest of Jackson. The tornado generally produced damage on the F0 to F1 scale, but occasionally produced F2 and F3 damage.

The most intense damage occurred over northwestern Raleigh where the tornado traveled through densely populated areas near major intersections. F4 damage was observed across portions of the tornado path in western and northern Raleigh. Many large businesses were damaged or destroyed including a K-Mart. There were two reported fatalities and 105 injuries across Raleigh as the tornado tracked across several subdivisions.

Two additional fatalities occurred in northwestern Nash county between Castalia and Avondale when a couple residing in a mobile home were killed. The tornado was responsible for destroying 425 residences and 78 businesses while claiming 4 lives. Over 2000 residences sustained damage, which left nearly 1000 people homeless. 1988 figures place the total damages associated with this tornado at over 77 million dollars.

The tornado had its origin in a cluster of thunderstorms that developed over south central North Carolina just before midnight on November 27. This cluster of thunderstorms rapidly intensified as it moved into Wake county from the southwest between 1245 AM and 100 AM on November 28, 1988. Upon entering Wake county, the thunderstorms increased in severity and became a tornado producer shortly after 100 AM, and continued to produce a long lived tornado for a total of 84 miles and almost 2 hours as it traveled from Raleigh to near the Virginia border.
[/SIZE]

Old 11-15-2008, 04:59 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,156,512 times
Arrow Now I thought you all had less Tornadoes!!

I have read extensivily about the 1984 Tornado outbreak than ran all through Tornado alley and all the way up to Canada with several F-4 and above Tornadoes!! Yikes. I didn't think they got as far east as NC? What would you say is the amount of Tornadoes that hit the NC area on a yearly basis? We were looking originally at East Kentucky area, which had a lot less Tornadoes than western Kentucky being closer to Tornado Alley. We figured that being even more to the East would mean even less chance of a Tornado other than those spawned by a Major Hurricane. Inquiring minds want to know? How often do you hear a Tornado Siren? Just need to ease my wife's mind regarding the occurance. Thanks in advance!

Old 11-15-2008, 05:07 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
I pray for those affected.

Be aware that tornadoes in November are quite common in this state. The Raleigh tornado, the 1992 Hillsborough tornado, and the one in Riegelwood in 2006 to name a few. All 3 I just metioned were killer tornadoes and at least F3 in strength. All also occured at night/early morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary