Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 03:38 PM

8,500 posts, read 4,741,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Overnight our state got hit by devastating tornado. It left destruction across over 220 miles of Kentucky. Estimates of deaths in Mayfield alone is estimated between 50-100. At least one WKU student has died.

We had some activity last night but from what I can tell most destruction was not too bad, although there are some flattened barns.
If I weren’t tied to a paycheck, I’d already be up there volunteering. I really hate these kinds of disasters. The victims didn’t ask for it or do anything wrong, the definition of innocent, and the devastation is awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2021, 05:07 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I wondered about that. Like why wasn't there a concrete walled structure somewhere in the floor plan? Seems obvious in hindsight. Maybe that will change now and such places will be built that way or retro-fitted.
There were areas designated and authorized as safe shelter areas. People were in those areas. Everything was destroyed.

Old 12-12-2021, 05:19 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
The big issue is our area has a lot of tornado warnings and 99% are at most moderate or light damage over a brief path. There has to be a way to issue warnings based on risk level. It wouldn't make sense for a warehouse to spend an hour sheltering employees for a possible weak tornado within a line. But a storm capable of a high end tornado should be treated differently. At a warehouse type building in those rare events evacuation needs to be ordered with workers told which direction to drive out of the path. All storms are not created equal, only a few are capable of a long track EF3+ tornado.

Of note a Wrangler jeans factory in Hackleburg AL did send workers home early during the 2011 Super Outbreak... probably saving dozens of lives as the EF5 directly hit it.

https://www.al.com/spotnews/2011/08/...yed_in_al.html

Old 12-12-2021, 05:32 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
News reports just said only 8 not 70 are missing at Glade factory in Mayfield. However also heard 13 dead and 100 missing in Dawson Springs which is basically wiped out.

Old 12-12-2021, 07:09 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Quote:
There were areas designated and authorized as safe shelter areas. People were in those areas. Everything was destroyed.
Sure there were designated areas, but if they were knocked flat they were clearly inadequate. Areas within these types of buildings that are constructed of concrete have a much higher likelihood of weathering severe storms. They should have had such areas. If not, moving forward this is something that should be done so this doesn't happen again.

Old 12-13-2021, 12:04 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Sure there were designated areas, but if they were knocked flat they were clearly inadequate. Areas within these types of buildings that are constructed of concrete have a much higher likelihood of weathering severe storms. They should have had such areas. If not, moving forward this is something that should be done so this doesn't happen again.
This is a once a century or two event. Have you not seen the area? This is my brother-in-law’s hometown. Concrete building were destroyed all over the town including the church he attended. The buildings weren’t designed to stay erect in a nuclear attack either. It is impractical and unfeasible to plan for, let alone prevent, every danger Mother Nature dreams up.

Old 12-13-2021, 01:47 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
I read that the Amazon warehouse in Indiana which was destroyed with loss of life had concrete walls and at least one of the walls collapsed, so in extreme tornado situations like this, it makes little difference. That was a relatively new building, not a century old.

Last edited by marino760; 12-13-2021 at 02:32 AM..

Old 12-13-2021, 02:34 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
This is a once a century or two event. Have you not seen the area? This is my brother-in-law’s hometown. Concrete building were destroyed all over the town including the church he attended. The buildings weren’t designed to stay erect in a nuclear attack either. It is impractical and unfeasible to plan for, let alone prevent, every danger Mother Nature dreams up.
Perhaps underground homes are the answer to some of these areas in Tornado Alley?

Old 12-13-2021, 07:58 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
My thoughts are with everyone that was affected by this extreme storm...that goes for the people in Edwardsville, IL as well.

Regarding the candle factory, my mind keeps going back to the Wrangler Jean factory that was flattened by an EF-5 tornado in Alabama a decade or so ago. Only 1 person died there because they had the forethought to shut down and send everyone home w/ the threat that was ongoing that day. Had the management of the factory put employee's lives first over profits and production levels. they would have done the same thing...NWS earlier in the day stated that this could be a very violent night of storms. To me they should have shut down. Candles can wait. Now, w/ the devastation that occurred, maybe it wouldn't have saved many lives...but it very well could have. Either way, this is a very sad situation.

Old 12-13-2021, 11:21 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianVanAmstel View Post
Many houses have basements. Those industrial building that were destroyed are a hell of a lot more sturdy than a house.
I thought I saw video of homes that had their basements ripped into by that Mayfield twister. I'm not sure if that region has many basements or not, but regardless being underground is not always a fail-safe when it comes to the most powerful tornadoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky