Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 09:12 AM

21,880 posts, read 12,936,608 times

Advertisements

Kentucky is seemingly completely unable to cope with winter weather. Let there be an inch of snow or some cold temperatures (hello, it's January) and schools close for an entire week, events are all cancelled, places shut down, and people get hysterical. I'm pretty sure life goes on as usual in other states where it snows or get cold, or no one would ever do anything in some places. They cope and manage. Why is Kentucky so weak?

Last edited by otterhere; 01-19-2024 at 09:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2024, 11:07 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
I haven't noticed since I don't need to go anywhere and haven't turned on the news. Everything looks normal outside, except about 3" of snow on the ground. The streets are snow free and vehicles are driving around normally but with fewer cars on the road. I haven't seen any kind of Armageddon.

Last edited by marino760; 01-19-2024 at 11:16 AM..

Old 01-19-2024, 02:15 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,792,964 times
We’ve been home bound here in North Alabama by ice and one inch of snow and sleet since late Monday 1/15/24. Schools won’t reopen until Monday 1/22/24 (maybe). I can remember standing in a foot of snow in Kentucky on Hwy 52 near Moberly waiting for the school bus in the late fifties and losing sight of my 6-year old sister who had disappeared in a ditch by the Highway. I guess school bus drivers in Kentucky had super skills back then. Glad to see students don’t have to stand by slick ice and snow covered roads any more in Kentucky waiting for a bus.

Last edited by nalabama; 01-19-2024 at 02:23 PM..

Old 01-19-2024, 02:34 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
In the mountains when I was a kid, a foot of snow we had the day off from school.
More than that and a week off was not unusual.
I walked to school up hill in all kinds of weather, "it's actually true."
It wasn't very far and I didn't really mind.
Days like that I made spare change installing snow chains or shoveling roofs.

Old 01-19-2024, 04:08 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,880,108 times
Well, it's been a milk and bread kinda week for sure. We got 6 inches and it ain't done yet. I ain't going nowhere, in fact I told my local drug dealer just a few days ago to fill me up because I won't be back until march.

I don't know, I guess I'm just weak, probably not, just smarter...

If it wasn't so dang cold I'd fire up the smoker and cook a butt and a brisket.

Old 01-19-2024, 04:53 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Warm temps and rain on the horizon next week. I'll be watching the Ohio River rise. There's going to be a lot of water going into it with melting snow and rain between here and Pittsburgh.

Old 01-20-2024, 03:38 PM

14,760 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Snow day!!!!!!
I kind of love snow days! Getting warm and cozy with a book and cup of hot chocolate or hot tea or coffee, looking out at the beautiful snow. I love snow.
And Kentucky is so beautiful in snow.

These pictures were taken several years back in Lexington(Kentucky Horsepark). I took a picture out the patio door window, but am staying inside. Temps too cold for me this time!

Old 01-20-2024, 03:59 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Here in Knoxville TN, I have been snowed in (iced in) since Monday. Both Dr. appointments have canceled on me before I was able to cancel on them. Here is to mid-50s temps middle of next week. I can finally get off my block and go to the store.

I need to buy a 4WD or AWD vehicle. My RWD Dodge Challenger doesn't cut it on hilly icy roads. Even 4WD is challenge and you have to be slow and careful. I have no chance in my RWD muscle car.

Old 01-26-2024, 01:41 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Snow day!!!!!!
I kind of love snow days! Getting warm and cozy with a book and cup of hot chocolate or hot tea or coffee, looking out at the beautiful snow. I love snow.
And Kentucky is so beautiful in snow.

These pictures were taken several years back in Lexington(Kentucky Horsepark). I took a picture out the patio door window, but am staying inside. Temps too cold for me this time!

Gorgeous pictures!

Old 01-31-2024, 10:41 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Kentucky is seemingly completely unable to cope with winter weather. Let there be an inch of snow or some cold temperatures (hello, it's January) and schools close for an entire week, events are all cancelled, places shut down, and people get hysterical. I'm pretty sure life goes on as usual in other states where it snows or get cold, or no one would ever do anything in some places. They cope and manage. Why is Kentucky so weak?
I'm from PA, and we got so much more snow, up to 4 feet at times and in my childhood so much more, but it didn't cripple us, however, we stock piled salt year round, until the silo in which they were stored in were full....we also have snow plows and a lot of people who have trucks have plows on their trucks for winter, which is how they make extra money. I do not believe our work shut down in the 23 years I worked there except one time, due to snow....basically it was up to you, if you wanted to work from home, you could.

Kentucky isn't equipped for bad weather, I don't know what they have in the way of salt or snow plows....also, whenever there was a storm predicted, the trucks were out the day before spreading some kind of brine all over the roads to help the snow not stick....or freeze....and then while it was snowing out came the plow trucks with plows on the front and salt in the back....and on the highways, they plowed two and three plows side by side.

Kentucky needs to rethink it, and people have to learn to drive in snow and ice....the main contributing factor of accidents is driving way too fast for conditions which is why they have pile ups on the interstate and which is why I don't go out.....every single time I'm out driving I see people running red lights, those same people think and actually believe b/c they have 4 wheel drive they can still drive 55 or 65 miles and hour, God Bless your little hearts....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky