Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 03:23 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard View Post
OK, I have an unfortunate problem.

I unconsciously mimic accents. Not bad at it either. This happens when ever I talk to a customer anywhere in the world. I just slowly start to change my accent (well OK Californians don't have a real "accent" we just talk really fast) to fit without even noticing it. Probably goes back to all my drama classes, etc.

Now, if I do that, but make no indication that I am being disrespectful, will I catch grief over it, or just be .......?

In Texas and North Carolina, where I lived for a while, they didn't seem to notice or if they did they just ignored it.

How about Kentucky?????????

People probably will know the accent is recently acquired, but no one will care. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Most people do pick up a saying here and there like y'all, but native Kentuckian's speak fairly slowly and drawn out and that is something most don't adapt to. It is just too different for them. The cadence is very unnatural for those not from here...unless they are from even further south. I do the same thing you do where I mimic accents and I have since I was a child. Children will pick up any accent they are around up until they are about 25. My sister and her four children moved all over the country when the children were little and they would adapt their accents each time. They lived next door to a German family with small children for several years when the youngest children were just learning to talk. The kids had a German accent...lol. Then they up and moved to Dallas, TX. No one could understand a thing they said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 06:03 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,117,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
People probably will know the accent is recently acquired, but no one will care. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Most people do pick up a saying here and there like y'all, but native Kentuckian's speak fairly slowly and drawn out and that is something most don't adapt to. It is just too different for them. The cadence is very unnatural for those not from here...unless they are from even further south. I do the same thing you do where I mimic accents and I have since I was a child. Children will pick up any accent they are around up until they are about 25. My sister and her four children moved all over the country when the children were little and they would adapt their accents each time. They lived next door to a German family with small children for several years when the youngest children were just learning to talk. The kids had a German accent...lol. Then they up and moved to Dallas, TX. No one could understand a thing they said.
What she said.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:37 PM

631 posts, read 1,886,438 times
I still have my accent and I've been out of KY for a little over six years. Its not as strong as it used to be but its still there and whenever I talk to or visit my family it comes back big time. On the flip side though its funny to hear how my speech has slipped into my hubby's. Cracks me up to hear him say "yall" "fixin" or "yes ma'am".

Old 09-08-2008, 03:54 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_eyedgirl View Post
I still have my accent and I've been out of KY for a little over six years. Its not as strong as it used to be but its still there and whenever I talk to or visit my family it comes back big time. On the flip side though its funny to hear how my speech has slipped into my hubby's. Cracks me up to hear him say "yall" "fixin" or "yes ma'am".
My hubby is the same way but it is even funnier when the person saying it is Irish

Old 09-08-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
My hubby is the same way but it is even funnier when the person saying it is Irish

I bet it is. I love Irish accents so I bet's its even hotter with a little Southern drawl added in .

Old 09-08-2008, 07:05 PM

730 posts, read 1,918,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_eyedgirl View Post
When living in Texas it was amazing how quickly I dropped the "g" from the end of words.

Had to work hard at fixin that ornery little problem

Old 09-10-2008, 03:34 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,117,244 times
I say sandwich fixins when I talk about stuff to fix sandwiches with. It cracks my husband up and he's an old kentucky boy too. Word conservation here. It's quicker, easier, and it gets the job done. Anybody else use this terminology?

Old 09-10-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
I say sandwich fixins when I talk about stuff to fix sandwiches with. It cracks my husband up and he's an old kentucky boy too. Word conservation here. It's quicker, easier, and it gets the job done. Anybody else use this terminology?

Yep, I do and I'll also say a "dressed" burger or sandwich. Not so much up here anymore because you get looked at like you just sprouted an extra head but I tend to slip back into it at home. I think "fixin" and "dressed" are starting to fall out of common useage but I heard it so much growing up with my Mom that it still sticks.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,868 times
I am originally from Paducah, KY. born and raised there, lived there until I was about 19 years old. I then moved to North Eastern, OK. I lived there for 1 year. I have been in Kansas since leaving OK in 2005. After several months of living in Oklahoma, I tried to change my accent, due to being made fun of. People mocked me and tried to put on an accent to mimic mine. My son was only 3 when we left KY, he does not have an accent at all. My friends, co-workers and immediate family can tell when I am tired, because they say that my accent pops out real thick.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:08 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,573,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marandaezell View Post
I am originally from Paducah, KY. born and raised there, lived there until I was about 19 years old. I then moved to North Eastern, OK. I lived there for 1 year. I have been in Kansas since leaving OK in 2005. After several months of living in Oklahoma, I tried to change my accent, due to being made fun of. People mocked me and tried to put on an accent to mimic mine. My son was only 3 when we left KY, he does not have an accent at all. My friends, co-workers and immediate family can tell when I am tired, because they say that my accent pops out real thick.
To me Paducah has a Midwestern type accent. Not very Southern at all....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky