Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 10:57 PM

3 posts, read 7,446 times

Advertisements

I am native to Frankfort, born and raised here. I went to Bowling Green for college and absolutely HATED it. I lived there for 5 years, just graduated and left to come back to Frankfort. The people you have to associate with in Bowling Green are so ignorant. It is also the 'bible belt' so the majority of the town is obsessed with pushing their values on other people and being gay haters. All of their money goes to the church. The majority of the churches down there are as big as super Walmart. The town doesn't let the kids celebrate Halloween anymore and rather they make them go out during the day and go to the church parking lot for 'trunk or treat'. Stupid. I'm sorry but I was miserable in Bowling Green. It is so hard to meet people and when you go out to the nightlife everyone is so wasted that it is hard to meet anyone.
Bowling Green also has NO respect for historic property and has completely abandon/destroyed their downtown. They built a ball park on top of it.
Oh, and every redneck down there thinks they are a dog breeder so the people that actually care about the animals have to work overtime just to try to make a difference. Its so bad that the animal shelter gets about 1000+ animals a month.
I would pick Frankfort any day. People are so nice here and if you get bored you can easily go to Lexington, Louisville, Cincinnatti, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 08:22 PM
HDM

41 posts, read 111,278 times
Bowling Green's "The Medical Center" is a joke. If health care matters to you, keep that in mind. The smaller hospitals seem to do better.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:40 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeFromKY View Post
I am native to Frankfort, born and raised here. I went to Bowling Green for college and absolutely HATED it. I lived there for 5 years, just graduated and left to come back to Frankfort. The people you have to associate with in Bowling Green are so ignorant. It is also the 'bible belt' so the majority of the town is obsessed with pushing their values on other people and being gay haters. All of their money goes to the church. The majority of the churches down there are as big as super Walmart. The town doesn't let the kids celebrate Halloween anymore and rather they make them go out during the day and go to the church parking lot for 'trunk or treat'. Stupid. I'm sorry but I was miserable in Bowling Green. It is so hard to meet people and when you go out to the nightlife everyone is so wasted that it is hard to meet anyone.
Bowling Green also has NO respect for historic property and has completely abandon/destroyed their downtown. They built a ball park on top of it.
Oh, and every redneck down there thinks they are a dog breeder so the people that actually care about the animals have to work overtime just to try to make a difference. Its so bad that the animal shelter gets about 1000+ animals a month.
I would pick Frankfort any day. People are so nice here and if you get bored you can easily go to Lexington, Louisville, Cincinnatti, etc.

Just to correct something in your post, Bowling Green does not make children trick or treat at church parking lots. That is an alternative offered by some of the churches for safety, but children can still go door to door if they want to. Also, although I have my issues with the ballpark, most of what they tore down to build it was slums that were in such ill repair they were an eye sore...not historical sites. And our animal shelter does not get 1000 animals a month and it is a "no kill" shelter so the animals they get are adopted. It is too bad your time in Bowling Green was not a good experience, but the issues you cite are misrepresentation of the city and people.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:33 AM

3 posts, read 7,446 times
Exclamation Correction, you don't know what you are talking about!

I never said that BG makes children trick or treat at churches, but the city has greatly destroyed Halloween.

And your so called 'slums' that BG tore down were still historic homes and could have been restored like some one college street & surrounding WKU. If you go to Frankfort or Lexington you will see good examples of this. In Lexington around Transy there are 'slums' many of which are being bought and restored back into the historic homes they once were.

AND the Bg Shelter gets between 700 to 1000 animals a month. Last month they got over 1600 animals. And they are NOT no kill. They have a adoption center that was originally used to house adoptable animals until they were adopted, but due to the increase of animals they do not have guarantees when it comes to what they put down. I would know since I worked with them through animal rescue. If you live in Bowling Green and you don't know this for yourself then that is just sad. If you don't believe me then call them yourself. And do NOT call me a liar when I lived there and would never say any 'fact' without knowing what I was talking about.

Bowling Green sucks!

Old 06-28-2009, 03:36 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
How did the city destroy Halloween exactly? That seems an odd complaint about a town. There is a lot of historical restoration of homes in Bowling Green also. You should have looked around for the positive a little more and you could have seen it. Bowling Green has it's issues, but it is a very pretty and clean city. I was under the impresseion that the animal shelter was a no kill because of their moving the animals out to other shelters and facilities like Repets. The shelter does an excellent job imo on private donations and a limited budget. I am not calling you a liar, just feel that you seem very bitter and are skewing the facts.

If you hated Bowling Green so much, I am glad you are gone for your sake. I hope you are happier where you are now.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 6,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeFromKY View Post
As a resident of BG, you have many facts wrong. First of all, we are not all ignorant. Certainly there are idiots among us, as there are everywhere. What a broad ignorant generalization!
Is the real issue that you are gay, as you mentioned gay haters? I'm not a gay hater not are the majority of the people I know.
If you wanted to meet people, it sounds like you went to bars. Maybe you should have tried a different place.
What's wrong with being a Christian? I don't push my values off on anyone.
And you DID state the town does not let the kids celebrate halloween--THAT is a bald face lie, as it has been pointed out to you.
Another lie is BG has no respect for historic places. Just the opposite is true. The houses torn down were not exactly "historic" and they were tiny falling down dumps. You have NO idea what you are talking about in saying we abandoned our downtown--did you know it is actually just the opposite? They preserve and promote the downtown area. The ballpark is not on top of it. You truly are ignorant though, so I do question the value of your education at WKU.
The ONLY thing you got right was the ignorant dog breeders, the kill shelter and the high numbers of animals that come through the doors.
We thank you, for returning to your hometown!!!

Old 08-15-2009, 09:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,588 times
welcome to bowling green ,yes they tore down part of the down town area and built a jail and the justice center ,the ball park was built over a part of town that had a lot of shotgun houses that needed to be torn down ,but i think they made a huge mistake when they tore down main street to build the jail and the justice center ,that part of town could have been restored and made beutiful,it breaks my heart to go to places in new york and see it restored . Bowling Green is like anywhere else ,there is good and bad in all towns ,its just knowing the difference. my advice to you would be to move to the tc cherry district. close to small house road .you should have no problems ,that is a good part of town and close to every thing you need.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:51 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
Frankfort is the better choice.

No question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky