Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 04:02 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times

Advertisements

Here are some comments made during the discussion:

Walter Lippman once described journalism as the "last refuge of the vaguely talented." Journalists are rarely experts at anything.

So let me begin with the disclaimer that I have no academic credentials to determine whether or not Kentucky is or is not a Southern state. I'm not a historian, a geographer, a demographer, an anthropologist or a sociologist. So it's a probably a good thing that Jim Klotter asked me go first.

However, journalists tend to become keen observers of people and their culture. I'm a native Kentuckian and have been a journalist here for many years. I spent another two decades as a journalist in Tennessee and Georgia, and during that time traveled there and in many other Southern states covering news, interviewing people and writing stories.

Journalists also are good at asking other people what they think - both experts, and average folks.

A true expert in this matter is my friend John Egerton, the Kentucky-born author who has lived for many years in Nashville, Tennessee. John's many fine books include "The Americanization of Dixie: The Southernization of America" and "Southern Food." In 2000, John delivered a speech on this very topic at Eastern Kentucky University, and he was kind enough to send me a copy of it this week.

I also threw this question up on my blog this week. It proved to be quite a talker. When I checked earlier today, it has been read more than 1,200 times, and more than 40 people had left comments or sent me emails. Many of those responses were long, detailed and passionate.

So, based on this highly unscientific research, let's consider the evidence:

In the early days of pioneer settlement, Kentucky was considered the West. In the early 1800s, a leading newspaper in Lexington was called the Western Monitor. In the first half of the 19th Century, much of Kentucky's economy resembled that of other Southern states. It had lucrative agricultural industries whose success depended on the evil institution of human slavery. In fact, hundreds of slaves were bought and sold on Cheapside, a couple of blocks from where we're sitting.

During the Civil War, Kentucky was a bitterly divided border state – claimed by both sides, occupied by both sides and filled with people loyal to both sides. Central Kentucky in particular had many Southern sympathizers. In the election of 1860, Kentuckian Abraham Lincoln got fewer votes in Lexington than he had inlaws living here. Some of the top Confederates were from Kentucky, including Jefferson Davis and John C. Breckinridge, who also lived a few blocks from here.

Kentucky never officially seceded from the union, although a Confederate government was organized. Kentucky escaped Reconstruction. Yet, after the Civil War was over, many wealthy Kentuckians embraced the South's lost cause with gusto. It probably had something to do with racism – and a lot more to do with their desire to market expensive horses and bourbon whiskey to outsiders with money. When it comes to Southern imagery, the Kentucky Colonel in a white linen suit, sipping mint juleps on the porch of his white-columned mansion, is hard to top.

The heart of this question, though, isn't so much about Kentucky's history as its culture. And this is where the argument gets heated. Is Kentucky Southern or Midwestern?

Officially, the Mason-Dixon line went along the Ohio River, putting Kentucky in the South. But are there other lines of demarcation we should consider? Does Kentucky have a cultural equivalent of Georgia's gnat line? If you haven't heard of the gnat line, it runs east-to-west somewhere vaguely south of Macon. Below the gnat line, the tiny insects will pester you all summer. Above the gnat line, though, you almost never see gnats.

A few of the people who commented on my blog this week had their own imaginary lines in mind. Or they wanted to look at Kentucky as a burgoo of influences. One of my favorite comments came from David Greer of the Kentucky Press Association, who wrote, "We have elements of Southern culture, Midwestern manufacturing and weather from all over creation."

Several readers argued that parts of Louisville and Northern Kentucky were more Midwestern than Southern, perhaps owing to Ohio River commerce or the wave of European immigration to those cities in the late 1800s.

But others fought back. Churchill Downs, Midwestern? Please. And what are the words on that big water tower along I-75 in Northern Kentucky? Florence Y'all. It does not say Florence You Guys.

The overwhelming concensus of my blog's readers was that Kentucky is a Southern state and should be proud of it. Readers cited several pieces of evidence:

Kentucky is latitudinally equivalent to Virginia, although we don't still fight the Civil War on a daily basis, as some Virgnians do.
The University of Kentucky's sports teams play in the Southeastern Conference.
Nothing is more Southern than fried chicken. And no fried chicken is more authentic than Kentucky Fried Chicken. If you don't believe that, just ask anyone in China.
Readers' opinions are backed up in a more scientific poll, which was conducted in 1999 by University of North Carolina sociologist John Shelton Reed. In that poll, 79 percent of Kentuckians thought the community in which they lived was in the South, and 68 percent of Kentuckians considered themselves Southerners.

To me, most of Kentucky seems decidedly Southern, especially the Jackson Purchase. In fact, far western Kentucky seems more like west Tennessee than it does the rest of Kentucky. And west Tennessee seems more like northern Mississippi than it does the rest of Tennessee. My mother is from the Jackson Purchase, and anyone who hears her voice will realize quickly that she is from the South.

John Egerton agrees that Kentucky is certainly a Southern state. Its music is Southern. Its religion is Southern. And, most of all, its food is Southern. And when it comes to Southern food, John is an expert.

In his speech at EKU, John suggested another sort of gnat line for determining this question. He quoted Robert "Old Bob" Taylor, the 19th Century Tennessee politician, as saying that the line between North and South was all about the temperature of fresh bread. Do people eat cold bread, or hot bread? Northerners eat bread cold. Southerners like fresh bread hot.

Kentucky, as we all know, is a land of hot biscuits, cornbread and spoon bread. And at any good Kentucky table, you likely will eat that hot bread with country ham, the best of which is made in Kentucky. To most people from elsewhere - and certainly to Yankees — country ham is too salty for human consumption. To most Southerners, it is simply divine.

Some of the South's best hickory-smoked barbecue can be found in Western Kentucky. My favorite barbecue is made in the Graves County community of Fancy Farm on the first Saturday of each August. Of course, much of the meat for that barbecue is mutton freshly imported from the Midwest, but let's not go there.

Sweet tea may not be the only choice in Kentucky, as it is in much of the Deep South, but it is usually an option. And Kentuckians are a people who believe that any vegetable worth cooking is worth over-cooking.

Of course, the quintessential drink of the Old South would be nothing more than mint-flavored sugar water were it not for bourbon whiskey, virtually all of which is made in Kentucky. (But I will point out that any sensible Kentuckian considers a mint julep a terrible waste of good bourbon.)

So, I conclude emphatically that Kentucky is a Southern state. But it is important to remember that the South is no more homogenous than the people who live here. There is the Deep South, the Appalachian highlands, the low country of South Carolina, the Virginia Piedmont, the bayous of south Louisiana, the scrub forests of north Louisiana and South Florida, which hardly even seems American. They are all Southern. And they are all very different, as are the people who live there.

Yes, clues to Southernness can be found in history and diet. There is further evidence in our music and our religion, and how we relate to family. Regional identity is about the way we talk, and about Southern manners and hospitality.

But more than anything, it has to do with how we see ourselves.

Kentucky is Southern because most people here think they are Southern. Sure, some Northern Kentuckians will identify more with Cincinnati. And some people in Louisville embrace the term Kentuckiana. I have always recoiled at the very sound of Kentuckiana, believing as I do, that God put the Ohio River there for a good reason. <<<<<<I LOVE that part!

I would close by saying that while Kentucky is indeed Southern, it is a state that is hard to categorize or even fully describe, especially for those who love Kentucky. Perhaps the closest description can be found in the famous quote attributed to Daniel Boone, which I'm sure he never really said: "Heaven must be a Kentucky kind of place."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
This debate is easy. kentucky is 80% southern at least. however, there is significant population, especially in Louisville and NKY, that are not really southern at all. I would estimate this population at around 700k people. Louisville has nearly 1 million on the KY side of the metro, and I would say that it is only about 50% southern, maybe 60% Midwestern. Add that to the 200-300k in NKY that are clear Midwesterners, and you get 20% of the state being Midwestern. The rest of KY is NO NO DOUBT VERY SOUTHERN, even Lexington, and especially south of I-64.
I just re-read your post and in Louisville there are according to wikipedia - City 713,460 which is not quite a million Also, isn't 50% Southern and 60%Midwestern 110%?

Old 10-09-2008, 03:47 PM

631 posts, read 1,885,527 times
MissyMom I love that article. Thanks for posting!!!!!

Old 10-10-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_eyedgirl View Post
MissyMom I love that article. Thanks for posting!!!!!
You're welcome hun!

Old 10-10-2008, 06:46 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I just re-read your post and in Louisville there are according to wikipedia - City 713,460 which is not quite a million Also, isn't 50% Southern and 60%Midwestern 110%?
Nope. You are confusing what the city calls itself with what a metro area really is. There is over 700k in the CITY according to city government (ie the population of Jefferson County). The census does not include small cities like prp and gives a population of around 530k. Either way, there are still one million people on the KY side of the Metropolitan Statistical Area. This inlcudes Jefferson, Bullit, Oldham, Shelby, Henry, Nelson, Meade, Trimble, and Spencer counties:

Louisville-Jefferson County, KY-IN Metropolitan Statistical Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With regards to my other statement, it is strictly opinion, I believe Louisville MSA to be at least half Midwestern, if not 60%. The rest is southern and those people would consider themselves southern. This includes many people in SW Louisville and Bullitt, Nelson, Spencer, and Shelby Counties. People inside the Watterson, the NE suburbs/Oldham County/ and much of Southern Indiana suburbs consider themselves Midwestern. There are exceptions here, but that is the general way I see it.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Nope. You are confusing what the city calls itself with what a metro area really is. There is over 700k in the CITY according to city government (ie the population of Jefferson County). The census does not include small cities like prp and gives a population of around 530k. Either way, there are still one million people on the KY side of the Metropolitan Statistical Area. This inlcudes Jefferson, Bullit, Oldham, Shelby, Henry, Nelson, Meade, Trimble, and Spencer counties:

Louisville-Jefferson County, KY-IN Metropolitan Statistical Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With regards to my other statement, it is strictly opinion, I believe Louisville MSA to be at least half Midwestern, if not 60%. The rest is southern and those people would consider themselves southern. This includes many people in SW Louisville and Bullitt, Nelson, Spencer, and Shelby Counties. People inside the Watterson, the NE suburbs/Oldham County/ and much of Southern Indiana suburbs consider themselves Midwestern. There are exceptions here, but that is the general way I see it.
Why are you even mentioning Southern Indiana? You said yourself the Kentucky side. As far as the inside the Watterson and so on, I would like to hear from more of them and see what they think.... as long as they are natives

Old 10-11-2008, 10:57 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,669 times
Ok, there is an easy way to settle the question. You all just come on down to Kentucky, stay for one week, and call every Kentuckian you meet a Yankee. If you are still able to write after the week is up, then report back what your findings were. If you can do that, even I might conceed that we are not Southern.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Ok, there is an easy way to settle the question. You all just come on down to Kentucky, stay for one week, and call every Kentuckian you meet a Yankee. If you are still able to write after the week is up, then report back what your findings were. If you can do that, even I might conceed that we are not Southern.
I love it!

Old 10-12-2008, 07:24 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,669 times
missymomof3,
Glad you liked it, and thanks. But I gotta say I hope nobody's dumb enough to try it, especially in some of the places I've been.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:11 PM

301 posts, read 1,371,475 times
Darn I missed this thread during my absence!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky