Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 06:40 AM

32 posts, read 139,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaQuick View Post
I'm sorry, is there really propaganda out there that says sitting in a smoky bar for an hour once a week will give you cancer? does it come from the same people who say that smoking four cigarettes while out on Saturday will kill you just as quickly as someone who smokes 3 packs a day?
Putting the health risk factor aside for a minute, there are other reasons to object to public smoking. When I visited friends in Louisville a while back, I really felt sick sitting in the smoky bar. It's was hard for me to fully enjoy myself after a while with all the fumes swirling around me. It made me feel nauseated. The smell got into my hair, my clothes, it was horrible. I'm happy to learn about the ban going into place this summer since we'll be relocating there soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 06:46 AM

49 posts, read 376,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon girl View Post
Putting the health risk factor aside for a minute, there are other reasons to object to public smoking. When I visited friends in Louisville a while back, I really felt sick sitting in the smoky bar. It's was hard for me to fully enjoy myself after a while with all the fumes swirling around me. It made me feel nauseated. The smell got into my hair, my clothes, it was horrible. I'm happy to learn about the ban going into place this summer since we'll be relocating there soon.
Me, too, cinnamon girl!! I hate the smoke swirling around me!! It makes my eyes red and it makes me cough all the time! It gets in my hair and clothes and then it is embedded in my pillow at night and that is all I smell! YUK!!

Old 06-02-2007, 08:20 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,427,295 times
Do NOT set in a smoke filled bar, problem solved. No body forced you to go there or stay there.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Do NOT set in a smoke filled bar, problem solved. No body forced you to go there or stay there.
True, but I could counter with step outside to smoke, problem solved. We could go 'round and 'round on this, so perhaps we could agree to disagree. This is one of those issues where people are rarely swayed to the other side.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:30 PM

216 posts, read 1,185,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacdo View Post
This smoking thing, in my opinion, is one of the biggest drawbacks to Kentucky. Where else can you not locally buy a bottle of red wine (that has many proven health benefits) yet find deadly cigarettes being celebrated as part of the American way? It makes no sense. When I was a smoker, I generally didn't light up indoors, and especially not in restaurants. I can't imagine trying to shop in a flea market where you're having to hold your breath to keep from taking in all the smoke. Plus the odor and the tar gets into all the merchandise. That's just a really bad business decision not to mention a public health nuisance. Kentucky ranks number one in the nation for smokers per capita so don't expect the problem to go away any time soon. As a lot of the smokers say, if you don't like it, you can move.
Maybe someone can help me out or add to this. I am so curious about the fact that KY has such a strong baptist presence, especially in rural communities, and yet smoking is so prevalent there. Please forgive me if I am wrong, but I thought that those who are with particular relgious groups avoid smoking and drinking. Who are the smokers in those "dry" rural communities?

Old 06-02-2007, 01:19 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Louisville's full smoking ban takes affect the end of this month, so it will no longer be a problem

Old 06-02-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
True, but I could counter with step outside to smoke, problem solved. We could go 'round and 'round on this, so perhaps we could agree to disagree. This is one of those issues where people are rarely swayed to the other side.
True or one could counter there can be bars that allow smoking, and bars that don't. That way both sides are happy. I mean it's not like tobacco is a major cash crop here in Kentucky that has supported 1000's of families across the state ...

Old 06-02-2007, 03:19 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
True or one could counter there can be bars that allow smoking, and bars that don't. That way both sides are happy. I mean it's not like tobacco is a major cash crop here in Kentucky that has supported 1000's of families across the state ...
Davart, with all the farmer buy out's, how important is tobacco to the state in 2007? I would be interested in seeing some data, but I can't imagine it being as huge as it was even 20 years ago.....also, KY does not have any of the major tobacco companies with corporate headquarters here as Brown&Williamson left Louisville.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Davart, with all the farmer buy out's, how important is tobacco to the state in 2007? I would be interested in seeing some data, but I can't imagine it being as huge as it was even 20 years ago.....also, KY does not have any of the major tobacco companies with corporate headquarters here as Brown&Williamson left Louisville.
Stx, I understand that but the tobacco bases are still active and the farmers that didn't take buy outs are still growing it. Across the road from my farm is nearly a 100 acres of tobacco and that is one of many fields in the area from just a few acres to huge crops. Both black and burley are still big cash crops around here that provide a lot of job and equally a lot of money into the area.

I understand that some folks don't like smoking, that's fine but some of these chest thumping anti everything they don't like needs to go. Most of their arguments are based on quack data that is not supported with real science. Doubt that pick up a copy of 'Penn and Tellers BS', whom neither one of them smoke but prove that the argument of second hand smoke wages is bunk.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
That's actually a pretty good idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky