Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 05:29 AM

7 posts, read 17,885 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am an international student. I applied to these schools and already got into some of them. I have no major preference right now and I have researched this schools and I am finding it difficult to choose one.
Can anybody who attends this schools, knows them, or has any kind of experience with them tell me about them and what is their opinion?
I live really far away from all of them so it will be far to visit them.
Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 10:03 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,805,418 times
I know nothing of the others but I am very familiar with Centre. I did not attend Centre, but my wife did and I've been there many times and I know countless alumni and professors. Centre is a very small, beautiful campus in the middle of KY in a very pretty, quiet town of Danville. It is in a "moist" county, meaning only restaurants can serve alcohol. You have to drive 20 minutes to buy alcohol from the store. All of your social life will revolve around campus, there is basically nothing for a college student to do other than drive to Lexington (45 minutes). But this didn't seem to stop any of the people that I know from having a good time. That said, the professors are amazing. There is a bond between the students and professors that I have never seen. My wife can literally, to this day 10+ years later, call any one of her professors or college administrators and ask for a reference or any kind of favor and they will remember her and they will bend over backwards to help. They treat their students like family. There is a huge emphasis on learning, it isn't a research university, so the professors that are there love to teach and mentor students. I joke with my wife that it is like a cult. Her and all of her friends have a deep love for that little college. Typically, it ranks #1 in the country for percentage of alumni that donate to the college. That says a lot.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:26 AM

please help me to choose, I am really confused now

Old 04-10-2009, 08:12 PM

141 posts, read 752,540 times
St. John's University is by far the best pick. A Classic liberal arts curriculum at its finest.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:27 AM

really? But I have heard that the St John's University has a very strong catholic affiation. I am not that religious so is it will suitable for me?

Old 04-11-2009, 08:27 AM

409 posts, read 873,174 times
Centre College above all else. I attended Centre, as did My grandfather, father, aunt, brother, sister and sister in law, so I am familiar with the college.

It is head and shoulders above most other colleges in the United States. The academic quality is such that I would put it up against any other college/university in the country.

The best way to describe Centre is tell this story.

About 10 years ago I was in a job interview (For a attorney position in government). The interviewer noted I had gone to Centre (now he has no connection to Centre I know of) and was so impressed he more or less offered me the job on the spot.

You get that type of reaction quite a bit.

Message me and I'll be happy to help out any way I can.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:12 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,805,860 times
All four are very outstanding colleges and I congratuate you on your acceptance to all of them!

Centre College has many things going for it--very small student-professor ratios (possibly the lowest of the four,) high educational quality, a very clean and safe campus, and an almost intimately-small student body that makes it rather easy to meet people. The downside? The closest metro area is Lexington, 35 miles NE, which is really a drip in the bucket compared to even farther-away Louisville or Cincinnati. Danville is one of Kentucky's premier small towns, IMO, but it is a small town and you might be going to Walmart and Applebee's for excitement on Friday nights (unless you have a fake ID...hehe.)

Trinity is the highest rated liberal arts university in the entire Southwest (and that includes California.) To boot, San Antonio is truly a gorgeous city with a tremendous amount of architectural and Hispanic-originated history (like the Mission Trail,) the Riverwalk, an easily accessible airport, and close proximity to that really cool city called Austin.

St. John's: in New York, the Capital of the World, and I'd love to live there someday. I've met my share of non-religious people that attended Catholic institutions, so I wouldn't fret too much.

So, here are my lists for you, all in order from top to bottom choice. If you're wanting to "get away from it all," enjoy some serenity and live in a totally safe place, Centre is #1, Austin a close #2, and the others while safe are distant outliers.

If you want to be "close to the action," then (1) St. John's, (2) Trinity, then distantly (3) Austin and (4) Centre.

If you want to be close to some of the most beautiful women the world over, then (1) Trinity, (2) Austin, (3) Centre, (4) SJU. (Kentucky thinks very highly of their women, and so do their women. Texas women, I've heard, are beautiful but w/o the attitude.)

If you want overall weight and respect with your undergraduate degree, that's a tough one. Like I said, all choices are outstanding. I'd probably say (1) Trinity, (2) St. John's, (3) Centre, (4) Austin. Centre is THE best postsecondary institution, public or private, in all of Kentucky, but I'm really not so sure that it's that well-known on a regional level except in Kentucky (unless you're talking D.C. Federal jobs.)

Old 04-11-2009, 04:38 PM

141 posts, read 752,540 times
Religiously affiliated colleges are just as liberal as secular colleges in the US. I hate it, but that's how it is. You'll fit right in at a "Catholic" university.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,680 times
I am currently a Centre Student. It has been undoubtedly the greatest decision of my life. If you want a true college experience (one where all the students live on campus, a close-knit community, and truly dedicated professors) than Centre is the obvious choice. As far as academics, I would put us up there with the likes of not only St Johns and Trinity, but Harvard, Yale, Northwestern, etc... it simply doesn't not have the national clout that some of these institutions bring... The small classrooms allow you to develop more personable skills which will help in the real world. I wish you luck my friend and hope to see you in Danville next year.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:51 AM

Sorry, I have already made my dicision to trinity. I know centre is great but it is also in the middle of nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
View detailed profiles of: