Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 08:13 AM

270 posts, read 935,523 times

Advertisements

For someone that thinks "city population means squat", those population statistics sure do get thrown around a lot.

For heaven's sake, I think we're ALL smart enough to know that some folks will use whatever bit of data or statistic best suits their argument at the time. And who ever said that MSAs are generally used to compare cities??

When it comes right down to it, choosing where to live is all a matter of opinion and personal preference. I've lived in both Louisville and Lexington, and I prefer the latter. For someone who has only lived in one of the two cities, but never the other, it seems pretty likely they will have a strong preference for the city with which they have the most familiarity.

Fact is, they're both good places to live. It just depends on what's important to you.

By the way, the people in Lexington "do get" that we're not the same size or population as Louisville. But then again, that's just a meaningless number worth squat, right?

Last edited by lexingtony; 06-09-2009 at 08:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 11:02 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,762,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Wow, I think some people really have issues with Lexington for some reason. I think that Lexington is a nicer, cleaner, better planned city. I like that the urban growth boundary exists. You can be surrounded by horse farms and just up the road you're in a subdivision with 2,000 homes. Lexington has much less sprawl than Louisville due to the urban growth boundary.
Yeah I do agree Lexington has better planning. Louisville has some UGLYYYY sprawling highways. Preston and Dixie anyone? I am happy to be away from that but I do miss the Highlands. Is Lexington nicer and "cleaner" than Louisville? Not in my opinion. What makes Lexington so clean? Louisville has one of the cleanest cores I have ever seen in a mid major city. You rarely seen trash thrown about, yards are mostly well kept, and Operation Brightside keeps waste baskets everywhere. Or, are you referring to the fact that Louisville has more minorities and is more urban? I have found in the past that when people say one city is cleaner than another, they are more likely referring to the latter.

Last edited by Peter1948; 06-09-2009 at 11:11 AM..

Old 06-09-2009, 11:08 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,762,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtony View Post
For someone that thinks "city population means squat", those population statistics sure do get thrown around a lot.

For heaven's sake, I think we're ALL smart enough to know that some folks will use whatever bit of data or statistic best suits their argument at the time. And who ever said that MSAs are generally used to compare cities??

When it comes right down to it, choosing where to live is all a matter of opinion and personal preference. I've lived in both Louisville and Lexington, and I prefer the latter. For someone who has only lived in one of the two cities, but never the other, it seems pretty likely they will have a strong preference for the city with which they have the most familiarity.

Fact is, they're both good places to live. It just depends on what's important to you.

By the way, the people in Lexington "do get" that we're not the same size or population as Louisville. But then again, that's just a meaningless number worth squat, right?
Tony, I was referring more to "city" population numbers. Since Louisville merged, it is technically larger than Atlanta. That is nothing more than laughable if you have lived in both cities as I have. That is why you must use metro area populations to compare cities. It includes a core county (fayette or jefferson for example), and those suburbs which have a certain percentage of people who commute to the core county for daily jobs. I agree Lexington and Louisville are both fine cities in their respective tiers, but I do not believe they share much in common besides their location in KY and a basketball rivalry which is way overplayed Since leaving the state I do not miss the UK UL banter at all!

Of course, there is much more to a place than population, but in general, it is an easy way to compare a city's amenites. With few exceptions, the larger the city, the more amenities. I think we can agree on that.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:16 AM

5,478 posts, read 12,255,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
The biggest thing I hate about Lexington is the amount of traffic and the horrible road system they have compared to Louisville. It seems when I drive down Nicholasville Rd. I get stopped at every light, have they heard of synchronizing? But Lexington is a nice small sized city and they do have a nice regional mall. The thing is you are going to have to give something up no matter what city you decide to live in. Each one has things the other doesn't.
I am going to second this post. For the amount of people in Lexington compared to Louisville, it's much easier to get around Louisville rather than Lexington. The road system and gridlock in Lexington for its size seems unjustified. They were not very forward thinking in planning. Yes, it's not as urban or dense, but I find this is a negative for Lex. I am partial to Louisville, though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:49 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,578,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
I have found in the past that when people say one city is cleaner than another, they are more likely referring to the latter.
Oh dear, I'm referring to cleanliness. I really don't think I need to define what clean means. That has nothing to do with race.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:07 PM

How does saying one place is cleaner than another have any sort of implication about its minority residents? She said "cleanliness" not "racial cleansing" for pete's sake.

I'm pretty sure InLondon was referring to the cleanliness of the public spaces, roads, etc. And I second her opinion. Lexington's cleanliness is one of the things I most appreciate about living here.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:14 PM

728 posts, read 1,677,886 times
My preference: Louisville, and it ain't even close after that. If you like chain restaurants, outdoor malls (Hamburg Pavilion), cookie cutter neighborhoods then Lexington is perfect. For all the hype I'm reading about the cleanliness of Lex, nobody has mentioned the Park system. Lexington's park system is a joke, maybe outside of Jacobson. Masterson Station is a waste of property, just enormous reclaimed farm land. L'ville's MetroParks is ten times better. For me, Louisville's cool urban neighborhoods,restaurants,arts scene,park system, museums etc, make it a more attractive option. Ok, as for Lexington: a pretty neat downtown area (would even more so if they could attract shopping to the old Festival Market building),the neighborhoods around the UK campus,Joseph Beth Bookstore (probably the best bookstore in KY), close proximity to the Red River Gorge and the Daniel Boone NF.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
How does saying one place is cleaner than another have any sort of implication about its minority residents? She said "cleanliness" not "racial cleansing" for pete's sake.

I'm pretty sure InLondon was referring to the cleanliness of the public spaces, roads, etc. And I second her opinion. Lexington's cleanliness is one of the things I most appreciate about living here.
I am a male. It's ok...

Old 06-10-2009, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
I am a male. It's ok...
Whoops....sorry!! Don't know why I made that assumption???

Old 06-10-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Whoops....sorry!! Don't know why I made that assumption???
Uh oh, is my writing feminine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky