Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 07:42 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
There is crime in the rural areas - some more than others. Radcliff's overall crime for the last listed year (2009) is over the national average by far. They have a lot of assaults and thefts and even one murder - it isn't that large of a town. Do look up crime statistics on City-Data. Small towns often have drug problems - namely meth labs.

Here is a list (many in rural areas) of meth labs that were discovered in KY last year. Keep in mind that these are only the ones discovered.

Kentucky State Police: Methamphetmaine Lab List (http://kentuckystatepolice.org/meth_labs.htm - broken link)

Do google searches for any area you are considering - i.e, Radcliff, KY Crime, etc.

The answer on this forum when someone asks about crime is almost always "there isn't any crime." Not quite sure why that is since you can look up the data and see that there is crime.
To be honest Radcliff can't count as rural. It's more of a smaller edition of Hampton, VA, a urban surburb that is right outside a military base. Radcliff is more or less a typical post town, check cashing/rent-to-own places, older housing near the entry gates of Ft. Knox. Dangerous as West End Louisville or even Okolona? No. Higher crime than most of rural KY, yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 08:20 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
There is crime in the rural areas - some more than others. Radcliff's overall crime for the last listed year (2009) is over the national average by far. They have a lot of assaults and thefts and even one murder - it isn't that large of a town. Do look up crime statistics on City-Data. Small towns often have drug problems - namely meth labs.

Here is a list (many in rural areas) of meth labs that were discovered in KY last year. Keep in mind that these are only the ones discovered.

Kentucky State Police: Methamphetmaine Lab List (http://kentuckystatepolice.org/meth_labs.htm - broken link)

Do google searches for any area you are considering - i.e, Radcliff, KY Crime, etc.

The answer on this forum when someone asks about crime is almost always "there isn't any crime." Not quite sure why that is since you can look up the data and see that there is crime.
Oh dear, I'm sorry but if you're afraid of a small town in Kentucky, you have problems.....

Old 07-07-2011, 08:27 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
The original OP's question was targeted towards only the Ft Knox area 4 years ago, but I'll take a stab at answering the literal question itself (I'm bored this morning)

In terms of car jackings, robberies, etc, all of rural KY is very safe. In terms of domestic homicides and property theft is considerable higher in and near the Appalachian Plateau. I have one family member that lives off a busy state highway in South Central KY who has had two 4 wheeler trailers stolen from next to their house. Both were later found in the yard of drug addicts w/ lengthy criminal records

Anyway, I'd say the western half of KY has the safest countryside

Old 07-07-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The original OP's question was targeted towards only the Ft Knox area 4 years ago, but I'll take a stab at answering the literal question itself (I'm bored this morning)

In terms of car jackings, robberies, etc, all of rural KY is very safe. In terms of domestic homicides and property theft is considerable higher in and near the Appalachian Plateau. I have one family member that lives off a busy state highway in South Central KY who has had two 4 wheeler trailers stolen from next to their house. Both were later found in the yard of drug addicts w/ lengthy criminal records

You do realize, that can happen anywhere right? That doesn't mean the crime rate is high because that one incident...

Why you think Eastern KY has crime problems is beyond me. I wouldn't worry about it in rural KY. And no Western KY is not any safer, whatever....

Old 07-07-2011, 09:09 AM

Old 07-07-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Repeat and repeat...

You've told us this story before I do believe, didn't this supposedly happen in "Eastern" Pulaski County?? I happen to know people in that area of Pulaski County (Shopville) and they have never complained about anything and they've lived there all their life.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:38 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Oh dear, I'm sorry but if you're afraid of a small town in Kentucky, you have problems.....
Where did you get the idea I was afraid - I was simply stating a fact - there is crime in almost any town, small or large. Some small towns in Kentucky have crime that is higher than average for the entire U.S. These are statistics that are gathered by the government from police departments - this has absolutely nothing to do with me being afraid - sorry you felt that you had to turn this into a personal attack - I believe that is against the rules here.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:27 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
The InLondon sarcasm machine is in effect again.

Computer Algorithm Can Recognize Sarcasm (Which Is Just Soooo Cool) | Popular Science
Source of pic: the above article.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:27 AM

I may disagree with InLondon time to time but I have no problem with them at all. We need to lighten on getting personal (as the above post is)

Old 07-08-2011, 07:39 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
Quote:
I may disagree with InLondon time to time but I have no problem with them at all. We need to lighten on getting personal (as the above post is)
Agreed.

+1

And my post was just my funny, smart ***** albeit light-hearted way to tone down the rhetoric. I don't want this to become another one of the NoVA, Florida, or, dare I say, California or Texas fora.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky