Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 07:25 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,806,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokygirl View Post
Okay, assuming your quotes are true, I gather that Obama is not in favor of concealed carry weapons and thinks the assault weapon ban should be reinstated. I can see where he wants Full Metal Jacket ammo classified as armor-piercing, and wants people using handguns to register them and also be trained to use them. These statements don't mean Obama wants to take "the guns out of Kentucky".

The only part of your post that comes close to reinforcing your statement is one that is not a direct quote. Where is the full text of this particular statement so that I can make sure I read it in context and see what facts are used to back it up: "[Obama] backed federal legislation that would ban citizens from carrying weapons except for law enforcement..."

Furthermore, I agree with Obama. I think people should register handguns and be trained to use them. And who freaking needs assault weapons or full metal jacket ammo? Get real. My husband has been an avid hunter all his life (half a decade now) and agrees that these weapons are ridiculous.
^^^This is exactly how I feel about gun control. Hunting rifles and shotguns are completely legitimate sporting weapons. I grew up hunting, doing target shooting and shooting clay pigeons. Handguns and concealed carry...yeah I want the Dirty Harry wannabe carrying a Glock with a 19 round clip to be fully checked out and trained, call me crazy. Assault weapons? Well, let me say I think those guys are compensating for their lack of prowess in other areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 07:54 PM

5 posts, read 9,013 times
uhmm really? look around, i have seen a number of law abiding citizens that have gotten drunk, got mad at there wifes, and shot them. also i think if there was more gun control, that would be less suicides, i know there is still OD, Knifes, and buildings to jump off of, but there is a higher chance of survival then being shot.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:59 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,089,782 times
I'm sorry but there are many ways to kill someone in anger, are we going to ban knives, anything blunt, etc? We will have to agree to disagree, you will never convince the other side of the other's views.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:08 PM

237 posts, read 849,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspalding9494 View Post
uhmm really? look around, i have seen a number of law abiding citizens that have gotten drunk, got mad at there wifes, and shot them. also i think if there was more gun control, that would be less suicides, i know there is still OD, Knifes, and buildings to jump off of, but there is a higher chance of survival then being shot.
I find it hard to believe that you are a college student given your spelling and grammatical errors. And, following your reasoning as well as I can, I think alcohol is more of a problem than guns. But that is just my uneducated, conservative viewpoint. Please continue to post your well informed, worldly viewpoints.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:26 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,089,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger57 View Post
I find it hard to believe that you are a college student given your spelling and grammatical errors. And, following your reasoning as well as I can, I think alcohol is more of a problem than guns. But that is just my uneducated, conservative viewpoint. Please continue to post your well informed, worldly viewpoints.
Good Post Gene!

Old 09-21-2009, 08:37 PM

actually, I am a college student at New York University, and have a I 3.6 GPA, and i am sorry if I don't use the best grammar on the internet, but I do on my assignments. alcohol is a problem, I think that is something both conservatives and liberals can agree on, all I am saying is that guns in the house can lead to violence, it is a similar situation with alcohol, if there is not a six-pack of Heineken in your refrigerator your not going to get drunk. If there is not a shotgun in your house, your not going to use it. And i didn't say that conservatives are uneducated, i am just saying that liberals are usually more educated. I just disagree with everything that MOST(not all) Conservatives are(racist, homophobic, ignorant)

Old 09-21-2009, 09:23 PM

58 posts, read 140,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
^^^Assault weapons? Well, let me say I think those guys are compensating for their lack of prowess in other areas.
When I think of the people I know who enjoy using assault weapons, I have to say you're right about that! Made me laugh out loud. I'll have to pass that one along to the hubby.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I'm sorry but there are many ways to kill someone in anger, are we going to ban knives, anything blunt, etc? We will have to agree to disagree, you will never convince the other side of the other's views.
Missymom - I think you are confusing the issue, as many here tend to do. No one is talking about banning guns as a whole. We are merely discussing the issue of gun control. There is no reason for people to use assault weapons or full metal jacket ammo. What is wrong with registering a handgun and learning how to use it properly? Of course we want to keep our guns, but let's have some sense about it. No one is taking away our guns.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspalding9494 View Post
actually, I am a college student at New York University, and have a I 3.6 GPA, and i am sorry if I don't use the best grammar on the internet, but I do on my assignments. alcohol is a problem, I think that is something both conservatives and liberals can agree on, all I am saying is that guns in the house can lead to violence, it is a similar situation with alcohol, if there is not a six-pack of Heineken in your refrigerator your not going to get drunk. If there is not a shotgun in your house, your not going to use it. And i didn't say that conservatives are uneducated, i am just saying that liberals are usually more educated. I just disagree with everything that MOST(not all) Conservatives are(racist, homophobic, ignorant)
Just ignore Digger57. Your post has good points that are well taken.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:47 PM

thank you, nokygirl, i don't believe in taking away all guns either, i just believe there should be more limitations, and i do believe that guns contribute to violence, and so much for "southern hospitality" I just recived a message that said "stay in NYC, we dont need you here" and that was only one, while there is some unfriendly New Yorkers, most are a lot more friendly the closed minded kentuckians
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky