Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 06:23 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,888,347 times

Advertisements

We just got back into Lexington after spending the entire day in Louisville and Oldham Cty. As I predicted, I liked Louisville and my husband did not. What we both agreed on was that we loved the area around Cherokee Park and Seneca Park. We also like the Highlands. Unfortunately, he was turned off by the downtown area of Louisville, which seemed run down in many parts. We drove to the West side, and he found it depressing. The eastern part of the city was a different world, but he was turned off from what he saw on the west side. I kind of liked the business district, and I liked the suburbs on the east but he didn't. We then went to Prospect which I loved. We drove around Hunting Creek. He thought it was too sterile. I absolutely loved the Summit shopping area. He thought the area was too Long Islandish. We then went to Goshen, and he didn't like that either. One subdivision after another. Finally, I thought he would like the small town flavor of La Grange. He thought it was boring. So much for that.

Now for Lexington, we drove through Versailles this morning on route to Louisville, and he thought it was too small town for him. We both agree that Lexington reminds us of Madison, WI, which we loved but thought would be too cold int the winters. So it seems that we will need to research Lexington more carefully tomorrow. So far we are both in love with Tahoma Terrace. Tomorrow we will check out Stonewall and the western side like Harrod Hills. I already am guessing that he will not like Harrod Hills. He dislikes anything that seems too development-ish. If you can suggest other neighborhoods like Tahoma Terrace with housing prices under $300k I would appreciate it. I know he did not like the neighborhoods where the houses were too close together. Some of Glendover was like that. I'm guessing we will like Stonewall.
What I have learned from this trip is that I am more flexible than he is. I could have been happy in a place like Prospect, which I thought was really lovely. More to come after tomorrow's sightseeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 06:25 PM

If you want great Japanese food, we had sushi two nights in a row at a place called Miyako on Richmond Rd near New Circle. As good as anything in Manhattan. Also, the library in Lexington is phenomenal. The fountains outside are great for children, but make sure you bring a change of clothing. Our daughter practically took a bath in the fountain.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:56 PM

283 posts, read 1,028,713 times
Hi gimme it, thanks for the update, I have been wondering how you are doing! Your husband might actually like Harrods Hill, it's an older development with houses spaced further apart than some others. The houses very close together is what turned me off of the Beaumont and Palomar areas. Also very sterile looking (to use your husband's word). But Harrod's Hill is a bit older and more spacious (there are some older and newer parts).

Sorry he didn't like Louisville. I know you said you didn't think he would like it from the beginning. We also thought Versailles was small, maybe too small, and we're back into considering Lexington as far as housebuying.

What did you think of the drive from Versailles to Lexington? Very beautiful...

Old 05-13-2007, 08:22 PM

688 posts, read 3,045,102 times
Have you looked at the Colony off of Versailles Rd? The elementary school is Lane Allen, but middle is Beaumont and high school is Dunbar. It is an older area of nicer, brick homes on large lots with lots of trees. A little different than Tahoma, but still a bit more unique setting. Right now there is one home listed there at 295,000 that needs some updating. I do think that is a little below the average home cost there. There are one or two streets that are newer, without as much charm, and they back up to New Circle Rd so are probably much noisier.

I also really like Greenbrier Estates off of Winchester Rd. The schools are NOT good, so most people utilize private schools, but it is also a more unique setting with large lots and a country estate feel, yet just minutes from Hamburg, I-75, etc. It reminds me somewhat of Ten Broeck in Louisville, with a similar atmosphere and reputation.

Last edited by nlschr0; 05-13-2007 at 08:33 PM..

Old 05-13-2007, 09:35 PM

7,078 posts, read 16,806,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
We just got back into Lexington after spending the entire day in Louisville and Oldham Cty. As I predicted, I liked Louisville and my husband did not. What we both agreed on was that we loved the area around Cherokee Park and Seneca Park. We also like the Highlands. Unfortunately, he was turned off by the downtown area of Louisville, which seemed run down in many parts. We drove to the West side, and he found it depressing. The eastern part of the city was a different world, but he was turned off from what he saw on the west side. I kind of liked the business district, and I liked the suburbs on the east but he didn't. We then went to Prospect which I loved. We drove around Hunting Creek. He thought it was too sterile. I absolutely loved the Summit shopping area. He thought the area was too Long Islandish. We then went to Goshen, and he didn't like that either. One subdivision after another. Finally, I thought he would like the small town flavor of La Grange. He thought it was boring. So much for that.

Now for Lexington, we drove through Versailles this morning on route to Louisville, and he thought it was too small town for him. We both agree that Lexington reminds us of Madison, WI, which we loved but thought would be too cold int the winters. So it seems that we will need to research Lexington more carefully tomorrow. So far we are both in love with Tahoma Terrace. Tomorrow we will check out Stonewall and the western side like Harrod Hills. I already am guessing that he will not like Harrod Hills. He dislikes anything that seems too development-ish. If you can suggest other neighborhoods like Tahoma Terrace with housing prices under $300k I would appreciate it. I know he did not like the neighborhoods where the houses were too close together. Some of Glendover was like that. I'm guessing we will like Stonewall.
What I have learned from this trip is that I am more flexible than he is. I could have been happy in a place like Prospect, which I thought was really lovely. More to come after tomorrow's sightseeing.

Hmmm, sad to see your husband judge such a large city by the "hood." Even thoughthe west end is largely the ghetto, believe it or not I could show you some nice areas even in the west end. Its impossible to judge such a large city based on driving around a few streets. I believe the city has something like 5,000 miles of roads! FYI, Lexington also has a decent sized ghetto, although obviously not as big as Louisville as it is a smaller town. Too bad you didn't get to see more of the region...New Albany and Jeffersonville, Floyds Knobs, Jtown, the Southern Parkway corridor, Germantown, Old Louisville. Sounds like you didn't get to see the charming shops and antique stores on historic Frankfort Ave either...did you even get to eat on Bardstown Road?

Just out of curiosity, what streets in downtown Louisville did he think looked run down? I can't think of one that appears that way in the CBD, but I am always interested in visitor's impressions. Is he aware of the 2 billion in construction over the next 4 years for downtown? Did you get to see the historic cast iron district, reminiscent of SoHo in Manhattan? How about the art galleries, condos and eateries of east market? 4th street? UofL's campus?

As an FYI, the area west of 9th street is NOT considered downtown. While in Lexington, consider driving north of downtown and you will see a similar (albeit smaller) ghetto. Many Louisvillians have never seen this side of the city, and they have never even driven there (largely there is no reason to)! Unfortunately, every city has poor people, and no place is utopia. Best of luck in your search and hopefully you have found Ky friendly!

Old 05-14-2007, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
Have you looked at the Colony off of Versailles Rd? The elementary school is Lane Allen, but middle is Beaumont and high school is Dunbar. It is an older area of nicer, brick homes on large lots with lots of trees. A little different than Tahoma, but still a bit more unique setting. Right now there is one home listed there at 295,000 that needs some updating. I do think that is a little below the average home cost there. There are one or two streets that are newer, without as much charm, and they back up to New Circle Rd so are probably much noisier.

I also really like Greenbrier Estates off of Winchester Rd. The schools are NOT good, so most people utilize private schools, but it is also a more unique setting with large lots and a country estate feel, yet just minutes from Hamburg, I-75, etc. It reminds me somewhat of Ten Broeck in Louisville, with a similar atmosphere and reputation.
nlschr0 -- I've looked at The Colony quite a bit and really like that subdivision. The thing I keep coming back to is just what you said "The elementary school is Lane Allen, BUT... (the middle school and high school are exactly what we want, but Lane Allen? Doesn't look good on paper and I can't find anyone who can recommend it, so...)

Also, when we were in Lexington we drove down Parker's Mill Road and there are a couple of nice houses for sale on that road. What do you think of that area? It's very close for commuting, and my husband liked the area but I was worried that maybe the street would be kind of busy. Any thoughts? (Also, it's the same three schools as the Colony). But he really likes that area so we're looking at it.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:07 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,802,585 times
Wow. Why in the world did you guys drive through the worst area of Jefferson County, especially since you had no intention of living anywhere near there? That's like concentrating on the mole on Cindy Crawford's lip instead of her other attributes. There's not a town on earth that could stand that kind of scrutiny.

It sounds like he was determined to eliminate Louisville and went looking for a reason. So he doesn't like a small town, he doesn't like a rural area and he doesn't like a larger city. I'm out of ideas!

Old 05-14-2007, 08:22 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,572,940 times
Gimmee, I am so sorry that your husband is having trouble deciding where to live. We all wish we lived in a perfect house,in a perfect neighborhood, in a perfect city in a perfect state, but that perfect utopia only exists in fairy tales. We usually have to settle where it best suits our needs and expectations. Here's wishing you all the best in your search

Old 05-14-2007, 12:55 PM

Default Oops! I seem to have offended some of you from Louisville.

It wasn't my intention. We saw a lot of Louisville. The good and the bad, as anyone should do if they are interested in an area. We spent more time in Lexington today, and my husband and I both love Stonewall and Shadeland. We also love Tahoma Terrace, Ashland Park and Chevy Chase, but the houses we could afford there would be too small ( I think). There are parts of Glendover that we really liked too, today. However, it seems that Stonewall and Shadeland are exactly what we were looking for. We never got around to the Colony area, but we did check out Harrods Hill, which we both thought was nice. And then we saw Stonewall and Shadeland. These neighborhoods felt "like home" or how we would imagine it to be.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
It wasn't my intention. We saw a lot of Louisville. The good and the bad, as anyone should do if they are interested in an area. We spent more time in Lexington today, and my husband and I both love Stonewall and Shadeland. We also love Tahoma Terrace, Ashland Park and Chevy Chase, but the houses we could afford there would be too small ( I think). There are parts of Glendover that we really liked too, today. However, it seems that Stonewall and Shadeland are exactly what we were looking for. We never got around to the Colony area, but we did check out Harrods Hill, which we both thought was nice. And then we saw Stonewall and Shadeland. These neighborhoods felt "like home" or how we would imagine it to be.
Hi gimme it, and thanks for the update today! I'm going to have to check out Stonewall and Shadeland when we go back.

I don't personally think you said anything that should have upset anyone. I didn't understand a couple of the responses you got. I thought your post was clear that you looked at more than just one small area of Louisville. I'm not sure why there seems to be so much defensiveness about a town. None of us know your husband or why he would or would not like or not like particular areas. Why anyone else would care that he didn't like Louisville or Versailles is beyond me. I'm sure your family will find just the right place for you.

In any event, I don't really understand it but there seems to be a lot of disguised (or not so well disguised?) hostility between Lexington and Louisville. Is this some kind of natural rivalry? I'm just curious. It's understandable that people would like their home area/city but it seems to go beyond that, unless I'm sensing something wrong. They are just "places", and many people are going to love them and others will hate them. That's the way it is everywhere....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky