Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 09:23 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post
It's not just popular, it's a pathetic disgusting obsession. Almost everyone here in Lexington dresses up in blue from head to toe during game days. They know more about The Cats than they know about who they voted for, God or how to operate an automobile. Nobody really has much to say in this town, other than "Go Cats" "Y'all seen that move so-and-so did last minute?" "Calipari really done come through for The Cats!" It makes me sick... I long for real conversation.
It's called 'tunnel vision' or 'one track mind'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 09:50 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Basketball is very big in KY. UK is the most followed, UL second. However, WKU has had a solid program through the years as well. Surprisingly WKU is 14th on the list of all time wins in DI, actually higher than UL. KY Wesleyan has been a powerhouse in DII forever. NKU has had a solid DII program in recent years as well. In other words, college basketball is big in KY, even beyond UK and UL.

Thank you for pointing that out about WKU which is the team I root for first. They should have a better program than they do at this point, but have not put the money into it that they could. Back in the day of E.A Diddle, they rivaled and matched UK. I wish they would have concentrated more on the basketball program with some of the money they wasted on the football program.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:08 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
It's called 'tunnel vision' or 'one track mind'.
It's called supporting your team and having pride!! Something some people lack obviously.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:57 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Thank you for pointing that out about WKU which is the team I root for first. They should have a better program than they do at this point, but have not put the money into it that they could. Back in the day of E.A Diddle, they rivaled and matched UK. I wish they would have concentrated more on the basketball program with some of the money they wasted on the football program.

I cheer for Murray first, so I hate you!!! LOL just kidding!!!

Back in the 60's or so, teams like WKU and Murray used to be in the top 5 in the nation. Why? Because they were some of the only schools in KY to take black athletes. UK didn't.

BTW, Murray has 1,410 Division I wins all time and a 63% all time win percentage. Oh and UK has never had the balls to play Murray in basketball.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
It's called supporting your team and having pride!! Something some people lack obviously.
I have no problem supporting a sport team. Being obsessed with a team (or teams) is a bit in the beyond. Maybe it's a matter of what is really important.
If the people would have at least one more interest in life, would be a positive step. In the outside world people have a variety of interests.
If Kentucky didn't have their football and basketball...doesn't leave much else to talk about.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:08 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times
Quote:
I have no problem supporting a sport team. Being obsessed with a team (or teams) is a bit in the beyond. Maybe it's a matter of what is really important.
If the people would have at least one more interest in life, would be a positive step. In the outside world people have a variety of interests.
If Kentucky didn't have their football and basketball...doesn't leave much else to talk about.
I can't think of a state other than Delaware or maybe Rhode Island that doesn't have fans that are obsessed with teams. Go to Massachusetts and fans are obsessed with the Sox and Pats, as bad as people here are with UK or UofL. Go to Florida or Alabama, it's football 24/7. Go to Illinois and see "Orange Crush" shirts in every retail clothing store. The point is that it's everywhere, not just in KY.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:52 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I cheer for Murray first, so I hate you!!! LOL just kidding!!!

Back in the 60's or so, teams like WKU and Murray used to be in the top 5 in the nation. Why? Because they were some of the only schools in KY to take black athletes. UK didn't.

BTW, Murray has 1,410 Division I wins all time and a 63% all time win percentage. Oh and UK has never had the balls to play Murray in basketball.

E.A. Diddle was the reason WKU was the program it was in those days. It's a shame they didn't keep the program up to the level he got it to after that.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:45 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Go to Illinois and see "Orange Crush" shirts in every retail clothing store. The point is that it's everywhere, not just in KY.

Lemme tell ya somethin'; I've lived in Lexington and Chicago and there's nothing in Chicago to compare to the UK basketball obsession in Lexington, not even the Bears. Sure, there are sports fans but no sports are as important in Chicago as this UK business is in Lexington; not even the Bears, Sox, Cubs, Illini and Domers added together.

Jesus Christ, when the guy who handed out the towels and jockstraps at UK died a couple of years ago it was front page news for 4 goddam days and his body was laid in state as though he was the Pope or a president murdered in office. Meanwhile if the president of the "university" were killed by a car bomb it would probably make the first page of the B section of the paper.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:32 AM

Sure, sports fans are everywhere. But not all cities (states) revolve around sports as a reason for existing.
Anyone familiar with basketball in Kentucky would be aware that if the Cats or Cards are not rated in the national top 10 the situation is declared a crisis and state of emergency that requires urgent attention.
BTW - sports is more than just basketball and football. (Baseball, soccer, cycling, tennis, etc.)
That in Kentucky tremendous importance is placed upon basketball and football has something to say about the lives of the residents.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:03 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
That in Kentucky tremendous importance is placed upon basketball and football has something to say about the lives of the residents.
The purpose of big time sports is to give the average guy something to be an expert on. So some knothead who doesn't know who his state rep is can go on in a pedantic manner.... "let me tell you what the Cats (Bears, White Sox, Cubs etc.) need to do next year". Every man can be a Foghorn Leghorn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky