Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:15 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,491,383 times

Advertisements

If the people of KY cared for actually important & relevant things as much as their beloved Cats, the state would be much better off. The sad fact is, most don't. And the even sadder fact is, the Cats winning or losing has no absolutely no real impact on someone's life whatsoever & it doesn't matter a hill of beans what happens to them in reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The primary function for the University of Kentucky and University of Louisville is to provide thrilling sports action and to have championship caliber basketball and football teams.
I hope you're being sarcastic. I would think the point of any university would be to, oh I dunno, educate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post
It's not just popular, it's a pathetic disgusting obsession. Almost everyone here in Lexington dresses up in blue from head to toe during game days. They know more about The Cats than they know about who they voted for, God or how to operate an automobile. Nobody really has much to say in this town, other than "Go Cats" "Y'all seen that move so-and-so did last minute?" "Calipari really done come through for The Cats!" It makes me sick... I long for real conversation.
You wont get any. If this is something that's really important to you, take my advice & just move. Because it's never gonna be different & life is too short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 10:25 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,119,055 times
Some people like sports, some don't. Doesn't make either one a bad person.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:44 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,180,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Sure, sports fans are everywhere. But not all cities (states) revolve around sports as a reason for existing.
Anyone familiar with basketball in Kentucky would be aware that if the Cats or Cards are not rated in the national top 10 the situation is declared a crisis and state of emergency that requires urgent attention.
BTW - sports is more than just basketball and football. (Baseball, soccer, cycling, tennis, etc.)
That in Kentucky tremendous importance is placed upon basketball and football has something to say about the lives of the residents.

Kentucky has never been that much of a football state and every area has a certain sport they are more involved with. In Texas, Georgia, Alabama it's football, so what? This is just a pasttime for people that they can share in common.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:24 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,499,887 times
At the High School level football is bigger than bball in Louisville and Northern KY. Every where else basketball is more important at that level. Unlike most states basketball was popular before football, only in the past 15 years have spending on facilities became equal in both sports at the college level.

Cats and Cards football have a strong following but the basketball teams are much more nationally relevant. I think UK ranks 25th in football attendance and UL ranks 60th, they rank 1st and 4th in basketball attendance.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:50 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,180,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
At the High School level football is bigger than bball in Louisville and Northern KY. Every where else basketball is more important at that level. Unlike most states basketball was popular before football, only in the past 15 years have spending on facilities became equal in both sports at the college level.

Cats and Cards football have a strong following but the basketball teams are much more nationally relevant. I think UK ranks 25th in football attendance and UL ranks 60th, they rank 1st and 4th in basketball attendance.

On the high school level, football is equal to basketball in Bowling Green also. Bowling Green and Warren County produce championship teams in both sports. However, on a national level and in college sports, as you said, basketball is king. UK finally has a decent football team, but it has taken years to get to where they are. If you live in Georgia, Alabama or Louisianna football is what they live and die for.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:25 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,197,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The purpose of big time sports is to give the average guy something to be an expert on. So some knothead who doesn't know who his state rep is can go on in a pedantic manner.... "let me tell you what the Cats (Bears, White Sox, Cubs etc.) need to do next year". Every man can be a Foghorn Leghorn.
Well said! I couldn't rep you for this post, but it sums up the reason why so many are obsessed with their sport team. They have a thorough knowledge of all the players, important statistics, and various details. But (from my experience) lack in any thoroughness regarding other issues which may have a much greater impact on their lives. Some have the attitude that if you aren't obsessed with the Cards or Cats there is something wrong with you.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:54 PM

54 posts, read 165,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
When U of K football team gets ranked at or near the top in the national polls, football will come close to basketball in being equal.

I don't see that happening in the near future.

It already did. We were ranked 7th in the nation in '07. I'd say UK football is almost as popular as UK basketball.

2007 NCAA College Football Polls and Rankings for Week 8 - ESPN

Old 01-21-2010, 02:43 PM

42 posts, read 109,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post

Oh and UK has never had the balls to play Murray in basketball.
Really...implying that the soon to be number 1 team in the nation is scared to play murray state??? Interesting.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:55 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,906,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyBlue View Post
Really...implying that the soon to be number 1 team in the nation is scared to play murray state??? Interesting.
Look it up. I just find it interesting that UK has never had a problem playing basketball doormats like Morehead and Eastern. Of course when they play Western, UK can't beat them. I am guessing they won't be playing again soon. It's just odd that UK plays every other Division I school in Kentucky BUT Murray.

And geez, how many home games can UK play? I wonder how many other teams play that many home games?

Old 01-21-2010, 04:00 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,491,383 times
Aaaand the thread has been officially hijacked by the Big Blue tards arguing about their team.

Way to prove everyone's point there, guys that you have UK on the brain. There's more to life, I promise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky