Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2010, 10:21 PM

1 posts, read 7,911 times

Advertisements

from what i've read they filmed the show in friggin pennsylvania, i haven't found anything other than people's speculation that says that any part of the show was or will be filmed in kentucky, which really sucks. in fact an article i read said that future episodes will be filmed on sets in los angeles. how the hell can you make anything in california even remotely resemble kentucky? i mean i'm from somerset and i've been to los angeles and traveled around california and it looks absolutely nothing like harlan(which is where the show is supposed to be set). it's just a shame they cant take advantage of what my state has to offer, and yes i said MY state, i'm proud to live in kentucky.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 09:56 PM

146 posts, read 399,373 times
Harlan, Kentucky is a place you do NOT want to go! There is something there called the Cornbread Mafia. They are a cartel of marijuana growers who are not to be messed with. The Harlan police are afraid of these guys and half are probably members themselves. If you ever have to travel through Harlan, make sure you don't ask too many questions, and are Caucasian. These people don't mess around. People end up disappearing all the time.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:48 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,166,968 times
"The Cornbread Mafia'...lol. I don't doubt any of the corruption you are talking about though. Maybe that is what the show is about, from the previews I saw it seems that kind of show. I do wish it was filmed in Kentucky and they could get the accents close at least.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:09 AM

Location: City - Prefer the country. People shouldn't have to live where they can't see the stars.
98 posts, read 283,733 times
Rural Kentuckian said:
Quote:
Harlan, Kentucky is a place you do NOT want to go! There is something there called the Cornbread Mafia. They are a cartel of marijuana growers who are not to be messed with. The Harlan police are afraid of these guys and half are probably members themselves. If you ever have to travel through Harlan, make sure you don't ask too many questions, and are Caucasian. These people don't mess around. People end up disappearing all the time.
Sounds to me like you get your information from the media. Please let's not continue to promote that stupid Cornbread Mafia hype anymore. The Cornbread Mafia was a name the media and government hung on a bunch of guys from Marion, Washington and Nelson counties back in the 80's (The Minnesota 17). The government started calling them that because they wanted to invoke the RICO statue to ensure longer federal prision terms for their crimes of cultivation. And the media liked making them sound like a bunch of stupid inbred hillbillies, so for them it was a win-win
I worked for The Lebanon Enterprise (Marion County) and The Kentucky Standard (Nelson County) newspapers, and knew most of those guys and their families. While I will admit they were country boys, they surely weren't idiots. On the other hand, they weren't nearly as organized as any mafia either. I know media spin when I see it.
I really don't know who's growing in eastern Kentucky right now, probably a bunch of folks. And yep, they all probably know each other. I'd also guess none of them want people messing around with their patch. But the real Cornbread boys did not thug on innocents. So the people you're afraid of are really just a bunch of ridge-running-gangsta-wannabes, no matter what the media calls them (or they call themselves).... Sounds more like they should be flashing signs and wearing colors.

And dixiegirl7 said:
Quote:
Maybe that is what the show is about, from the previews I saw it seems that kind of show.
Gawd I sure hope not... My Sis mentioned this show a few months ago. I watched a preview and had no idea it was supposed to be set in Kentucky. Everyone was running around with accents I've never heard, dressed like they were headed for a rodeo or the backside of the track. Since this thread, I've been paying closer attention to the clips. And wow! There's the Second Street bridge, the Castleman statue in Cherokee Park, rolling pastures in Lexington. Then all of a sudden, someone get's blasted with a shotgun!... I mean WTH??? Is this guy supposed to be an officer of the law, or a criminal? I know both, and none of them look or sound like that guy...

Old 03-10-2010, 05:34 PM

23 posts, read 73,685 times
You can't really judge fictional cinema in the way a lot of you do. Being in this part of the map sort of programs us in to thinking that the geographical information is accurate which it often isn't. A perfect example is in In Too Deep when Omar Epps is fleeing Cincinnati. You see some sign's on the the interstate and I'm pretty sure the last exit sign you see before he's some where in the sticks says Newport,Ky leading your average viewer to believe he's hiding somewhere far away and not knowing it's actually directly across the river. It's all about creating an illusion around peoples preconceived notions hence the term movie magic. I seen it when I was a kid when my dad let the people from Sightings in the courthouse to do some ghost stuff. Then more recently with a couple of ghost shows doing Bobby Mackey's and MTV doing various "reality" shows in the area. If the fake stuff makes you mad then seeing how fake the real stuff is would make you shove a nail through your eyeball.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:03 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,166,968 times
I am sure all people from a given area know when an accent is not good in movies or tv. For some reason, the Kentucky accent is really hard for actors to get right. For one thing, each region of Kentucky has it's own distinct accent. Eastern Kentucky accents are distinctly different from Western Kentucky or southcentral Kentucky accents. I guess most people in the country will never know the difference though.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:14 PM

146 posts, read 399,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyCityDiva View Post
Rural Kentuckian said: Sounds to me like you get your information from the media. Please let's not continue to promote that stupid Cornbread Mafia hype anymore. The Cornbread Mafia was a name the media and government hung on a bunch of guys from Marion, Washington and Nelson counties back in the 80's (The Minnesota 17). The government started calling them that because they wanted to invoke the RICO statue to ensure longer federal prision terms for their crimes of cultivation. And the media liked making them sound like a bunch of stupid inbred hillbillies, so for them it was a win-win
I worked for The Lebanon Enterprise (Marion County) and The Kentucky Standard (Nelson County) newspapers, and knew most of those guys and their families. While I will admit they were country boys, they surely weren't idiots. On the other hand, they weren't nearly as organized as any mafia either. I know media spin when I see it.
I really don't know who's growing in eastern Kentucky right now, probably a bunch of folks. And yep, they all probably know each other. I'd also guess none of them want people messing around with their patch. But the real Cornbread boys did not thug on innocents. So the people you're afraid of are really just a bunch of ridge-running-gangsta-wannabes, no matter what the media calls them (or they call themselves).... Sounds more like they should be flashing signs and wearing colors.

And dixiegirl7 said:Gawd I sure hope not... My Sis mentioned this show a few months ago. I watched a preview and had no idea it was supposed to be set in Kentucky. Everyone was running around with accents I've never heard, dressed like they were headed for a rodeo or the backside of the track. Since this thread, I've been paying closer attention to the clips. And wow! There's the Second Street bridge, the Castleman statue in Cherokee Park, rolling pastures in Lexington. Then all of a sudden, someone get's blasted with a shotgun!... I mean WTH??? Is this guy supposed to be an officer of the law, or a criminal? I know both, and none of them look or sound like that guy...
You are right about them not being an actual organized mafia, and not thugging on innocents....but I've heard word-of-mouth rumors about pot growing in deeply rural areas. An acquaintance of mine's relative, a pothead, went missing with $30,000 on (or near) him and has not been seen since. There is a lot of hype surrounding pot growers in Kentucky, and the Steven Seagal movie "Fire Down Below" didn't help things much, but it still wouldn't be wise to mess with these people's crops.....unless, of course, you ARE Steven Seagal.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:20 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
It's a TV show. It's not real and it's not to meant to be real. Just go with it people! LOL

Old 03-19-2010, 09:47 AM

Location: City - Prefer the country. People shouldn't have to live where they can't see the stars.
98 posts, read 283,733 times
Quote:
It's a TV show. It's not real and it's not to meant to be real. Just go with it people!
Missy,
I realized you were right, and so I watched the first show. I'm thinking Kentucky is going to take a beating, and if that guy weren't so smoking hot, I wouldn't watch again. But OMG! I went to bed Tuesday night praying that all the meat in my freezer would turn into Raylan Givens...

Old 03-19-2010, 10:12 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,104,821 times
Harlan is an absolute ****hole, to say the least. I've been to the worst parts of Detroit and Harlan takes the cake in term of decline and general ugliness. Not only that, but the accent of Harlan is simply a mash of grunts and groans thrown over a very deep uncomprehendable southern accent with a complete lack of enunciation.

How would I know? I lived there for 10+ years.

(Someone lived in that from 94-09)

I will mention that education is top notch though with TWO over my would-be graduating class of 100 something going to COMMUNITY COLLEGE and dropping out!

That's some top notch learnin', thar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky