Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 11:53 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,171,305 times

Advertisements

I meant to watch this, but I forgot about it. What night does it come on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 07:12 PM

42 posts, read 109,726 times
tonight (tuesdays) at 10 eastern time.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:56 PM

13 posts, read 26,312 times
You are all trashing a show I just so happen to like....and I AM FROM HARLAN. I love that they did some b roll taping but until the show is picked up they won't have the budget to shoot in the locations. I know that lexington is not mountainous but c'mon folks cut them slack they appear in the first episode to be on the old bridge on richmond road which is surrounded by wooded hillsides on both sides. However the downtown scenes in both Lexington and Harlan have been shot not on location....likely that will change if the show is picked up. The opening shot of the city of harlan is dead on and they shot that from Ivy Hill...I know that because I used to live there and I think I have a photo that is the exact shot they show. Give them a break people....the accents are just fine seriously and I have listened carefully. I am proud to have that hard livin Harlan county blood in my veins....stop please the show is a good show. I for one hope it gets picked up and they tape in lexington and harlan because they need the help (more Harlan than Lexington so you Lexington critics shut up) I find the show to embody the justified ethics of a typical Harlan County resident. Try pulling on one of them and you will get shot and guaranteed they will say it is justified.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:03 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,107,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlangirl View Post
You are all trashing a show I just so happen to like....and I AM FROM HARLA Try pulling on one of them and you will get shot and guaranteed they will say it is justified.
...and that's why the rest of the state looks down on you.

Because you act like trigger-happy schoolchildren.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:06 PM

You sir or maam have offended me with your description of HARLAN. I LOVE my hometown however you have chosen to show off the worst parts. Like most people who don't know the area the view from the HIGHWAY is as far as you go. TAKE YOUR IGNORANCE and shove it where the sun does not shine. I am and always will be a Harlan native and I happen to have multiple higher degrees. I firmly put down your offensive betrayal of our home. I may not live there but my heart is there, my family rests in Resthaven next to miners who sacrificed their lives to give your ignorant behind power to do your "book learnin"....SHUT UP please before you offend the rest of the population of a hard working area with a heart of gold and nerves of pure steel.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:12 PM

It's my hometown too.

If you're into drug dealing, public corruption, poor education and regression... then yeah... that hard working area with a heart of gold is a pretty great place to call home.

...and I'm typing this from Detroit.

My experience in Harlan county was an experience that exposed me to how backwards and sickening eastern Kentucky truly is. There's nothing there of value, and being the only person from my graduating class to go to college (I only attended school there for my freshman year), the people aren't looking to be of much value outside of the mines either.

...and NEWSFLASH! The mines are going away, slowly but surely. Those that won't be mined out or stopped by the time renewable energy becomes more feasible will be holding very few jobs due to the advancement of mountaintop removal.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:31 PM

You are right that the system is broken but that is NOT a HARLAN problem it is a KENTUCKY problem. YES corruption is there but I would like for you to point out one SINGLE solitary place in our great nation that there is not a problem with this. Likely the lack of attention to bringing viable business opportunities or a lack of motivation to do better because of one reason or another is the reasoning but it is specifically NOT ONLY A HARLAN problem. I did graduate in 1993 I attended multiple schools and I am seeking a graduate degree at a prestigious University in North Carolina. However poor the area is people are good there...but put enough poverty in one place and things are bound to go badly. I believe you paint this town inappropriately poorly...the same could be said for any small town when everything has pulled out and people have lost hope....when did you last go to Harlan? I understand you had a bad experience however they are a tightly knit community and some types of people tend to rub others the wrong way. Obviously you were one of them. My family ran an upstanding respected furniture business that they started themselves and ran until my grandfather retired....you still have offended me and no lengthy explanation will suffice to appease me or take away from the fact that you speak ill of the whole based on single individuals or small groups of people whom have done wrong. THE FACT IS THOSE PEOPLE EXIST EVERYWHERE....especially in DETROIT. Oh and by the way I am in public policy so I speak to this as both a supporter of current policy for renewable energy and a solid and firm supporter of bringing life to an area that has been ignored since Robert Kennedy....whom by the way was the last candidate for public office who visited there. Thank you but I really don't need to hear any more bashing I love my hometown.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:35 PM

seriously....I speak to the mentality of the people who have had to fight for everything too hard for too long....since the 30's they have been the red headed step child of kentucky...

Old 04-24-2010, 02:42 PM

Thumbs down Hatred huh...stop it please

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
It's my hometown too.

YEAH SURE ....your profile says DE...

...and I'm typing this from Detroit.

My experience in Harlan county was an experience that exposed me to how backwards and sickening eastern Kentucky truly is. There's nothing there of value, and being the only person from my graduating class to go to college (I only attended school there for my freshman year), the people aren't looking to be of much value outside of the mines either.

...and NEWSFLASH! The mines are going away, slowly but surely. Those that won't be mined out or stopped by the time renewable energy becomes more feasible will be holding very few jobs due to the advancement of mountaintop removal.
AND NEWSFLASH TO YOU I am not a conservative... so take it elsewhere
you assume everyone born in that town is ignorant and perhaps "Republican gun toten real american blah blah blah" however you ran across perhaps one of a likely much larger group who is NOT

Last edited by harlangirl; 04-24-2010 at 02:58 PM..

Old 04-24-2010, 03:03 PM

I'm not conservative either. I don't think that being a republican or having a weapon makes you ignorant. I know that Harlan county is a laughable place with no means of supporting itself in the future. There is not a way to fix Harlan. There is nothing there one cannot find in more accessible places with a better labor pool, no incentive for ANY business to EVER establish itself there.

I agree, you shouldn't have to fight. You should swallow your pride and move somewhere with opportunities. Hell, at least with a degree you can get a job in Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky