Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2007, 05:26 AM

153 posts, read 937,614 times

Advertisements

Are there any bad areas of Georgetown? I'm looking at a house there and I can't really get a feel for how the area is. Are all areas of Georgetown pretty much safe and "nice" or are there places I should be avoiding?

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 08:28 AM

688 posts, read 3,039,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeAddict View Post
Are there any bad areas of Georgetown? I'm looking at a house there and I can't really get a feel for how the area is. Are all areas of Georgetown pretty much safe and "nice" or are there places I should be avoiding?

Thanks guys!
Hi Coffee! For the most part, Georgetown is a very safe and family friendly environment. There are a few areas (one of them is a trailer park) that I wouldn't recommend due to a few drug concerns and just some general poverty issues, but for the most part you should feel comfortable with the town.

Outside of safety issues, there are different vibes to different neighborhoods. Some are very upscale with very strict homeowner's associations, some are very laid back, some are more country or farm-based, and others are very average, typical middle-class neighborhoods like you would find in most outlying suburban areas. The downtown area is also a mix - some areas are beautifully restored with charming historic homes, while others aren't as nice.

If you want to post or even PM me the specific neighborhood or area you're considering, I would be glad to give you more info.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:35 AM

Thanks for the response! I'm looking at the area in this zip code 40324, it looks like you're average middle class neighborhood from what I've seen, but it's hard to tell without actually being there.

I was a little concerned because the house is on the cheaper side, and I don't know if that was because of the area or not as the home itself looks nice enough.

Any thoughts on that zip code?

Old 06-08-2007, 08:38 AM

Actually I think that 40324 covers all of Georgetown and most of Scott County - it is definitely a smaller town that Lexington! Is there a street or neighborhood listed, or do you know the general area where the house is located?

For the most part, homes in Georgetown are less $$ per sq ft than comparable homes in Lexington, and compared to outside of KY they are VERY affordable.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:46 AM

Pm sent.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:55 PM

53 posts, read 192,899 times
May I ask a question of nlschr0? We will be visiting Lexington later this month and I am now interested in Georgetown as a possible relocation site! (we are currently living in the Washington, D.C. suburbs) I was wondering if the commute would be bad for our son who would be attending Bluegrass CC - and later the U of Ky? (my husband will retire later this year - and I am not working - so the daily commuting issue would only apply to our son!) Thanks in advance for any info!!

Old 06-09-2007, 10:02 AM

Tory - my guess would be about 30-45 minutes on average. A lot of it depends on the area of Georgetown and how close you are to I-75 - if you can make an easy jump onto the interstate it helps a lot, but driving through downtown or from the west side of Scott county will add more time. In Lexington, Newtown Pike and the downtown area can get a little busy but not usually as much as Nicholasville Rd and parts of Tates Creek. Campus can also get congested, but Bluegrass CC on the edge of campus and has its own nearby parking.

Hope that helps!

Old 06-09-2007, 10:16 AM

53 posts, read 192,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
Tory - my guess would be about 30-45 minutes on average. A lot of it depends on the area of Georgetown and how close you are to I-75 - if you can make an easy jump onto the interstate it helps a lot, but driving through downtown or from the west side of Scott county will add more time. In Lexington, Newtown Pike and the downtown area can get a little busy but not usually as much as Nicholasville Rd and parts of Tates Creek. Campus can also get congested, but Bluegrass CC on the edge of campus and has its own nearby parking.

Hope that helps!
Yes, that certainly does help!! Thanks so much! Our traffic here is rated the 2nd worst in the country - so a commute of 30-45 minutes is not a problem at all! (p.s. - I'm now going to answer your other wonderful reply in the thread about crime!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky