Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 03:01 PM

23 posts, read 184,367 times

Advertisements

I am posting this in both the Tennesee and North Carolina forums. I am curious about your experiences at either university. I have narrowed it down to these two for grad school. Overall, we would like eclectic town. We will be visiting both schools,but wondered about personal experience with either school or the towns themselves. Also, what is the driving distance between the two? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 03:48 PM

712 posts, read 1,489,345 times
What college (Arts & Science, Nursing, Medical, etc.) at ETSU are you going to? Your experience and my response will largely depend on this

Old 06-15-2010, 06:20 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,193,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conleysd View Post
I am posting this in both the Tennesee and North Carolina forums. I am curious about your experiences at either university. I have narrowed it down to these two for grad school. Overall, we would like eclectic town. We will be visiting both schools,but wondered about personal experience with either school or the towns themselves. Also, what is the driving distance between the two? Thanks!
ASU is a great school and undeniably eclectic! My son graduated from there and loved the entire experience AND living in Boone! I guess it would depend on what your desired grad degree would be and who your professors might be. My son has retained ties with several brillant professors who helped shape who he is today.

Boone's about a half-hour to Mtn City and from there 45 mins + to JC.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:26 PM

23 posts, read 184,367 times
I am going for my Master's in English.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:03 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,629,906 times
For education, I'd go with ETSU for the value - this is a cost to quality evaluation.

For campus experience, ASU, easily. ASU's culture, athletics, and aesthetics are far better than ETSU's.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:21 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,253,448 times
I don't know what ASU's tuition is, but you're going to be out of state (for tuition purposes) at either school, right? I would definitely visit both. Johnson City is quite a bit larger, but ASU and ETSU are roughly the same, give or take a couple thousand students. That provides a much more heavy mixture of students and professors in Boone.

Boone is also a much nicer city. There seems to be a good amount of planning in its development, and Johnson City has roughly zero planning going on. Also, Boone is IN the mountains, whereas in JC you can see the mountains. Boone is probably more eclectic than Johnson City overall, but JC does have very strong pockets of eclecticism.

As far as academics, I'm not sure in English :/ I know that Boone's anthropology and sociology departments seem quite strong, and usually when those are, English is as well...

Old 06-16-2010, 09:57 AM

712 posts, read 1,489,345 times
The English Department is solid and has a good reputation at ETSU. Academic wise I am sure you will be happy with ETSU and their English faculty.

As for the city itself, it totally depends on your tastes. Many on this board do not like the layout/feel of the city. On the other hand, many love exactly what the other's hate, so it depends on personal preference. Like another poster pointed out, it also depends on whether you like living in the mountains, or having mountain views (and how much snow you like to receive).

Old 06-16-2010, 05:11 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,520,559 times
I don't think you can go wrong with either campus. Go visit and see what feels right.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:54 AM

110 posts, read 229,716 times
You might want to factor weather into your evaluation as well, especially if you'll be commuting. Weather is colder at ASU in the winter, and there will be more snow to contend with.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:48 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,193,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypitt View Post
You might want to factor weather into your evaluation as well, especially if you'll be commuting. Weather is colder at ASU in the winter, and there will be more snow to contend with.
Ah, Yes!! So true.. When my son was there and called us in Mtn City, the temps were generally at least 10 degrees colder than MC - only 30 mins away - plus there was more wind. If you dislike frigid winter weather, Boone's climate may be a determining factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol