Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 08:28 PM

32 posts, read 203,155 times

Advertisements

Having spent a bit of time now researching your state for possible relocation, I have a question regarding the "friendly people" reference I've been hearing; you know, "The people are friendly here, and if you're friendly too, you should fit in."

My question is, will someone who is friendly but very private fit in?

Obviously, this is a question only I can answer definitively, after much visiting and interacting with people. Your thoughts would give a great first indicator, though, if you'd be kind enough to share them.

Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 09:43 PM

13,356 posts, read 39,983,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedywriter View Post
Having spent a bit of time now researching your state for possible relocation, I have a question regarding the "friendly people" reference I've been hearing; you know, "The people are friendly here, and if you're friendly too, you should fit in."

Obviously, this is a question only I can answer definitively, after much visiting and interacting with people. Your thoughts would give a great first indicator, though, if you'd be kind enough to share them.

Thanks very much.
I think you'll do just fine. I'm a friendly person, but I'm also intensely private. My neighbors are friendly to me but also respect my privacy.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:32 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
Quote:

What exactly does friendly but very private mean? Is it like:

1. I've got bodies buried in the basement so leave me alone at my house but I'll say "hi" to you at the grocery store.

2. I'll wave from my car but don't expect me to put on any clothes if you come to my door.

3. I am not that roadside killer on America's Most Wanted so if you break down, I'll gladly help you change your tire...just don't stare at me, okay?

4. How can I plan my jihad and/or cook my meth and/or beat by wife if you keep coming to my door inviting me to church? smilie face, smilie face

But seriously, what do you hope people won't do? Friendly but very private might mean something different in different parts of the country.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:50 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
What would I do without you to start off my morning right, Laura C? Now, I'm off to work in a very chipper mood!

Old 03-06-2007, 05:59 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,329,215 times
You guys crack me up!
Speedywritter, If you are looking to live in the Tri-Cities area, you should be fine. It isn't Mayberry but it isn't NY City either. Check out clerks will say hello and can be chatty (some are anyway) the waiter at your favorite restaurant will remember your name, someone will slow down and wave you in if you are trying to merge into traffic, someone will ask if you have found a church of choice yet when they know you are new to town and invite you to theirs. But other than those nice little things that can make someones day, you can keep to your self here if you so choose. It is big enough to be anonymous. Now if you want to be more "interactive" there are bunches of organizations and places to volunteer to meet people.
I hope that answered your question some?

Old 03-06-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I think you'll do just fine. I'm a friendly person, but I'm also intensely private. My neighbors are friendly to me but also respect my privacy.
I'm glad to hear from you, JMT. I've read your posts, and I respect your intelligence. Thank you.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
What exactly does friendly but very private mean? Is it like:

1. I've got bodies buried in the basement so leave me alone at my house but I'll say "hi" to you at the grocery store.

2. I'll wave from my car but don't expect me to put on any clothes if you come to my door.

3. I am not that roadside killer on America's Most Wanted so if you break down, I'll gladly help you change your tire...just don't stare at me, okay?

4. How can I plan my jihad and/or cook my meth and/or beat by wife if you keep coming to my door inviting me to church? smilie face, smilie face

But seriously, what do you hope people won't do? Friendly but very private might mean something different in different parts of the country.
Ha! Not quite

Old 03-06-2007, 11:05 AM

Default clarification on private fitting in with friendly

(
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
You guys crack me up!
Speedywritter, If you are looking to live in the Tri-Cities area, you should be fine. It isn't Mayberry but it isn't NY City either. Check out clerks will say hello and can be chatty (some are anyway) the waiter at your favorite restaurant will remember your name, someone will slow down and wave you in if you are trying to merge into traffic, someone will ask if you have found a church of choice yet when they know you are new to town and invite you to theirs. But other than those nice little things that can make someones day, you can keep to your self here if you so choose. It is big enough to be anonymous. Now if you want to be more "interactive" there are bunches of organizations and places to volunteer to meet people.
I hope that answered your question some?
You did answer my question, mbmouse, and thanks for responding. I've read your posts, and I appreciate your nice, diplomatic touch with people.

And just to add some clarification to my original question, by "private" I don't actually mean avoiding people; I just mean having my boundaries respected, as I respect those of others'. For example, other than neighbors perhaps welcoming me as someone new to the area or needing something, I don't have an open-door policy at my house. In other words, I do not prefer drop-in visits. That's not because I'm hiding something in the basement It's just because I really value my peace and quiet, getting so little of that here in the rat race. However, I know many people consider that kind of visiting being friendly.

As another example, I don't feel comfortable being asked personal questions before I've developed a certain comfort level with a person. In other words, I prefer not to be asked, "Where do you church?" by someone I'm meeting for the first time. I understand many people consider that kind of questioning to be showing concern and being friendly, but I find it a little intrusive.

When either example arises, I respond as diplomatically as possible because I don't like to be rude, but then I may reduce contact with that person in the future. So would that be considered unfriendly and therefore not fitting in?

Old 03-06-2007, 03:18 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
Speedywriter:

You got some great answers, but you are still concerned. I wonder why that is. Maybe you just don't want to offend anyone, which is very nice. We had someone from California on this forum awhile back that REALLY didn't want anyone approaching her about going to church.

Are people in California a phony friendly? Is that what has all of you worried? I have to say that 99 percent of the people here are really just nice. I mean for real nice. Does that make you feel better?

Old 03-06-2007, 03:29 PM

13,356 posts, read 39,983,771 times
Quote:
I'm glad to hear from you, JMT. I've read your posts, and I respect your intelligence. Thank you.
Thanks so much! That really made my day!

And I think what the others on here have said is true; people really are genuinely nice here, but they'll also respect your privacy as long as you're not rude to them. For example, if one of your friendly neighbors asks you what church you attend, don't say something like "It's none of your business," but say something like, "I prefer to worship on my own, but if I ever change my mind I'll let you know."

I had lunch today with a couple of Mormon missionaries. They live in my neighborhood, and I wanted them to have some really good Tennessee BBQ. I asked them how people treat them. They said that even though 95% of the people really don't want to talk to them, people are nice about it; very few people actually slam doors in their faces.

I guess the lesson is: as long as you're polite to others, they'll be polite to you. And as long as you respect your neighbors' desire to be friendly to you, they'll respect your desire to be left alone. Just don't forget to wave to them as you're out mowing the lawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol