U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-03-2006, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Florida
39 posts, read 186,060 times
Reputation: 27

Advertisements

I am a single Mom of three kids interested in moving to the Tri cities area of Tennessee. We have family that has recently moved up there and like it very much. We'll be visiting in July and am very excited. I am really interested in learning more about the quality of life for teenage children and single parent families. Tennessee is a top choice for us for many obvious reasons but particularly because of the family values and beautiful setting. Being in an excellent school system is very important. I just want to make a good and healthy choice- moving three pre teens. It is scary making this change and want to be well informed.
Any info at all will be greatly appreciated! Have a great day!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-03-2006, 08:00 PM
 
Location: Illinois but Tennessee in heart
99 posts, read 255,449 times
Reputation: 18
Where exactly are you moving?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2006, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Florida
39 posts, read 186,060 times
Reputation: 27
We are looking at Johnson City, Elizabethton and Bristol or surrounding areas. I'd like to buy some acreage with a house because I'd like to preserve some nature but don't neccessarily want to be too far from town.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2006, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Johnson City, TN
130 posts, read 534,208 times
Reputation: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAdventure
I am a single Mom of three kids interested in moving to the Tri cities area of Tennessee. We have family that has recently moved up there and like it very much. We'll be visiting in July and am very excited. I am really interested in learning more about the quality of life for teenage children and single parent families. Tennessee is a top choice for us for many obvious reasons but particularly because of the family values and beautiful setting. Being in an excellent school system is very important. I just want to make a good and healthy choice- moving three pre teens. It is scary making this change and want to be well informed.
Any info at all will be greatly appreciated! Have a great day!
Why would you want to move from Florida to johnson City? Oh wait, I just did that two weeks ago.

Johnson City is the best. Bristol is okay, Kingsport is kinda funky, Greenville is nice but too small.

I can honestly say that my only regret is not doing this sooner. I'm sooo glad to be out of Florida and up here instead. The weather is excellent, the streets have zero litter on hem and the people are extremely nice.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Joe
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2006, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Florida
39 posts, read 186,060 times
Reputation: 27
Default Thank you!

Thanks Joe for the info! From your experience how do you think Pinellas county 12-15 year olds will transplant? There are lots of opportunities here but as you said the litter, disrespect and frustration may not be worth it.
Thanks again!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2006, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Tampa Bay
598 posts, read 2,144,473 times
Reputation: 213
JoeP ... a question please

Is knoxville far from there, as far as a commute for work? Would that be doable? Johnson City looks like a nice place.

I'm here in Clearwater and trying to choose between Knoxville and Pittsburgh. Kinda want to be just close enough to town but really want to live more in the country.

BTW... I'm jealous. You got out before the "h season". Good for you! Glad to hear how much you like it there
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2006, 06:19 AM
 
Location: Johnson City, TN
130 posts, read 534,208 times
Reputation: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAdventure
Thanks Joe for the info! From your experience how do you think Pinellas county 12-15 year olds will transplant? There are lots of opportunities here but as you said the litter, disrespect and frustration may not be worth it.
Thanks again!
I don't think moving 700 miles is ever easy for teens....heck, it's not easy for us as adults! From what I can tell though, I think it would be healthy for them overall as there are a lot of activities they could participate in to meet new friends and start their new lives.

When I first moved to Florida I lived in Palm Harbor, then moved to Pasco for the same reason I recently moved from Florida to Tennessee....too much congestion. That problem in Pasco has only became worse in the last few years and I don't miss it one bit.

Some maor differences between here and there:

1) Almost no traffic. I rode my bike over 300 miles Saturday and never once sat in traffic.

2) Very little crime. Of course there is some here and there but it's not like Tampa Bay where the 6;00 news is two murders, three fatal car accidents, a rape and a child molestor.

3) Wal Mart. This is going to sound absurd but I used to despise going to Wal Mart in Florida and became stressed every time I did. The Wal Mart here is not packed with people to the point that you're dodging electric scooters to save your toes. Heck, the Wal Mart deli here doesn't even have a "Talke a Number" machine, you just go when it's your turn.

All in all I'd put Johnson City ahead of Tampa Bay in just about every category. If I had kids I would be glad to relocate them here.

Joe
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2006, 06:25 AM
 
Location: Johnson City, TN
130 posts, read 534,208 times
Reputation: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal
JoeP ... a question please

Is knoxville far from there, as far as a commute for work? Would that be doable? Johnson City looks like a nice place.

I'm here in Clearwater and trying to choose between Knoxville and Pittsburgh. Kinda want to be just close enough to town but really want to live more in the country.

BTW... I'm jealous. You got out before the "h season". Good for you! Glad to hear how much you like it there
Knoxville would be too far to commmute, it's every bit of 2 hours and maybe a bit more.

Johnson City is actually a decent size city, a lot bigger than I expected it to be. It's not as big as Knoxville but Knoxville is kind of nasty too. Going through Knoxville on the highway reminds me of I4 since it seems to be under construction but nothing is happening. I'm very glad I moved to Johnson City instead of Knoxville.

Yeah, I got out before "the season" but I still have my house down there. Hopefully it sells before it blows away...

Joe
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2006, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Florida
39 posts, read 186,060 times
Reputation: 27
Any advice from families with children? I look forward to gaining more insight on the Johnson City area!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2006, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Johnson City, TN
130 posts, read 534,208 times
Reputation: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAdventure
Any advice from families with children? I look forward to gaining more insight on the Johnson City area!
Advice, yeah.....move here as quick as you can!

Ths area is very family friendly. There are a ton of parks, recreational areas and outdoor activities, plus numerous family oriented festivals. So far I've heard of the Blue Plum festival, the cranberry festival and a whole bunch of little "spring is here" type celebrations and fairs. There are numerous car shows and gardening type festivals as well.

It's realy quite something. In the three weeks I've been here I've seen one minor fender bender and have yet to hear a horn blasted in anger for the guy at the stop light not leaving within one one-hundredth of a second after the light turns green.

I took some pictures of the area yesterday and if I can figure out how to link them I'll show 'em here.

Joe
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top