Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 03:26 PM

506 posts, read 1,474,805 times

Advertisements

Yeah, what everyone else says.

By the way, my parents live outside the Memphis region now, but I grew up in Greeneville and am applying for law school at Memphis now. Greeneville is not very open to outsiders. Most all of the lawyers practicing there now are locals who get most of the work. Being from Memphis, you are more than likely more than qualified than some of those in this area, but qualifications really do not mean much here, it is about connections and being part of the good ole boy network. It is extremely different culture wise than Memphis suburbs or the rest of the mid-south.

Best of luck. If you have any questions, shoot me a PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 03:49 PM

359 posts, read 1,635,757 times
You may already know that there is a federal courthouse in Greeneville.

You might want to meet some of the lawyers there and get a feel for things, and also ask them where their children attend school.

Personally, I love Greeneville and Greene County. We looked at property there last year, and there's all types of people and places. I'm sure the culture is extremely different than Memphis, etc., (like Appal. Angler says), but that can be taken in a positive way, too.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:47 AM

20 posts, read 35,799 times
Question Relocating to Greeneville

I have been reading through posts and now I'm concerned that when I relocate to the area I will not be greeted with a very warm reception. Why do the locals not like outsiders.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:35 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,226,479 times
Greeneville's a pretty large small town. You'll be fine.

However, depending on where you're coming from or what you're looking for, Greeneville may leave a lot to be desired. It has an extremely high unemployment rate, an overall uneducated workforce, and a general culture that runs somewhat differently than places outside of southern Appalachia.

Are you relocating for a job?

Old 01-25-2010, 08:11 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,623,912 times
It's the more remote areas that MIGHT have problems with outsiders. Greenville and the Tri-Cities don't have that problem very much.

There's a big difference in Greenville and Sneedville.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:40 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,315,676 times
And there is a big difference between Greeneville city and Greene Co. Where in Greeneville were you looking at?

Old 01-25-2010, 05:44 PM

Well I'm actually relocating from Fl to give my kids a better environment to grow up in. No I do not have job lined up but figured since I have a medical backround I would not have to much of a problem finding a job. Also planning to go back to school so any info on colleges/universities would be appreciated.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:47 PM

Not sure where in Greeneville to look. Close to schools but not in a traditional neighborhood-want lots of space. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:14 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,226,479 times
Jones Bridge Road is a great area. Still rural, yet an extremely quick drive into Greeneville city. Eastern Greene County in general - Horse Creek (though stay far away from the entrance to the Horse Creek park), Afton, Tusculum, Rheatown/Chuckey.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:32 PM

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol