Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 06:33 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,869,640 times

Advertisements

I must admit that we researched crime very hard before narrowing down our choices of where to live, and in virtually all instances, the larger the minority population the larger the crime rate. That is, glaringly, what the statistics report. I must say that population size and economics were factors as well.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:57 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,376,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robivi3 View Post
Crime reporting is a matter of what is considered a crime. I am a TN native living in SoFla right next to lauderhill in SUNRISE. I own a home in Crossville. I can you assure that Lauderhill, famous for anonymous gay sex in its parks, SIGNS ARE POSTED AT ALL THE LOVELY CITY PARKS WARNING NICE FOLKS TO BE AWARE, Lauderhill with the once beautiful now thanks to FAIR HOUSING LAWS decrepit, "Jackie Gleason's Inverarry" is a crime ridden rathole from which much of channel 4 news is derived. So much for tolerance, and those who lie when they say they love it. I am headed for retirement in about 4 years to intolerant, clean, imperfect Crossville. I can then be comfortable like those who don't live in expensive sh*th*les like Sunrise and declare how I don't mind being loving and tolerant, VERY EASY WHEN YOUR TOWN ISN'T OVERRUN BY CRIME, WHEN YOU CAN'T EVEN STOP FOR GAS AT THE CORNER AT NITE, try stopping at the Shell at Hiatus and Oakland, oh i forgot they gave up and closed at nite now, tired of robberies. I have three sons, all teenagers who had to endure "cracker day" at Westpine Middle School when the Broward County Schoolboard said "not a problem" to my wife because they were AFRAID to speak out, because when we did no one else wanted to, including Hispanics who were friends of ours, we Colombian/American. Most white parents kept the kids out of school those days. Because it wasn't the other way around. I remember a white kid at Piper being pushed and recieving brain damage by a group of young blacks, because he was white, fine, no hate crime there. Let's all speak the truth about what we are getting away from and quit prancing around.
Although I still love Ft Lauderdale and visit regularly I was'nt aware Inverarry had gone down hill that bad, Lauderhill by 441 has always been a bit sketchy even dating back to the 70's and sunrise and sistrunk...well unless you like lead with your bbq...lol we always stayed away from.
Problems at Parkway were a daily thing and I ended up in a private school myself so I understand.
Hope you enjoy it in Crossville, there are several of us transplants so you should feel right at home, sunday mornings at the cracker barrel you'll bump into a few from Plantation acres, melrose park and lauderhill.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:11 PM

69 posts, read 254,165 times
Default More Florida Crime - Lauderhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
Although I still love Ft Lauderdale and visit regularly I was'nt aware Inverarry had gone down hill that bad, Lauderhill by 441 has always been a bit sketchy even dating back to the 70's and sunrise and sistrunk...well unless you like lead with your bbq...lol we always stayed away from.
Problems at Parkway were a daily thing and I ended up in a private school myself so I understand.
Hope you enjoy it in Crossville, there are several of us transplants so you should feel right at home, sunday mornings at the cracker barrel you'll bump into a few from Plantation acres, melrose park and lauderhill.
Breaking News as I'm typing - Lauderhill, FL, bank robbery, swat team has large apartment complex surrounded where they believe the suspect(s) are hiding. Residents are ordered not to leave their apartment or look out their windows; no one allowed in or out of complex.

A sad situation - typical for a lot of areas in the state of FL. No wonder so many folks are leaving; then add hurricanes, outrageously high homeowner's insurance and property tax. Last one out turn off the lights!!

Old 10-05-2007, 03:33 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
Folks, lets keep this thread on topic. It's title is Floridians in the Tri-Cities, not what is wrong with FL ahhahahaha.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:41 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
but its all related!!-lol

sunny

Old 10-05-2007, 04:08 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I don't want to step on any toes, but the OP was about Floridians moving to Tennessee and then it was insinuated that there was more crime in the area than in the city in Florida where the OP lives.

So...I just really want to say this.

My husband lived in Chicago until he was 12. Not the best area, either. Not the worst but it wasn't very good. He had no problems attending school there.

When he moved to Fort Myers, Florida, he was continually targeted by gangs and attacked. One such attack did permanent physical damage. And this was at Fort Myers High School, which is often described as one of the best high schools in the country by Florida forum posters.

I think there is something very wrong with this. And it is not a prejudicial statement. There are many more blacks in Chicago than in Fort Myers.

Florida is just a strange place.

And Tennessee is not. We moved here so our daughter could go to decent schools without fear.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:20 PM

63 posts, read 302,709 times
Like all that! I think this little derail began with crime rates and me chiming in. Just realize that crime rates are reported differently and depend on factors such as desires for funding or simply what sort of crimes are reported. In some places you get arrested for passing bum checks, here it is normal. Take personal experience listed here as a real "crime rate".

Also, I don't kmow anymore if I am a Floridian with a place in Tennessee or a Tennessean living in Florida. I do like many things here but, having grown up in Forest Hills outside of Nashville and attending Oak Hill and BGA for a short time I can tell you that you Floridians who have made the jump succesfully are blessed. And i am not ranting against black people, but having been chased out of North Miami, one of the last white/hispanic families in the neighborhood and now seriously considering leaving broward to ride out the last few years in Palm Beach I have had enough of the destruction of towns, murders, broken bottles in the parking lots and robberies that come with living with them. I prefer the very segregated areas of the Cumberland.

If anyone doesn't like it to bad. I have lived with and seen what they do to a neighborhood. I have never seen them move in and the status quo not change, they are death to any decent area.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:25 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robivi3 View Post
Like all that! I think this little derail began with crime rates and me chiming in. Just realize that crime rates are reported differently and depend on factors such as desires for funding or simply what sort of crimes are reported. In some places you get arrested for passing bum checks, here it is normal. Take personal experience listed here as a real "crime rate".

Also, I don't kmow anymore if I am a Floridian with a place in Tennessee or a Tennessean living in Florida. I do like many things here but, having grown up in Forest Hills outside of Nashville and attending Oak Hill and BGA for a short time I can tell you that you Floridians who have made the jump succesfully are blessed. And i am not ranting against black people, but having been chased out of North Miami, one of the last white/hispanic families in the neighborhood and now seriously considering leaving broward to ride out the last few years in Palm Beach I have had enough of the destruction of towns, murders, broken bottles in the parking lots and robberies that come with living with them. I prefer the very segregated areas of the Cumberland.

If anyone doesn't like it to bad. I have lived with and seen what they do to a neighborhood. I have never seen them move in and the status quo not change, they are death to any decent area.
Well if it's black people you are trying to avoid you should of moved to Davie if you were going to live in Broward in the first place...not very blacks in west Davie, unless you consider 3% a lot.Probably never will be either. Even the schools aren't over 4% black. Tennessee definitely seems like a much better fit for you though, since you can escape "diversity" completely. In South Florida you can only isolate yourself from it and only do that very expensively, if this is the lifestyle that feels right for you. One of the greatest assets of our beautiful country is that one can have the opportunity live in such a variety of social, political, and physical climates.

Anyway I have nothing to do with this forum at this point so I'm outta here...

Last edited by compelled to reply; 10-05-2007 at 08:37 PM..

Old 10-05-2007, 08:39 PM

63 posts, read 302,709 times
No, I'm outta here, we'll get to far off subject. If your neighborhood has improved tell me. In the mean time if you haven't put kids through SoFla Public Schools, IN THE EAST then not much comparison. I've lived Sunrise many, many years. It is not a matter "don't like", it is a matter of what is true and what is not true. If you do like what they do to a neighborhood them move to Lauderhill. I'll bet that you live west of me or in a nice little enclave. And do you have children who have recently attended Public High School here.

Do we just surrender every neighborhood. It was so strange in North Miami to see and speak to neighbors who said "oh, it's OK we are all alike". When the change came they were the first ones to sell. When we finally decided to sell was after repeated nights of gunshots along NE 9th avenue and 140 street (our house) down in the North Maimi Senior High parking lot. The last night my three boys (who were 5,4 and 2, 1991) stayed in the house a bullet came through their room window and grazed the top of the bunk bed. I suppose that to prove "I like black people" I should have stayed and let them shoot my son. My buddy who had a family and ran the Farm Store on West Dixie and 138th stayed after we left, it cost him his life as he ran that Farm Store one night. Bfore I left my best friend, a Miami Dade Police Officer was killed April 27th 1990 not three blocks from my home, I heard the helicopter carrying his body fly directly over my bedroom at 4:30 am, he was shot in the carotid artery by several "African American youths". You can look the date up, you'll find his name and the location. Suppose I should have stayed so i could prove that i like black people. No offense meant but I don't give damn who doesn't like what I've said. It is the truth, you know it, I know it and everyone else knows it, they destroy neighborhoods.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:47 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
OK, folks, sorry but time to close this thread. It has not only gone off topic but several posts had to be deleted for violations against the T.O.S. and doesn't seem to be getting any better or back on track as on a topic of TN. However for those looking for comparisons between FL and TN it may include information someone may need so I will close it verses delete it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol