Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 06:43 AM

10 posts, read 14,422 times

Advertisements

I can report the same as above. People are very nice here. There are some areas where people might keep to themselves more than other areas, but in general they are very friendly "just people". People who don't like to be made fun of for their accent or their ways just like anyone else. But people who are good-hearted and just nice folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 06:29 PM

11 posts, read 22,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Lovin' Girl View Post
I can report the same as above. People are very nice here. There are some areas where people might keep to themselves more than other areas, but in general they are very friendly "just people". People who don't like to be made fun of for their accent or their ways just like anyone else. But people who are good-hearted and just nice folks.

Im thinking that when I get to Tennessee I'm gonna be the one with the accent. But I know y'all out there won't mind my california accent the one thing I need to try and shake is the (Dude!) term I have said it for 35 years and its just another term to me like( Man!) too. I'm 49 but those are a couple of bad habits I never quit. It is awfully hard to to teach an old dog new tricks of (Terms) but at least the bass could care less

Im finished rambling now see y'all or actually all y'all soon

Russ Taylor
SikofSoCal

Old 09-09-2011, 06:49 AM

510 posts, read 1,388,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SikofSoCal View Post
Im thinking that when I get to Tennessee I'm gonna be the one with the accent. But I know y'all out there won't mind my california accent the one thing I need to try and shake is the (Dude!) term I have said it for 35 years and its just another term to me like( Man!) too. I'm 49 but those are a couple of bad habits I never quit. It is awfully hard to to teach an old dog new tricks of (Terms) but at least the bass could care less

SikofSoCal
I think the terms you mentioned are well entrenched in the eastern Tennessee vocabulary thanks in part to Sean Penn's movie characters and other films such as "Wayne's World". In fact, the Ca accent probably will sound most natural given the influence of TV and movies.

What people hear and what they speak are not necessarily equal- you may have pause trying to understand some our unique mangling of the Queen's English. I think there is a thread on here regarding about some of the ET ways of "sanit".

Old 09-13-2011, 02:42 PM

I don't think people here care that much how you talk as long as you are friendly and down to earth.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:32 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
I had the opportunity to visit eastern TN last month, along I-81, and thought it was downright beautiful. I didn't interact with any people, though. I would put it on my consideration list of places to move to in the future, but I do have some qualms. I am from Connecticut, and I'm a homosexual and an atheist. I keep these things to myself unless asked and am generally an introverted, quiet person. Most people can't tell that I'm gay though. Do you think that would be a problem in East TN?

Old 09-18-2011, 01:16 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
Hi Nep, I am from Colchester CT area origonaly so kind of know where your coming from. Been here in NETN for over 12 years so I know where you are heading LOL!. There is actualy a very large gay community in Johnson City. It is kind of "normal" these days and very few bat an eye about it any more. You will love it here.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,419 times
I agree that rude people can be found anywhere however my experience with rude people in East Tennessee has not be with immigrants from other countries or even other U.S. citizens who have moved to Tennessee from other states.

My birthplace was Kentucky and I moved to Anderson County Tennessee when I was very young and left to live and work abroad in Asia, Europe and the Middle East for over 22 years returning to live in Knoxville Tennessee 3 years ago and I can honestly say that there is no place like home.
Thank being said I don’t much care for home, my house is on the market and my personnel effects ship tomorrow.

Not all but plenty enough of the locals here have issues with prejudice towards race, religion and nationality; theft and drugs are all to common offenses; work ethics are poorly and many of these fine folks are insecure about themselves and angry.

Who needs to live with that crowed they refuse to change, blame outsiders for there problems and pretend to be proud and want to fight anyone who doesn’t go along with them.

Good luck in Tennessee you will need it!

Old 09-28-2011, 01:02 PM

I will just say that this is a conservative area. In bigger towns/cities it might not be so noticeable, but where I live it would be.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:10 PM

I love TN for its conservatism in this area where we live. We are not prejudiced though we don't agree with some things that are commonly accepted today. We aren't afraid to say that. We love all people, but can not accept all beliefs and lifestyles. Anyway, we will never leave this beautiful place and love the people, too.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:09 AM

591 posts, read 866,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Lovin' Girl View Post
As far as I'm concerned (another guy from California) East Tennessee accents, particularly those around Bristol, are the best in the world; and I can't help it, a woman with that accent just gets me, if you catch my drift (thinking about the regional call center lady who helped me with my dumb bank when it locked my debit card for "irregular activity" - I didn't want to hang up, I wanted to soak in the beauty of her speech!)

Someday soon, I will move there......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol