Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 01:10 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,806,301 times

Advertisements

Mr. Cross, if you live on Fairview Ave. then you do indeed live in one of Kingsport's worst -- and smelliest -- neighborhoods. My aunt lived just 2 blocks from you on Morison Ave. and things were very quiet there except for the Stone Drive traffic, but it still looks like a slice of Norman Rockwell's America. Nearby Sevier Terrace is a very nice neighborhood but it abuts a pretty rough area. Model City Apts. was a lousy place even 25 years ago.

The main culprit odor-wise is actually Weyerhaeuser, which is very close to you as the crow flies. I live near D-B and am subjected to the rotten egg/mayonnaise smell once or twice a week, but I never smelled a thing in the two years I lived in Hiara Heights (about 1/2 mile from you). If one lives outside about a 1.5-mile radius of Weyerhaeuser & Eastman, foul smells will very rarely if ever be experienced.

I'm sorry that you're so miserable where you currently live, but there are literally dozens of areas in Kingsport that might suit y'all much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 08:19 AM

119 posts, read 396,857 times
Thank you for the information, Mr. Cross. Yes, we passed the Eastman plant on our way in, and I kind of figured that there were certain days you could smell it.

Do you have a job in Kingsport, or are you retired? Regardless, maybe you should check out surrounding towns, like Gray, Johnson City, Jonesborough. You'd be close enough to the things you like and are familiar with, without the smell.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:56 AM

27 posts, read 59,638 times
Thanks for the pics MB.

Also appreciate info from Mr. Cross, SuzoeQFL and Kamoshika about smells around K'port area.

May not have known about that when visiting on my fact-finding trip later this year, but will definitely be on the watch...

All in all, I bet it still doesn't come close to the amazing fragrance (yes, I'm being facetious) we get as a byproduct of living within breathing distance of Los Angeles, Mexico...er...California (pun due to a recent billboard incident which caused a bit of an uproar there). We're actually 100 miles from downtown LA, but still get the smog overhead on some days....actually a lot of days!

Last edited by LhasaPoo; 08-26-2007 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: Didn't finish post

Old 08-26-2007, 05:06 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,869,253 times
Well, I'm proud to say my wife and I will be new residents of Jonesborough as of 9/4/07. mb, if you take a picture and see a fat guy in a Florida Gator t-shirt in the shot, then it is probably me. I will be proud to be a Tennessean, but the wife and I will always be Gators. I do promise, however, to mind my manners during sporting events.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:00 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williboy View Post
Well, I'm proud to say my wife and I will be new residents of Jonesborough as of 9/4/07. mb, if you take a picture and see a fat guy in a Florida Gator t-shirt in the shot, then it is probably me. I will be proud to be a Tennessean, but the wife and I will always be Gators. I do promise, however, to mind my manners during sporting events.
LOL!!! Well, now I will walk up to everyone with your description and ask "Hey, are you Williboy?" And seeing as I have been here long enough to have the accent to go with it (some days more than others, no idea why) I might get away with it if it's not you. hahahahha
Better yet, please stop by and say hello when you make it to town, I love meeting my City-Data friends in person.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:08 PM

4 posts, read 10,380 times
mbmouse, great photos! Thanks for sharing, we are planning a trip to the area in mid Nov 2007. Is there any campground open in the Jonesborough area that time of year? Also, looking for Home to buy. Can you recommend a realtor? Thanks, Dan

Old 10-09-2007, 05:23 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usavet View Post
mbmouse, great photos! Thanks for sharing, we are planning a trip to the area in mid Nov 2007. Is there any campground open in the Jonesborough area that time of year? Also, looking for Home to buy. Can you recommend a realtor? Thanks, Dan
Hi usavet, glad you enjoyed the pictures. The only campground I can think of at the moment near Jonesborough is Davy Crockett Birthplace off 11E has one, just not sure about if they operate in November. As for a Realtor, I'll DM you that info.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Hi usavet, glad you enjoyed the pictures. The only campground I can think of at the moment near Jonesborough is Davy Crockett Birthplace off 11E has one, just not sure about if they operate in November. As for a Realtor, I'll DM you that info.
Thanks Much!

Old 10-09-2007, 05:56 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,806,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usavet View Post
...we are planning a trip to the area in mid Nov 2007. Is there any campground open in the Jonesborough area that time of year?
Persimmon Ridge Campground is open year-round and only 1 mile from downtown Jonesborough:
Town of Jonesborough - Parks & Rec - Campgrounds
Tennessee Vacation - Persimmon Ridge Campground

Old 10-09-2007, 06:28 PM

Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
Persimmon Ridge Campground is open year-round and only 1 mile from downtown Jonesborough:
Town of Jonesborough - Parks & Rec - Campgrounds
Tennessee Vacation - Persimmon Ridge Campground
kamoshika, thank you I found it in the campground directory it looks great and not far from anything. We will be there over Thangsgiving and really looking forward to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol