Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 03:46 PM

12 posts, read 15,310 times

Advertisements

Wow, good to know .. I grew up pretty near an active rail line, but not that active, and not that near!

That's a very insightful question, and points out where I need to do some concrete calculations. It depends on the breed, but given milk production of, say, 12000 gal a year per cow, and the thought that I'd experiment with different products, but am not at all looking to sell pasteurized wholesale... 20 would be a lot! Even 10 would be a lot. But I have been hoping for at least 100 acres, so a smaller place (like this at 40 acres) I would want close in to do better direct marketing and interaction (i.e. eat ice cream at the farm). Unfortunately, that also then complicates things with the patchwork of state-specific food production/sale regulations.

Actually, more important than calculations, I need to get a better feel for similar operations - non wholesale ones that produce some assortment of raw milk/cream/butter/cheese/yogurt/kefir/icecream etc. I'd like to meet someone running such a small dairy. My knowledge thusfar is mostly from books, and mostly general at that - Gene Logsdon, John Seymour, Joel Salatin... But I don't have lots of farmers in my church here like I did growing up, though one of my coworkers and his wife are trying to do a small produce farm with the wife as main manager & labor . He commutes a couple hours in in order to do so, and he's got just a few acres.

Thank you for the thoughts. Each one refines my understanding of the area a bit more. And good to hear someone use the term "bottom land" - almost no one I interact with here in Silicon Valley would know what that even means ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 10:54 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
If you get excited about bottom land, upstate (TN) might be the place for you! I think looking in Washington County (Telford, Limestone, Jonesborough, Fall Branch) or south/eastern Greene County (Camp Creek, Afton, Chuckey, Rheatown, Newmansville) is a good idea as well, recommended by Jim. I was raised on a farm on the 107 Highway. Actually, my dad just sold out his 120-cow dairy. Too bad ya'll weren't moving a couple months ago, we could have set you up with a herd. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol